Dr Peter John Waring Saxton
BSocSci (dist) Waikato, MPhil (dist) Massey, PhD Otago.
My research interests include:
- HIV prevention
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Sexual behaviour
- Sexual orientation and health disparities
I am the inaugural New Zealand AIDS Foundation Fellow and Director of the Gay Men's Sexual Health (GMSH) research group.
My interest lies in preventing rather than treating disease. I have expertise in community-based research, health promotion and policy reform, having worked with peer-led NGOs for over 15 years. My work is characterised by a multidisciplinary perspective, action-focused leadership, and collaborative practice between the university, NGOs and affected communities.
Research | Current
- HIV Behavioural Surveillance programme
- HIV Prevalence
- HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) Demonstration Project
- Gonorrhoea Vaccine
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine
- New Zealand Health Survey: Sexual and Reproductive Health Module
Teaching | Current
HLTHMGT 755: Project in health leadership (45 points)
Adrian Ludlam, doctoral candidate, "HPV prevalence and vaccine awareness, acceptability and uptake in high risk men"
Samuel Andrews, Master's candidate, "Chemsex among gay and bisexual men in Aotearoa New Zealand"
Tanushi (Minu) Punchihewa, PGDip candidate, "Motivations for taking HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis in a cohort of early adopting gay and bisexual men"
Australasian Sexual Health Alliance Mid-Career Interdisciplinary Achiever Award 2016
Areas of expertise
Public engagement is an important part of our work:
- TVNZ Breakfast, "PHARMAC to fund preventative HIV drug" /uploaded/public/02-2018/F895ECBEDDCD4A7BA6CEF626B7C23522.mp4
- North & South, "AIDS: The end of an epidemic?" https://www.noted.co.nz/health/health/aids-the-end-of-an-epidemic/
- Radio NZ. "Why is govt not funding vital HIV research?" http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon/audio/201837389/why-is-govt-not-funding-vital-hiv-survey
Our research and advice is directly translated into prevention programmes like "Ending HIV" by the New Zealand AIDS Foundation:
- Ending HIV: https://youtu.be/BnqvUjM6ux0
- Undetectable viral load:https://youtu.be/LiIzTRndNvI
- Beginners's guide to treatment as prevention:https://youtu.be/N8BaUaEoD6A
- Beginner's guide to condoms:https://youtu.be/741KzSkTQDQ
New Zealand Sexual Health Society Executive
National HIV/AIDS Forum ("Consensus Statement on Comprehensive HIV Prevention in Aotearoa/New Zealand")
New Zealand Blood Service Behavioural Donor Criteria Review Group
Body Positive Inc. Advisor
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Saxton, P. J., Giola, M., Coughlan, E. P., Rich, J. G., Azariah, S., Ludlam, A. H., ... Myers, J. M. (2018). Implementing HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP): let's not get caught with our pants down. NEW ZEALAND MEDICAL JOURNAL, 131 (1481), 64-73.
- Saxton, P., Newcombe, D., Ahmed, A., Dickson, N., & Hughes, A. (2018). Illicit drug use among New Zealand gay and bisexual men: Prevalence and association with sexual health behaviours. Drug and Alcohol Review, 37 (2), 180-187. 10.1111/dar.12536
Other University of Auckland co-authors: David Newcombe
- Saxton, P. J. W., Azariah, S., Franklin, R. A., Forster, R. F., Werder, S. F., Jenkins, R., ... Fisher, M. D. (2018). Baseline characteristics of gay and bisexual men in a HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis demonstration project with equity quotas in Auckland, New Zealand. Sexual Health10.1071/SH18056
- Petousis-Harris, H., Paynter, J., Morgan, J., Saxton, P., McArdle, B., Goodyear-Smith, F., & Black, S. (2017). Effectiveness of a group B outer membrane vesicle meningococcal vaccine against gonorrhoea in New Zealand: A retrospective case-control study. The Lancet, 390 (10102), 1603-1610. 10.1016/s0140-6736(17)31449-6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Helen Petousis-Harris, Janine Paynter, Barbara McArdle, Felicity Goodyear-Smith
- Dickson, N., Lee, B., Foster, T., & Saxton, P. (2015). The first 30 years of HIV in New Zealand: Review of the epidemiology. New Zealand Medical Journal, 128 (1426), 31-48.
- Saxton, P. J., Hughes, A. J., & Giola, M. (2015). HIV prevention today: with coordinated action, we can end transmission. New Zealand Medical Journal, 128 (1426), 8-15. Related URL.
- Hughes, A. J., & Saxton, P. J. (2015). Thirty years of condom-based HIV prevention by gay men in New Zealand. New Zealand Medical Journal, 128 (1426), 19-30.
- Dickson, N., Ludlam, A., Saxton, P., & Hughes, A. (2015). Self-reported STIs and sexual health checks in a cross-sectional study of gay and bisexual men in New Zealand. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 91 (1), 49-54. 10.1136/sextrans-2013-051476
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Adrian Ludlam
Extension number: 81434
Primary office location
TAMAKI BUILDING 730 - Bldg 730
Level 3, Room 390
TAMAKI CAMPUS GATE 1 261 MORRIN RD