Professor Michael Peter Findlay
Michael Findlay completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Otago. He was awarded his Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in 1990 after training in Wellington and Sydney. His post-Fellowship research in the treatment of gastro-intestinal cancers at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London resulted in the awarding of the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1995. After appointments at Sydney Cancer Centre and Wellington Cancer Centre between 1994 and 2002, he was appointed as the foundation Professor in Oncology at the University of Auckland. With his appointment he established Cancer Trials New Zealand, a clinical trials coordinating centre engaged in the design and conduct of clinical and translational trials in a wide range of cancer types – trials that are considered to be of particular significance to New Zealanders. Other current activities related to cancer and cancer research include: board director and deputy–chairman of the Australasian Gastro-Intestinal Trials Group and its Scientific Advisory Committee; member of the Genesis Oncology Trust Scientific Evaluation Committee, board member of the Auckland Division of the New Zealand Cancer Society; and member of the National Ethics Advisory Committee. Michael is an advocate of research-driven cancer care.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Burns, K. E., Allright, D., Porter, D., Findlay, M. P., & Helsby, N. A. (2019). A simple ex vivo bioassay for 5-FU transport into healthy buccal mucosal cells. Cancer chemotherapy and pharmacology, 84 (4), 739-748. 10.1007/s00280-019-03904-4
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nuala Helsby, Katie Burns
- So, Y. J., Jameson, M., Newton, V., O'Donnell A, Jeffery, M., Jackson, C., ... Anderson, M. (2019). Investigating strategies to improve clinical trial opportunities for patients with cancer in New Zealand-INSIGHT. The New Zealand medical journal, 132 (1498), 10-31.
- Gibbs, P., Heinemann, V., Sharma, N. K., Taieb, J., Ricke, J., Peeters, M., ... Strickland, A. (2018). Effect of Primary Tumor Side on Survival Outcomes in Untreated Patients With Metastatic Colorectal Cancer When Selective Internal Radiation Therapy Is Added to Chemotherapy: Combined Analysis of Two Randomized Controlled Studies. Clinical colorectal cancer, 17 (4), e617-e629. 10.1016/j.clcc.2018.06.001
- Woodhouse, B., Robb, T. J., Hearn, J. I., Houseman, P. S., Hayward, G., Miller, R., ... Print, C. G. (2018). Merkel Cell Polyomavirus is uncommon in New Zealand Merkel Cell Carcinomas. British Journal of Dermatology, 179 (5), 1197-1198. 10.1111/bjd.16903
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Tamsin Robb, Braden Woodhouse, James Hearn, Ben Lawrence, Cristin Print, Kate Parker, Cherie Blenkiron
- Corter, A. L., Broom, R., Porter, D., Harvey, V., & Findlay, M. (2018). Predicting nonadherence to adjuvant endocrine therapy in women with early stage breast cancer. Psycho-oncology, 27 (9), 2096-2103. 10.1002/pon.4771
- Woodhouse, B., Parker, K., Robb, T., Houseman, P., Restall, P., Miller, R., ... Print, C. (24/8/2018). New Zealand Merkel Cell Carcinomas present with body laterality potentially linked to sun exposure. Poster presented at New Zealand Society for Oncology Conference 2018, Queenstown, New Zealand. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ben Lawrence, Braden Woodhouse, Kate Parker, Tamsin Robb, Cristin Print, Cherie Blenkiron
- Sharples, K. J., Firth, M. J., Hinder, V. A., Hill, A. G., Jeffery, M., Sarfati, D., ... Reid, P. M. (2018). The New Zealand PIPER Project: colorectal cancer survival according to rurality, ethnicity and socioeconomic deprivation-results from a retrospective cohort study. New Zealand Medical Journal, 131 (1476), 24-39. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Papaarangi Reid, Andrew Hill
- So, Y., Anderson, M. C., Findlay, M. P. N., Gregory, K., Jackson, C., & Jameson, M. B. (2018). Investigating strategies to improve clinical trial opportunities in oncology in New Zealand (INSIGHT). JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ONCOLOGY. (pp. 1). 10.1200/JCO.2018.36.15_suppl.e18851
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Michael Jameson