Dr Peter Jaein Choi
BSc(hons) PhD in Chemistry, University of Auckland
Peter Choi obtained his BSc (hons. 1st class) in Medicinal Chemistry and PhD in Synthetic Organic Chemistry at the University of Auckland with Dist. Prof. Margaret Brimble. After completion of his PhD, Peter was appointed as a research fellow working with Dist. Prof. Bill Denny and Assoc. Prof. Brian Palmer at the Auckland Cancer Society Research Centre to design and synthesise novel drugs for the treatment of tuberculosis.
Research | Current
Working as a medicinal chemist in a collaborative project with the Global Alliance for Tuberculosis Drug Development (TB Alliance) in New York, which seeks to develop novel and affordable drugs for the treatment of tuberculosis.
Areas of expertise
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Choi, P., Noguchi, K., Ishiyama, M., Denny, W. A., & Jose, J. (2018). A mitochondria-selective near-infrared-emitting fluorescent dye for cellular imaging studies. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters, 28 (11), 2013-2017. 10.1016/j.bmcl.2018.05.001
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jiney Jose, Bill Denny
- Sutherland, H. S., Tong, A. S. T., Choi, P. J., Conole, D., Blaser, A., Franzblau, S. G., ... Denny, W. A. (2018). Structure-activity relationships for analogs of the tuberculosis drug bedaquiline with the naphthalene unit replaced by bicyclic heterocycles. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry, 26 (8), 1797-1809. 10.1016/j.bmc.2018.02.026
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Adrian Blaser, Bill Denny, Brian Palmer, Hamish Sutherland
- Choi, P. J., Sutherland, H. S., Tong, A. S., Blaser, A., Franzblau, S. G., Cooper, C. B., ... Motte, M. (2017). Synthesis and evaluation of analogues of the tuberculosis drug bedaquiline containing heterocyclic B-ring units. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 27 (23), 5190-5196. 10.1016/j.bmcl.2017.10.042
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Hamish Sutherland, Adrian Blaser, Bill Denny, Brian Palmer
- Tong, A. S., Choi, P. J., Blaser, A., Sutherland, H. S., Tsang, S. K., Guillemont, J., ... Van den Broeck, W. (2017). 6-cyano analogues of bedaquiline as less lipophilic and potentially safer diarylquinolines for tuberculosis. ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 8 (10), 1019-1024. 10.1021/acsmedchemlett.7b00196
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Adrian Blaser, Hamish Sutherland, Bill Denny, Brian Palmer
- Choi, P. J., Tong, S. T., Denny, W. A., Palmer, B. D., Blaser, A., Conole, D., ... Upton, A. M. (7/9/2017). Synthetic studies towards the development of less lipophilic drug of bedaquiline. Poster presented at Queenstown Research Week, Rydges Hotel, Queenstown, New Zealand. National Symposium on Infectious Diseases: key opportunities and emerging therapies.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bill Denny, Brian Palmer, Adrian Blaser, Hamish Sutherland
- Choi, P. J. (2011). Synthetic Studies Towards Aromatic Polyketide Derived Natural Products The University of Auckland. ResearchSpace@Auckland.
- Choi, P. J., Sperry, J., & Brimble, M. A. (2010). Heteroatom-directed reverse Wacker oxidations. Synthesis of the reported structure of (-)-herbaric acid. J Org Chem, 75 (21), 7388-7392. 10.1021/jo1016585
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Margaret Brimble, Jonathan Sperry
- Choi, P. J., Rathwell, D. C. K., & Brimble, M. A. (2009). Synthesis of 6,6-Bisbenzannulated Spiroketals Related to the Rubromycins Using a Double Intramolecular Hetero-Michael Addition (DIHMA). Tetrahedron Letters, 50 (26), 3245-3248. 10.1016/j.tetlet.2009.02.030
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Margaret Brimble