Professor Paul Leslie Hofman
MbChB, Dip Obs, FRACP
I am primarily a paediatric endocrinologist who divides time between clinical work at the Starship Children Hospital and research at the Liggins Institute. I have a focus on clinical research, especially in the areas of child and adolescent diabetes, new born screening, obesity and developmental origins of adult disease. I am actively involved in postgraduate teaching and am a supervisor for MSc, PhD and MD stduents.
I have senior roles in the two largest regional societies (immediate past-president of the Australasian Paediatric Endocrine Group and president elect of the Asia Pacific Paediatric Endocrine Society). I assist numerous support groups including the Diabetes Youth, Turner Syndrome society, the Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia society and the Prader Willi Syndrome Society, whereI am past president. I am also part of a small group of regional endocrinologists involved in improving endocrine training in the Asia Pacific Region and regularly involved in endocrine training workshops in Asia.
Research | Current
Key Research interests
Much of Paul's research involves issues related to the perinatal environment and its effect on adult health. These include:
- Metabolic and growth effects of prematurity.
- Metabolic and growth effects of being small for gestational age.
- Metabolic and growth effects of being born by assisted reproductive techniques.
- Metabolic consequences of pubertal timing.
- Exercise in pregnancy and maternal and infant outcomes.
- Diabetes – especially the effects on cardiovascular function.
Teaching | Current
Actively involved in teaching 3rd, 5th and 6th year medical students.
Also been both a 5th year supervisor and 6th year paediatric supervisor.
Gives regular tutorials to postgraduate trainees in paediatrics and assist them in oral exam preparation.
- President Asia Pacific Paediatric Endocrine Society
- Director of the Paykel Clinical Research Centre
- Member national newborn advisory panel
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Seneviratne, S. N., Jiang, Y., Derraik, J., McCowan, L., Parry, G. K., Biggs, J. B., ... Rodrigues, R. O. (2016). Effects of antenatal exercise in overweight and obese pregnant women on maternal and perinatal outcomes: a randomised controlled trial. BJOG : an international journal of obstetrics and gynaecology, 123 (4), 588-597.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Silmara Gusso, Yannan Jiang, Wayne Cutfield, Lesley McCowan, José Derraik, Janene Biggs
- Gusso, S., Munns, C. F., Colle, P., Derraik, J. G., Biggs, J. B., Cutfield, W. S., & Hofman, P. L. (2016). Effects of whole-body vibration training on physical function, bone and muscle mass in adolescents and young adults with cerebral palsy. Scientific reports, 6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Silmara Gusso, Wayne Cutfield, José Derraik, Janene Biggs
- Derraik, J. G., Mathai, S., Chiavaroli, V., Dalziel, S. R., Harding, J. E., Biggs, J., ... Hofman, P. L. (2015). Preterm birth is associated with an intergenerational effect on cardio-metabolic risk. Clinical endocrinology, 83 (3), 439-440.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Wayne Cutfield, Jane Harding, José Derraik, Valentina Chiavaroli
- Albert, B. B., Jaksic, M., Ramirez, J., Bors, J., Carter, P., Cutfield, W. S., & Hofman, P. L. (2015). An unusual cause of growth failure in cystic fibrosis: A salutary reminder of the interaction between glucocorticoids and cytochrome P450 inhibiting medication. Journal of cystic fibrosis : official journal of the European Cystic Fibrosis Society, 14 (4), e9-11.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Wayne Cutfield, Ben Albert
- Seneviratne, S. N., McCowan, L. M. E., Cutfield, W. S., Derraik, J. G. B., & Hofman, P. L. (2015). Exercise in pregnancies complicated by obesity: achieving benefits and overcoming barriers. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 212 (4), 442-449. 10.1016/j.ajog.2014.06.009
Other University of Auckland co-authors: José Derraik, Wayne Cutfield
- Heather, N. L., Seneviratne, S. N., Webster, D., Derraik, J. G., Jefferies, C., Carll, J., ... Hofman, P. L. (2015). Newborn screening for congenital adrenal hyperplasia in New Zealand, 1994-2013. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism, 100 (3), 1002-1008.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: José Derraik, Yannan Jiang, Wayne Cutfield
- Mathai, S., Derraik, J. G., Cutfield, W. S., Dalziel, S. R., Harding, J. E., Biggs, J. B., ... Hofman, P. L. (2015). Blood pressure abnormalities in adults born moderately preterm and their children. International journal of cardiology, 181, 152-154.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: José Derraik, Wayne Cutfield, Jane Harding, Janene Biggs
- Derraik, J. G., Rowe, D. L., Cutfield, W. S., & Hofman, P. L. (2015). Decreasing birth weight is associated with adverse metabolic profile and lower stature in childhood and adolescence. PloS one, 10 (3)
Other University of Auckland co-authors: José Derraik, Deborah Rowe, Wayne Cutfield