Dr NAK Nandasena
BSc (Eng.), M.Eng., PhD
I completed my Masters and Ph.D. in Hydraulic and Coastal Engineering at Saitama University, Japan. Before Joining the University of Auckland, I worked as a postdoctoral research fellow for two years with funding from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science.
Research | Current
I hope to supervise students who wish to complete their Masters or PhD degrees in tsunami-related research.
Teaching | Current
Coastal Engineering 1 CIVIL 733
Fluid Mechanics I CIVIL 230
Rowen De Costa (MEng completed in 2016)
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Overseas Researchers (2012-2014)
Monbukagakusyo Honors Scholarship (MEXT) by Japanese Government (2009-2012)
ADB-JSP Scholarship by Asian Development Bank (2006-2008)
Mahapola Merit Scholarship by Sri Lankan Government (2001-2004)
Outstanding research paper and presentation awards in the field of Hydraulic, Coastal and Environmental Engineering at 8th and 9th International Summer Symposiums by Japanese Society of Civil Engineers (JSCE), Japan (2006 and 2007).
Areas of expertise
tsunami-related research: bio-shield concept to protect from tsunami, boulder transport by tsunami (paleo tsunami construction, tsunamiite), impact force by tsunami-driven debris.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Nandasena, N. A. (2017). Revisiting dimensionless coefficients of boulder transport equations: a small-scale experimental investigation on coefficient of lift. Paper presented at 5th International Tsunami Field Symposium, Lisbon, Portugal. 3 September - 7 September 2017. Abstract volume: 5th International Tsunami Field Symposium. Related URL.
- Chen, C., Melville, B. W., Nandasena, N. A. K., Shamseldin, A. Y., & Wotherspoon, L. (2017). Mitigation effect of vertical walls on wharf model subjected to tsunami bores. Journal of Earthquake and Tsunami, 11 (3)10.1142/S179343111750004X
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bruce Melville, Asaad Shamseldin, Liam Wotherspoon
- Rovere, A., Harris, D., Casella, E., Lorscheid, T., Stocchi, P., Nandasena, N. A., ... Raymo, M. E. (2017). Superstorms at the end of the Last Interglacial (MIS 5e)? Modeling paleo waves and the transport of giant boulders. Paper presented at European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2017, Vienna, Austria. 23 April - 28 April 2017. Related URL.
- Chen, C., Melville, B. W., Nandasena, N. A. K., & Farvizi, F. (2017). An experimental investigation of tsunami bore impacts on a coastal bridge model with different contraction ratios. Journal of Coastal Research10.2112/JCOASTRES-D-16-00128.1
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bruce Melville
- Thuy, N. B., Nandasena, N. A. K., Dang, V. H., Kim, S., Hien, N. X., Hole, L. R., & Thai, T. H. (2017). Effect of river vegetation with timber piling on ship wave attenuation: Investigation by field survey and numerical modeling. Ocean Engineering, 129, 37-45. 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2016.11.004
- Rovere, A., Raymo, M. E., O'Leary M, Stocchi, P., Vacchi, M., Lorscheld, T., ... Sandstorm, R. M. (2016). MIS 5e sea levels and ‘superstorms’: what the integration of field data and modelling can tell us?. Paper presented at AUG Fall Meeting, San Francisco, USA. 12 December - 16 December 2016. Related URL.
- Chen, C., Melville, B., Nandasena, N., Shamseldin, A., & Wotherspoon, L. (2016). Experimental study of uplift loads due to tsunami bore impact on a wharf model. Coastal Engineering, 117, 126-137. 10.1016/j.coastaleng.2016.08.001
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Liam Wotherspoon, Asaad Shamseldin, Bruce Melville
- Nandasena, N. A. K. (2015). Inverse modeling of high-energy events: Cliff-edge boulder/block transport by tsunamis. Paper presented at Australasian Coasts & Ports, Auckland, Nw Zealand. 15 September - 18 September 2015. Proceedings of Australasian Coasts & Ports. Related URL.