Mr Paul Cargill Sumpter
BA, LLB, MA(Hons), LLM (Lond)
Paul Sumpter’s primary area of research and teaching is Intellectual Property, which was his principal field of practice over many years in Auckland (as a partner in Kensington Swan) and also in Sydney. He is the author of Intellectual Property Principles in Practice (CCH NZ, 2nd edition, 2013), Trade Marks in Practice (LexisNexis, 2nd edition, 2011) and a co-author of Copyright and Design (LexisNexis). He is member of the Copyright Tribunal of New Zealand (since 2004) and is a consultant to the national law firm Chapman Tripp.
Research | Current
Biotechnology and patents
Commercial licensing of IP
Teaching | Current
- LAWCOMM 404 Intellectual Property
- SCIENT 704 Bioscience
- LAWCOMM 713 Selected aspects of Intellectual Property Law
Areas of expertise
Intellectual property law including copyright, trade marks, patents, designs and confidential information.
New Zealand Copyright Council
Member Trans Tasman Committee of Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
Member NZ Law Society Intellectual Property committee
Member NZ Institute of Patent Attorneys
Consultant to Chapman Tripp
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Sumpter, P. C. (2015). Trade Marks in Practice (3rd). Wellington, NZ: LexisNexis. Related URL.
- Sumpter, P. C. (2013). Intellectual Property Law: Principles in Practice (2nd). Auckland: CCH New Zealand.
- Sumpter, P. C. (2011). Trade Marks in Practice (2nd). Wellington: LexisNexis NZ Limited.