Professor Nicola Dalbeth
MBChB MD FRACP
Nicola Dalbeth is an academic rheumatologist who leads a clinical and laboratory programme of research in gout, an inflammatory arthritis of major significance to Aotearoa/New Zealand. Her work focuses on understanding the impact and mechanisms of disease in gout.
She has served as a member of the Core Leadership Team on the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) Gout Management Guidelines, and as a steering committee member for the Outcome Measures in Rheumatology (OMERACT) gout group and the ACR/European League Against Rheumatism gout classification project.
Research | Current
Clinical research includes clinical trials, imaging studies (using plain radiographs, MRI and three-dimensional CT modeling) to analyze joint damage, studies to investigate the functional impact of gout, and validation of outcome measures in gout. The laboratory work in the Auckland Bone and Joint Research Laboratory involves investigating the cellular and molecular mechanisms of inflammation and joint damage in gout.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Naot, D., Watson, M., Choi, A. J., Musson, D. S., Callon, K. E., Zhu, M., ... Munro, J. T. (2020). The effect of age on the microarchitecture and profile of gene expression in femoral head and neck bone from patients with osteoarthritis. Bone reports, 1310.1016/j.bonr.2020.100287
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ian Reid, Dorit Naot, Maureen Watson, David Musson, Rocco Pitto, Jillian Cornish, Anne Horne, Greg Gamble, Jacob Munro
- Stewart, S., Guillen, A. G., Taylor, W. J., Gaffo, A., Slark, J., Gott, M., & Dalbeth, N. (2020). The experience of a gout flare: a meta-synthesis of qualitative studies. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, 50 (4), 805-811. 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2020.06.001
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Julia Slark, Merryn Gott
- Cai, K., Fuller, A., Hensey, O., Grossberg, D., Christensen, R., Shea, B., ... Dalbeth, N. (2020). Outcome domains reported in calcium pyrophosphate deposition studies: A scoping review by the OMERACT CPPD working group. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, 50 (4), 719-727. 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2020.05.015
- Tai, V., Narang, R. K., Gamble, G., Cadzow, M., Stamp, L. K., Merriman, T. R., & Dalbeth, N. (2020). Do Serum Urate-Associated Genetic Variants Differentially Contribute to Gout Risk According to Body Mass Index? Analysis of the UK Biobank.. Arthritis & rheumatology (Hoboken, N.J.). 10.1002/art.41219
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Greg Gamble
- Stewart, S., Gamble, G., Grey, A., & Dalbeth, N. (2020). Article placement order in rheumatology journals: a content analysis. BMJ open, 10 (6)10.1136/bmjopen-2019-034550
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Grey, Greg Gamble
- Robinson, P. C., Dalbeth, N., & Donovan, P. (2020). Colchicine Prophylaxis of Gout Flares When Commencing Allopurinol is Very Cost Effective. Arthritis care & research10.1002/acr.24357
- Hoque, K. M., Dixon, E. E., Lewis, R. M., Allan, J., Gamble, G. D., Phipps-Green, A. J., ... Merriman, T. R. (2020). The ABCG2 Q141K hyperuricemia and gout associated variant illuminates the physiology of human urate excretion. Nature communications, 11 (1)10.1038/s41467-020-16525-w
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Greg Gamble, Anne Horne
- Badve, S. V., Pascoe, E. M., Tiku, A., Boudville, N., Brown, F. G., Cass, A., ... de Zoysa, J. R. (2020). Effects of Allopurinol on the Progression of Chronic Kidney Disease. The New England journal of medicine, 382 (26), 2504-2513. 10.1056/nejmoa1915833