Dr Nicola Suzanne Anstice
Nicola obtained her B.Optom (Hons) degree from The University of Auckland in 1998 and then worked in private optometry practice for six years.
She returned to the department in 2005 to undertake her PhD looking at a new contact lens to slow myopia progression in children.
She submitted her PhD in 2009 and spent a year working as a paediatric optometrist in the Department of Ophthalmology, Manukau Super Clinic before returning to take up a lecturer’s position in the Department of Optometry & Vision Science.
Research | Current
- Binocular vision development in amblyopic children
- Vision and visual processing in children who have experienced neonatal hypoglycaemia
- Vision screening in New Zealand
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Gao, T. Y., Ledgeway, T., Lie, A. L., Anstice, N., Black, J., McGraw, P. V., & Thompson, B. (2018). Orientation Tuning and Contrast Dependence of Continuous Flash Suppression in Amblyopia and Normal Vision. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science, 59 (13), 5462-5472. 10.1167/iovs.18-23954
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Yitian Tina Gao, Alyssa Lie, Joanna Black, Benjamin Thompson
- Goodman, L. K., Anstice, N. S., Stevens, S., Thompson, B., & Wouldes, T. A. (2018). Classical Short-Delay Eyeblink Conditioning in One-Year-Old Children. Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE (139).10.3791/58037
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Suzanne Stevens, Benjamin Thompson, Trecia Wouldes
- Collins, A. V., Noori, M., Jacobs, R. J., & Anstice, N. S. (2018). Feedback improves measured visual acuity in adults. Paper presented at Annual Meeting of the Association-for-Research-in-Vision-and-Ophthalmology (ARVO), Honolulu, HI. 29 April - 3 May 2018. INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE. (pp. 2).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Robert Jacobs
- Black, J., Davidson, B., Field, B., Mathan, J., & Anstice, N. S. (1/7/2018). How repeatable are measures of heterophoria? Implications for clinical practice. Poster presented at Annual Meeting of the Association-for-Research-in-Vision-and-Ophthalmology (ARVO), Honolulu, HI. INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Joanna Black
- Goodman, L., Chakraborty, A., Paudel, N., Yu, T.-Y., Jacobs, R. J., Harding, J. E., ... CHYLD Study Group (2018). Vision screening at two years does not reduce the prevalence of reduced vision at four and a half years of age. Clinical and Experimental Optometry, 101 (4), 527-534. 10.1111/cxo.12645
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Robert Jacobs, Jane Harding, Benjamin Thompson, Lucy Goodman
- Hamm, L. M., Yeoman, J. P., Anstice, N., & Dakin, S. C. (2018). The Auckland Optotypes: An open-access pictogram set for measuring recognition acuity. Journal of vision, 18 (3)10.1167/18.3.13
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lisa Hamm, Steven Dakin
- Gao, T. Y., Anstice, N., Babu, R. J., Black, J. M., Bobier, W. R., Dai, S., ... Jiang, Y. (2018). Optical treatment of amblyopia in older children and adults is essential prior to enrolment in a clinical trial. Ophthalmic & physiological optics : the journal of the British College of Ophthalmic Opticians (Optometrists), 38 (2), 129-143. 10.1111/opo.12437
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Benjamin Thompson, Yitian Tina Gao, Joanna Black, Yannan Jiang, Cindy Guo, Varsha Parag, Natalie Walker
- McKinlay, C. J., Alsweiler, J. M., Anstice, N. S., Burakevych, N., Chakraborty, A., Chase, J. G., ... Jiang, Y. (2017). Association of neonatal glycemia with neurodevelopmental outcomes at 4.5 years. JAMA Pediatrics, 171 (10), 972-983. 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2017.1579
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jane Alsweiler, Chris McKinlay, Deborah Harris, Robert Jacobs, Yannan Jiang, Benjamin Thompson, Trecia Wouldes, Jane Harding, Greg Gamble, Ryan San Diego