Miss Nikki Chamberlain
BA/LLB(Hons); LLM – Vanderbilt University Law School
Nikki Chamberlain is a Senior Lecturer at the University of Auckland Law School. Before joining the University of Auckland, Nikki lectured Legal Writing at Vanderbilt University Law School in the United States. She received her LL.M. degree from Vanderbilt University. She made the Dean’s List for Academic Excellence in both the Fall and Spring Semesters. She was also awarded the Scholastic Excellence Award for Introduction to Legal Research, Writing and Analysis in the United States. She received her B.A./LL.B. (Hons) degree from the University of Auckland. She received a Senior Prize in her B.A. degree.
Prior to lecturing, Nikki practiced eight years as a Commercial Litigator at a large commercial law firm in Auckland, Minter Ellison Rudd Watts. She was a Senior Associate and practiced in a number of commercial law areas including contract law, tort law, company law, family law, insolvency law, trust litigation and estate litigation. Her clients included Bank of New Zealand, Goldman Sachs, GE Money, Bank of Scotland, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Westpac New Zealand Limited, ASB Bank Limited, HSBC, New Zealand Racing Board, New Zealand Crane Group, Dun & Bradstreet (NZ) Limited and Mona Dotcom. She represented a number of high net-worth individuals in their relationship property disputes. She appeared as counsel in the New Zealand Court of Appeal, the High Court, the District Court and the Family Court. She has expertise in a number of areas, including Torts, the Law of Family Property and Complex Litigation including Class Actions and Litigation Funding.
Research | Current
- Class Actions in New Zealand: An Empirical Study, 2018, NZBLQ, Special Edition (accepted for publication).
- The Future of Economic Disparity Redress in New Zealand, 2018, NZULR (accepted for publication).
- Contracting-Out of Class Action Litigation: Lessons from the United States, 2018 N.Z.L. Rev. (accepted for publication).
Teaching | Current
- LAW 231: Torts
- LAWGENRL 429: Law of Family Property
- LAWPUBL 453: Privacy Law
- Vanderbilt University Law School: LLM Dean’s List – Fall and Spring Semester; Scholastic Excellence Award Introduction to Legal Research, Writing and Analysis in the United States; LLM Merit Scholarship; Vanderbilt Bar Association, LLM Representative.
- University of Auckland Law School: Honors in LLB; Employment Law Moot Court, Winner; Senior Prize in B.A.
Associate Dean (Equity), Faculty of Law
Areas of expertise
- Law of Family Property
- Civil Procedure (New Zealand and American)
Committees/Professional groups/Services- Admitted to the New Zealand Bar (non-practicing) - Invited Member of the Law Commission's Expert Advisory Panel for the Review of Class Actions and Litigation Funding in New Zealand
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Chamberlain, N. (2018). The Future of Economic Disparity Redress in New Zealand. New Zealand Universities Law Review, 28 (2), 293-315.
- Chamberlain, N. (2018). Class Actions in New Zealand: An Empirical Study. New Zealand Business Law Quarterly, 24 (2), 132-165.
- Chamberlain, N. (2018). Contracting-Out of Class Action Litigation: Lessons from the United States. New Zealand Law Review, 2018 (3), 371-427. Related URL.
Primary office location
1-11 SHORT STREET - Bldg 810
Level 5, Room 515
1-11 SHORT ST