Professor Paul Rouse
PhD, MCom Accounting (1st Class Hons), BCom Accounting, CA
Research | Current
Paul Rouse's research area is performance and productivity measurement with specialist applications to transport, education and health. Current research includes simulation and artificial data sets, complexity, cost and performance in hospitals and revenue and cost management systems.
Teaching | Current
- 2014 ACCTG 323 Performance Measurement and Evaluation
- 2014 ACCTG 721 Research in Revenue and Cost Management
- 2010 Faculty Research Excellence Award for Research Relevance through Impact on Pedagogy, Policy and / or Practice.
- Department of Accounting and Finance Teaching Award.
- 1995 New Zealand Society of Accountants Research PhD Scholarship ($3,000).
- 1992 Transit New Zealand Doctoral Scholarship ($30,000).
- 1974 Fowlds Memorial Prize in Commerce; Chamber of Commerce Scholarship.
Areas of expertise
- Costing systems
- Data envelopment analysis (DEA)
- Health performance and case mix
- Performance measurement systems
- Road maintenance management
- 2014 Co-Editor Pacific Accounting Review
- 2012 Regional Associate Editor for the Asian region: Journal of Centrum Cathedra.
- 2010 Associate Editor Journal of Data Envelopment Analysis.
- 2010 Associate Editor Pacific Accounting Review.
- 2007 Organiser of the inaugural New Zealand Management Accounting Conference "Small Country Big Laboratory", April, 2007 Auckland.
- 2013 Panel member for committee to review the Bachelor of Health Science, School of Population Health.
- 2011 Present Chair Advisory Group to Head of Accounting and Finance Department.
- 2008 Present Chair A&F Teaching & Learning Committee.
- Department of Accounting and Finance Academic Leader on the BBIM.
- Head of Management Accounting area in Department of Accounting and Finance.
- New Zealand Vice Chancellors Committee Representative on NZ Qualifications Authority.
- Member of Chartered Accountants College, New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants and Operations Research Society of New Zealand.
- Council member of Operations Research Society of New Zealand.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Sandiford, P., Vivas Consuelo, D., Rouse, P., & Bramley, D. (2018). The trade-off between equity and efficiency in population health gain: Making it real. Social science & medicine (1982), 212, 136-144. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2018.07.005
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Peter Sandiford
- McKenna, B., Skipworth, J., Tapsell, R., Pillai, K., Madell, D., Simpson, A., ... Rouse, P. (2018). Impact of an assertive community treatment model of care on the treatment of prisoners with a serious mental illness. Australasian psychiatry : bulletin of Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists, 26 (3), 285-289. 10.1177/1039856217748247
- Parsons, M., Rouse, P., Sajtos, L., Harrison, J., Parsons, J., & Gestro, L. (2018). Developing and utilising a new funding model for home-care services in New Zealand. Health & social care in the community, 26 (3), 345-355. 10.1111/hsc.12525
Other University of Auckland co-authors: John Parsons, Matthew Parsons, Laszlo Sajtos, Julie Harrison
- Roshdi, I., Hasannasab, M., Margaritis, D., & Rouse, P. (2018). Generalised weak disposability and efficiency measurement in environmental technologies. European Journal of Operational Research, 266 (3), 1000-1012. 10.1016/j.ejor.2017.10.033
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Dimitris Margaritis, Maryam Hasannasab
- Opara, M., & Rouse, P. (2018). The perceived efficacy of public-private partnerships: A study from Canada. Critical Perspectives on Accounting10.1016/j.cpa.2018.04.004
- Jacobs, S. P., Parsons, M., Rouse, P., Parsons, J., & Gunderson-Reid, M. (2018). Using benchmarking to assist the improvement of service quality in home support services for older people-IN TOUCH (Integrated Networks Towards Optimising Understanding of Community Health). Evaluation and Program Planning, 67, 113-121. 10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2017.12.008
Other University of Auckland co-authors: John Parsons, Stephen Jacobs, Matthew Parsons
- Parsons, M., Parsons, J., Rouse, P., Pillai, A., Mathieson, S., Parsons, R., ... Kenealy, T. (2018). Supported Discharge Teams for older people in hospital acute care: A randomised controlled trial. Age and Ageing, 47 (2), 288-294. 10.1093/ageing/afx179
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Matthew Parsons, John Parsons, Timothy Kenealy, Avinesh Pillai
- Broadbent, E., Garrett, J., Jepsen, N., Li Ogilvie, V., Ahn, H. S., Robinson, H., ... Pillai, A. (2018). Using Robots at Home to Support Patients With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of medical Internet research, 20 (2)10.2196/jmir.8640
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bruce MacDonald, Elizabeth Broadbent, Ho Seok AHN, Kathy Peri, Ngaire Kerse, Avinesh Pillai