Dr Nicholas James Demarais
Nicholas received his PhD in 2014 at the University of Colorado, Boulder, and joined the Ion Innovations Lab in the Department of Physics as a research fellow shortly after.
Research | Current
My current research focuses on understanding the mixing dynamics of dual-channel nano-electrospray, and it's application to observing reaction intermedites in chemistry and biochemistry.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Hunter, M., Demarais, N. J., Faull, R. L. M., Grey, A. C., & Curtis, M. A. (2018). Subventricular zone lipidomic architecture loss in Huntington's disease. Journal of neurochemistry, 146 (5), 613-630. 10.1111/jnc.14468
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Maurice Curtis, Gus Grey, Richard Faull
- Hunter, M., Demarais, N. J., Faull, R. L. M., Grey, A. C., & Curtis, M. A. (2018). Layer-specific lipid signatures in the human subventricular zone demonstrated by imaging mass spectrometry. Scientific reports, 8 (1)10.1038/s41598-018-20793-4
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Richard Faull, Gus Grey, Maurice Curtis
- Willmott, G., Hammerschmidt, L., Grimson, M., Riddings, K., Hendy, S., Wills, P., ... Demarais, N. (2017). "Physics at the Interface" in Auckland. AAPPS Bulletin, 27 (5), 8-14.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Malcolm Grimson, Geoff Willmott, Shaun Hendy, Frederique Vanholsbeeck
- Grey, A., Demarais, N., West, B., & Donaldson, P. (2017). A quantitative map of glutathione in the aging human lens. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry10.1016/j.ijms.2017.10.008
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Gus Grey, Paul Donaldson
- Wang, Z.-C., Cole, C. A., Demarais, N. J., Snow, T. P., & Bierbaum, V. M. (2015). Reactions of azine anions with nitrogen and oxygen atoms: Implications for Titan's upper atmosphere and interstellar chemistry. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 137 (33), 10700-10709. 10.1021/jacs.5b06089
- Demarais, N. J., Wang, Z.-C., Snow, T. P., & Bierbaum, V. M. (2015). Gas-phase reactions of CF(+) with molecules of interstellar relevance. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 119 (19), 4329-4335. 10.1021/jp507290q
- Demarais, N. J., Yang, Z., Snow, T. P., & Bierbaum, V. M. (2014). Gas-phase reactions of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon cations and their nitrogen-containing analogs with H atoms. The Astrophysical Journal, 784 (1)10.1088/0004-637X/784/1/25
- Cole, C. A., Demarais, N. J., Yang, Z., Snow, T. P., & Bierbaum, V. M. (2013). Heterocyclic anions of astrobiological interest. The Astrophysical Journal, 779 (2)10.1088/0004-637X/779/2/181