Dr Peng Cao
BE(Hon), ME, PhD
- Associate Professor, University of Auckland
- Senior lecturer, University of Auckland
- Senior research fellow, The University of Waikato
- FRST postdoctoral rellow, The University of Waikato
- Research engineer, National University of Singapore
- Lecturer, Central South University China
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hon), Xi’An Jiao Tong University
- Master of Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Doctor of Philosophy, The University of Queensland
- PGCert. Academic Practice
Research | Current
- Light alloys
- Powder metallurgy
- Metallic biomaterials
- Electrode materials (including battery-related)
Research Projects Opening (PhD or ME):
NEW: Self-healing silicon anode for lithium ion batteries application.
3-year PhD project funded by National Science Challenge. PhD stipend + tuition fees are covered.
(1) Development of easy-to-decompose binders for metal injection moulding Titanium feedstocks
(2) Simulation of titanium metal injection moulding
(3) Highly conductive metal oxides electrodes
(4) Racking materials for titanium powder sintering
(5) Biodegradable metals
(6) Synthesis of calcium phosphates via hydrolysis
Journal articles: 101
Conference articles: 27
Edited Books: 2
2016 - 2019, National Science Challenge Seeding. Self-healing silicon anode for lithium ion batteries application. $255,000.
2016, ANSTO, Kinetic study of hydrogen release from TiH2 using neutron imaging. AUD 49,700.
2015, FRDF, All-solid-state batteries with highly conductive electrolyte, $156,404.
2014, MBIE subcontracting. Titanium injection moulding, $420,000
2014, ANSTO, Clarification of two puzzles in the current Ti-Ni binary phase diagram, AUD31,400.
2014, ANSTO, In situ neutron diffraction study of phase transition in Fe-Mn-Si, AUD 40,900
2014, VUW NZ Indian Research Institute, PEDOT/nitrogen doped graphene composites
2013, SIMTech, Binder development of titanium injection moulding.
2012, MBIE subcontracting, Titanium powder metallurgy, $600,000
2012, ANSTO, In situ phase development of Ni and Ti/TiH2, AUD$31,400.
2010, MBIE subcontracting, Porous titanium, $178,000.
2010, FRDF, Development of metal injection moulding, $150,000.
2008, FRST/MSI, Surface nanostructuring of titanium, $258,000
2008, WaikatoLInk, Biodegradable magnesium , $26,000.
2007, RSNZ, International Sci Tech Linkage, $10,000
Teaching | Current
- CHEMMAT 221 - Materials
- CHEMMAT 232 - Process Design 1
- CHEMMAT 322 - Materials Processing and Performance
- CHEMMAT 754 - Materials Engineering
- PHYSICS 130 - Properties of Matter (discontinued)
Mr Gang Chen (2010- 2014) -- completed
Ms Hailian Bi (2010 - 2014) - completed
Mr Saifang Huang (2011-2015) - completed
Mr Muhammad Hayat (2012 - 2016) - completed 2016.
Ms Sharidah Abdul Azis (2012 - 2016) Termination 2015
Ms Chen Huang (2012 - 2015) - completed 2016
Ms Zhendi Yang (2011 - 2014) - completed 2015
Ms Jill Zhang (2011 - 2014) - completed 2015
Mr Zhen He (2014- 2018)
Mr Harshpreet Singh (2015-2019)
Mr Hongzhou Zhang (2016-2020)
Mr Burbery, Nathaniel (2013-2017)
Changzhou Yu - completed 2014
Francis Goh - completed 2015
Xin Ouyang - completed 2015
Zhigang Xu (2013 - 2016). completed 2016
Bo Hu (2015-2019)
Tang, Da (2016-2020)
Mr Khashayar Khanlari (2015-2019), enrolled at AUT
Mr Tianhang Zhang (2015-2019), enrolled at CUGB
Nurul Husna Othman (2014) - completed 2015
Nur Syazwani Ilya Sulaiman (2014) - completed 2015
Aparajita Goswami (2015) - completed 2016
Ying Li (co-supervision) completed 2015.
Walter Jayanth ME(Study), completed 2015.
Pratik Jadhav, ME, completed 2017.
- AJ Park Commercialisation Collaboration Award, KiwiNet Research Commercialisation Awards 2014
- University of Auckland Early Career Research Excellence Award 2012
- Henry Marion Howe Medal, American Society for Metals (ASM), 2006.
Deputy Head Academic (2014 - )
Faculty Academic Programme Committee
MDLS Steering Group
Newmarket Directors Group
Department Student Staff Consultative Committee (Chair)
Course and Career Committee
Course Advisor (U/G)
Faculty Practical Work Committee
Faculty Accreditation Committee
Areas of expertise
- Powder metallurgy
- Metal injection moulding
- Titanium alloys development
- Glass ceramics
- Metallic biomaterials
- Professional member, Institute of Professional Engineers New Zealand (IPENZ)
- Member, Royal Society of New Zealand (RSNZ)
- Member, Materials Research Society
- Science Assessor for MBIE (2012, 2014, 2016).
- Science assessor for Foundation for Polish Science
- Reviewers for international journals
- Editorial Board: Advanced Materials Research
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Deng, S., Li, R., Yuan, T., Xie, S., Zhang, M., Zhou, K., & Cao, P. (2018). Direct current-enhanced densification kinetics during spark plasma sintering of tungsten powder. Scripta Materialia, 143, 25-29. 10.1016/j.scriptamat.2017.09.009
- Hayat, M. D., Goswami, A., Matthews, S., Li, T., Yuan, X., & Cao, P. (2017). Modification of PEG/PMMA binder by PVP for titanium metal injection moulding. Powder Technology, 315, 243-249. 10.1016/j.powtec.2017.04.004
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Muhammad Hayat, Xiaowen Yuan, Steve Matthews
- Huang, S., Huang, Z., Cao, P., Suzuki, F., Price, J. R., Avdeev, M., ... Kaji, H. (2017). "114"-Type Nitrides LnAl(Si4-xAlx)N7Oδ with Unusual [AlN6] Octahedral Coordination. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 56 (14), 3886-3891. 10.1002/anie.201612488
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Tilo Söhnel, Saifang Huang, Wei Gao, Zoran Zujovic
- Chen, G., Liss, K. D., Auchterlonie, G., Tang, H., & Cao, P. (2017). Dehydrogenation and Sintering of TiH<inf>2</inf>: An In Situ Study. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A: Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science, 1-11. 10.1007/s11661-017-4043-8
- Huang, C., & Cao, P. (2016). Tuning Ca:P ratio by NaOH from monocalcium phosphate monohydrate (MCPM). Materials Chemistry and Physics, 181, 159-166. 10.1016/j.matchemphys.2016.06.045
- Hayat, M. D., & Cao, P. (2016). A new lubricant based binder system for feedstock formulation from HDH-Ti powder. Advanced Powder Technology, 27 (1), 255-261. 10.1016/j.apt.2015.12.017
- Hayat, M. D., Li, T., & Cao, P. (2015). Incorporation of PVP into PEG/PMMA based binder system to minimize void nucleation. Materials and Design, 87, 932-938. 10.1016/j.matdes.2015.08.131
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Muhammad Hayat
- Chen, G., Liss, K.-D., & Cao, P. (2015). An In Situ Study of Sintering Behavior and Phase Transformation Kinetics in NiTi Using Neutron Diffraction. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 46 (12), 5887-5899. 10.1007/s11661-015-3156-1