Professor Nicola Dalbeth
MBChB MD FRACP FRSNZ
Nicola Dalbeth is an academic rheumatologist who leads a clinical and laboratory programme of research in gout, an inflammatory arthritis of major significance to Aotearoa/New Zealand. Her work focuses on understanding the impact and mechanisms of disease in gout.
She has served as a member of the Core Leadership Team on the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) Gout Management Guidelines, and as a steering committee member for the Outcome Measures in Rheumatology (OMERACT) gout group and the ACR/European League Against Rheumatism gout classification project.
Research | Current
Clinical research includes clinical trials, imaging studies (using plain radiographs, MRI and three-dimensional CT modeling) to analyze joint damage, studies to investigate the functional impact of gout, and validation of outcome measures in gout. The laboratory work in the Auckland Bone and Joint Research Laboratory involves investigating the cellular and molecular mechanisms of inflammation and joint damage in gout.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Naot, D., Watson, M., Choi, A. J., Musson, D. S., Callon, K. E., Zhu, M., ... Munro, J. T. (2020). The effect of age on the microarchitecture and profile of gene expression in femoral head and neck bone from patients with osteoarthritis. Bone reports, 1310.1016/j.bonr.2020.100287
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ian Reid, Dorit Naot, Maureen Watson, David Musson, Karen Callon, Rocco Pitto, Jillian Cornish, Anne Horne, Greg Gamble, Jacob Munro
- Takei, R., Cadzow, M., Markie, D., Bixley, M., Phipps-Green, A., Major, T. J., ... Hu, H. (2020). Trans-ancestral dissection of urate- and gout-associated major loci SLC2A9 and ABCG2 reveals primate-specific regulatory effects (vol 81, pg 251, 2020). JOURNAL OF HUMAN GENETICS10.1038/s10038-020-00833-6
- Zaidi, F., Narang, R. K., Phipps-Green, A., Gamble, G. G., Tausche, A.-K., So, A., ... Doherty, M. (2020). Systematic genetic analysis of early-onset gout: ABCG2 is the only associated locus. Rheumatology (Oxford, England), 59 (9), 2544-2549. 10.1093/rheumatology/kez685
- Gasteiger, C., Jones, A. S. K., Kleinstäuber M, Lobo, M., Horne, R., Dalbeth, N., & Petrie, K. J. (2020). Effects of Message Framing on Patients' Perceptions and Willingness to Change to a Biosimilar in a Hypothetical Drug Switch. Arthritis care & research, 72 (9), 1323-1330. 10.1002/acr.24012
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Chiara Gasteiger, Keith Petrie
- Takei, R., Cadzow, M., Markie, D., Bixley, M., Phipps-Green, A., Major, T. J., ... Hu, H. (2020). Trans-ancestral dissection of urate- and gout-associated major loci SLC2A9 and ABCG2 reveals primate-specific regulatory effects. JOURNAL OF HUMAN GENETICS10.1038/s10038-020-0821-z
- Stewart, S., Guillen, A. G., Taylor, W. J., Gaffo, A., Slark, J., Gott, M., & Dalbeth, N. (2020). The experience of a gout flare: a meta-synthesis of qualitative studies. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, 50 (4), 805-811. 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2020.06.001
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Julia Slark, Merryn Gott
- Cai, K., Fuller, A., Hensey, O., Grossberg, D., Christensen, R., Shea, B., ... Dalbeth, N. (2020). Outcome domains reported in calcium pyrophosphate deposition studies: A scoping review by the OMERACT CPPD working group. Seminars in arthritis and rheumatism, 50 (4), 719-727. 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2020.05.015
- FitzGerald, J., Brignardello-Petersen, R., Dalbeth, N., Mikuls, T., Neogi, T., & Guyatt, G. (2020). Author's response to Letter. Arthritis care & research10.1002/acr.24375