Professor Nicola Dalbeth
MBChB MD FRACP
Nicola Dalbeth is an academic rheumatologist who leads a clinical and laboratory programme of research in gout, an inflammatory arthritis of major significance to Aotearoa/New Zealand. Her work focuses on understanding the impact and mechanisms of disease in gout.
She has served as a member of the Core Leadership Team on the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) Gout Management Guidelines, and as a steering committee member for the Outcome Measures in Rheumatology (OMERACT) gout group and the ACR/European League Against Rheumatism gout classification project.
Research | Current
Clinical research includes clinical trials, imaging studies (using plain radiographs, MRI and three-dimensional CT modeling) to analyze joint damage, studies to investigate the functional impact of gout, and validation of outcome measures in gout. The laboratory work in the Auckland Bone and Joint Research Laboratory involves investigating the cellular and molecular mechanisms of inflammation and joint damage in gout.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- White, D., Lao, C., Williams, M., Lawrenson, R., & Dalbeth, N. (2019). The costs associated with ankylosing spondylitis/axial spondyloarthritis in Aotearoa/New Zealand. The New Zealand medical journal, 132 (1505), 38-47.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Douglas White
- Choi, H., Neogi, T., Stamp, L., Dalbeth, N., & Terkeltaub, R. (2019). Reply. Arthritis & rheumatology (Hoboken, N.J.), 71 (11), 1967-1968. 10.1002/art.41065
- Perez-Ruiz, F., & Dalbeth, N. (2019). Gout. Rheumatic diseases clinics of North America, 45 (4), 583-591. 10.1016/j.rdc.2019.08.001
- Bursill, D., Taylor, W. J., Terkeltaub, R., Abhishek, A., So, A. K., Vargas-Santos, A. B., ... Reginato, A. (2019). Gout, Hyperuricaemia and Crystal-Associated Disease Network (G-CAN) consensus statement regarding labels and definitions of disease states of gout. Annals of the rheumatic diseases, 78 (11), 1592-1600. 10.1136/annrheumdis-2019-215933
- Dalbeth, N., Billington, K., Doyle, A., Frampton, C., Tan, P., Aati, O., ... Stamp, L. K. (2019). Effects of Allopurinol Dose Escalation on Bone Erosion and Urate Volume in Gout: A Dual-Energy Computed Tomography Imaging Study Within a Randomized, Controlled Trial. Arthritis & rheumatology (Hoboken, N.J.), 71 (10), 1739-1746. 10.1002/art.40929
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Anthony Doyle, Anne Horne
- Dalbeth, N., Choi, H. K., Joosten, L. A. B., Khanna, P. P., Matsuo, H., Perez-Ruiz, F., & Stamp, L. K. (2019). Gout. Nature reviews. Disease primers, 5 (1)10.1038/s41572-019-0115-y
- Metcalfe, L. K., Krishnan, M., Turner, N., Yaghootkar, H., Merry, T. L., Dewes, O., ... Stamp, L. K. (2019). The Māori and Pacific specific CREBRF variant and adult height. International journal of obesity (2005)10.1038/s41366-019-0437-6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rinki Murphy, Troy Merry, Ofa Dewes, Janak de Zoysa
- Moors, J., Leask, M., Dalbeth, N., Stamp, L., Hindmarsh, J. H., & Merriman, T. (2019). Pacific-specific CETP genetic variant associates with increased HDL and low LDL in Polynesian populations. Paper presented at 55th Annual Meeting of the European-Association-for-the-Study-of-Diabetes (EASD), Barcelona, SPAIN. 16 September - 20 September 2019. DIABETOLOGIA. (pp. 2).