Dr Nicola Suzanne Anstice
Nicola obtained her B.Optom (Hons) degree from The University of Auckland in 1998 and then worked in private optometry practice for six years.
She returned to the department in 2005 to undertake her PhD looking at a new contact lens to slow myopia progression in children.
She submitted her PhD in 2009 and spent a year working as a paediatric optometrist in the Department of Ophthalmology, Manukau Super Clinic before returning to take up a lecturer’s position in the Department of Optometry & Vision Science.
Research | Current
- Binocular vision development in amblyopic children
- Vision and visual processing in children who have experienced neonatal hypoglycaemia
- Vision screening in New Zealand
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Chapman, N. A., Anstice, N. S., & Jacobs, R. J. (2019). Geographic distribution of eye-care practitioners in Aotearoa/New Zealand: implications for future eye health workforce. Clinical & experimental optometry10.1111/cxo.12998
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Robert Jacobs
- Hamm, L. M., Langridge, F., Black, J. M., Anstice, N. S., Vuki, M., Fakakovikaetau, T., ... Dakin, S. C. (2019). Evaluation of vision screening of 5-15-year-old children in three Tongan schools: comparison of The Auckland Optotypes and Lea symbols. Clinical & experimental optometry10.1111/cxo.12958
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Fiona Langridge, Lisa Hamm, Cameron Grant, Steven Dakin, Joanna Black
- Williams, J. L., Everett, J. M., D Cunha, N. M., Sergi, D., Georgousopoulou, E. N., Keegan, R. J., ... Naumovski, N. (2019). The Effects of Green Tea Amino Acid L-Theanine Consumption on the Ability to Manage Stress and Anxiety Levels: a Systematic Review. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition10.1007/s11130-019-00771-5
- Hamm, L. M., Anstice, N. S., Black, J. M., & Dakin, S. C. (2018). Recognition acuity in children measured using The Auckland Optotypes. Ophthalmic & physiological optics : the journal of the British College of Ophthalmic Opticians (Optometrists), 38 (6), 596-608. 10.1111/opo.12590
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lisa Hamm, Joanna Black, Steven Dakin
- Gao, T. Y., Ledgeway, T., Lie, A. L., Anstice, N., Black, J., McGraw, P. V., & Thompson, B. (2018). Orientation Tuning and Contrast Dependence of Continuous Flash Suppression in Amblyopia and Normal Vision. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science, 59 (13), 5462-5472. 10.1167/iovs.18-23954
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Yitian Tina Gao, Alyssa Lie, Joanna Black, Benjamin Thompson
- Goodman, L. K., Anstice, N. S., Stevens, S., Thompson, B., & Wouldes, T. A. (2018). Classical Short-Delay Eyeblink Conditioning in One-Year-Old Children. Journal of Visualized Experiments, 139.10.3791/58037
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Suzanne Stevens, Lucy Goodman, Benjamin Thompson, Trecia Wouldes
- Collins, A. V., Noori, M., Jacobs, R. J., & Anstice, N. S. (2018). Feedback improves measured visual acuity in adults. Paper presented at Annual Meeting of the Association-for-Research-in-Vision-and-Ophthalmology (ARVO), Honolulu, HI. 29 April - 3 May 2018. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. (pp. 2). Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Collins, Robert Jacobs
- Black, J., Davidson, B., Field, B., Mathan, J., & Anstice, N. S. (1/7/2018). How repeatable are measures of heterophoria? Implications for clinical practice. Poster presented at Annual Meeting of the Association-for-Research-in-Vision-and-Ophthalmology (ARVO), Honolulu, HI. INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Joanna Black