Dr Peter John Carswell
BSc, MCom(hons), PGAppliedPsych, PhD
I am a practicing organisational pyschologist with a focus on implementation science in the health sector.
Before joining the University of Auckland I worked as a consultant in a range of international private sector businesses and government organisations.
My research programme is very collaborative and I work in partnership with clinicians and health sector decision makers. My current research focuses on the implementation of integrated care approaches for long term conditions and mental health. I also have an emerging research programme examining how to develop clinical leadership amongst resident doctors.
I welcome supervision inquires in areas related to management and change in the health sector
Research | Current
Implementation science; developing high performing networks; clinical leadership; network governance
Teaching | Current
HLTHMGT 720 Health Management
HLTHMGH 729 Strategic Health Management
Ella Watson (2017 – current) “Clinical governance in mental health”
Anthony Pashkov (2016 – current) “Integrated care programs for frail older adults: a practice-oriented multidisciplinary study in integrated care, innovative aged care and healthcare management"
Deirdre Maxwell (2011 – current) "Health services governance: aligning clinical and corporate governance perspectives"
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Steele Gray, C., Wodchis, W. P., Baker, G. R., Carswell, P., Kenealy, T., McKillop, A., ... Sheridan, N. (2018). Mapping for Conceptual Clarity: Exploring Implementation of Integrated Community-Based Primary Health Care from a Whole Systems Perspective. International journal of integrated care, 18 (1)10.5334/ijic.3082
Other University of Auckland co-authors: John Parsons, Timothy Kenealy, Ann McKillop
- Evans, J. M., Grudniewicz, A., Gray, C. S., Wodchis, W. P., Carswell, P., & Baker, G. R. (2017). Organizational context matters: A research toolkit for conducting standardized case studies of integrated care initiatives. International Journal of Integrated Care, 17 (2).10.5334/ijic.2502
- McKillop, A., Shaw, J., Sheridan, N., Gray, C. S., Carswell, P., Wodchis, W. P., ... Kenealy, T. (2017). Understanding the attributes of implementation frameworks to guide the implementation of a model of community-based integrated health care for older adults with complex chronic conditions: A metanarrative review. International Journal of Integrated Care, 17 (2)10.5334/ijic.2516
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Martin Connolly, Timothy Kenealy, Ann McKillop
- Shaw, J., McKillop, A., Sheridan, N., Steele Gray, C., Carswell, P., Wodchis, W. P., ... Connolly, M. (2017). Advancing implementation science for quality and safety in primary health care: The integrated care for older adults with complex health needs study (iCOACH). Paper presented at International Improvement Science and Research Symposium: 2017 International Forum on Quality and Safety in Healthcare, London, UK. 26 April - 28 April 2017. BMJ Quality and Safety. 10.1136/bmjqs-2017-006696.3
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ann McKillop, Martin Connolly, Timothy Kenealy
- Carswell, P. (2015). Te Whiringa Ora: Person-centred and integrated care in the Eastern Bay of Plenty, New Zealand. International Journal of Integrated Care, 15 (6)10.5334/ijic.2242
- Long, J. C., Cunningham, F. C., Carswell, P., & Braithwaite, J. (2014). Patterns of collaboration in complex networks: The example of a translational research network. BMC Health Services Research, 14 (1).10.1186/1472-6963-14-225
- Carswell, P. J., Manning, B., Long, J., & Braithwaite, J. (2014). Building clinical networks: A development evaluation framework. BMJ Quality and Safety, 23 (5), 422-427. 10.1136/bmjqs-2013-002405
- Long, J. C., Cunningham, F. C., Carswell, P., & Braithwaite, J. (2013). Who are the key players in a new translational research network?. BMC Health Services Research, 13 (1).10.1186/1472-6963-13-338