Dr Marco Tien-Yueh Schneider
Marco is a Research Fellow at the Auckland Bioengineering Institute.
Marco graduated from the University of Auckland with a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Biomedical Engineering in 2012. He went on to join the Musculoskeletal System Group and completed his PhD in Bioengineering in 2017.
The focus of his research is on the development of computational tools for medical image segmentation and population-based musculoskeletal models for characterising and understanding joint biomechanics.
Research | Current
Marco is continuing his work in medical image segmentation and musculoskeletal modelling in both the basal thumb joint and the knee joint. Currently, Marco is working on the Knee Hub project.
- Joint biomechanics
- Statistical shape modelling
- Medical image segmentation and processing
- Musculoskeletal modelling
- Finite element modelling
Nynke Rooks - PhD student (co-supervised with Thor Besier)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Lynch, J. T., Schneider, M. T. Y., Perriman, D. M., Scarvell, J. M., Pickering, M. R., Asikuzzaman, M., ... Smith, P. N. (2019). Statistical shape modelling reveals large and distinct subchondral bony differences in osteoarthritic knees. Journal of biomechanics, 93, 177-184. 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2019.07.003
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Thor Besier
- Schneider, M. T. Y., Zhang, J., Crisco, J. J., Weiss, A.-P. C., Ladd, A. L., Nielsen, P. M. F., & Besier, T. (2019). Automatic segmentation of the thumb trapeziometacarpal joint using parametric statistical shape modelling and random forest regression voting. Computer methods in biomechanics and biomedical engineering. Imaging& visualization, 7 (3), 297-301. 10.1080/21681163.2018.1501765
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ju Zhang, Poul Nielsen, Thor Besier
- Schneider, M. T., Zhang, J., Walker, C., Crisco, J., Weiss, A., Ladd, A., ... Besier, T. (2018). Early morphologic changes in trapeziometacarpal joint bones with osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 26 (10), 1338-1344. 10.1016/j.joca.2018.06.008
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ju Zhang, Cameron Walker, Poul Nielsen, Thor Besier
- Schneider, M. T., Zhang, J., Crisco, J. J., Weiss, A.-P. C., Ladd, A. L., Mithraratne, K., ... Besier, T. (2017). Trapeziometacarpal joint contact varies between men and women during three isometric functional tasks. Medical Engineering and Physics, 50, 43-49. 10.1016/j.medengphy.2017.09.002
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kumar Mithraratne, Poul Nielsen, Thor Besier, Ju Zhang
- Fernandez, J., Yeung, S., Swee, A., Schneider, M., Besier, T., & Zhang, J. (2017). On the use of population-based statistical models in biomechanics. In M. J. Caplan (Ed.) Encyclopedia of biomedical engineering (pp. ). Netherlands: Elsevier. 10.1016/b978-0-12-801238-3.99924-0
- Schneider, M., Zhang, J., Crisco, J., Weiss, A., Ladd, A., Nielsen, P., & Besier, T. (2015). Men and women have similarly shaped carpometacarpal joint bones. Journal of Biomechanics, 48 (12), 3420-3426. 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2015.05.031
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Poul Nielsen, Thor Besier, Ju Zhang