Professor Paul Thomas Rishworth
Paul Rishworth joined The University of Auckland Faculty of Law in 1987. His research interests are in human rights, public and administrative law, and comparative constitutional law. His work on the New Zealand Bill of Rights has been widely cited by peers, practitioners and judges. He is currently a member of the Legislative Design and Advisory Committee and serves as convenor of the New Zealand Law Society’s Human Rights and Privacy Committee. He was Dean of the Faculty from 2005 to 2010. He was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2014.
He is available for supervision of research in any of the areas mentioned below.
Research | Current
- Human Rights Law
- Public Law
- Freedom of expression and religion
- Discrimination and the law
- Education Law
- South Pacific Constitutional Law
- Legislation and statutory interpretation
Teaching | Current
- LAWPUBL428 Rights and Freedoms (civil rights law in New Zealand taught through comparative law approach)
- LAWPUBL754 Comparative Human Rights Law (emphasis on common law countries including USA, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and the jurisprudence of the ECHR and ICCPR)
Other courses previously taught
- Public Law
- International Human Rights Law
- Comparative Bill of Rights Law
- Equality and Anti-Discrimination Law
- Education Law
- South Pacific Legal Studies
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Knott, A., Rishworth, P., & Russo, C. J. (2017). Compliance with regulatory demands relating to notification of abuse of students: Perspectives from the USA, Queensland and New Zealand. International Journal of Law & Education, 21, 23-43.
- Geiringer, C., & Rishworth, P. T. (2017). Magna Carta's legacy: Ideas of liberty and due process in the New Zealand Bill of Rights Act. New Zealand Law Review (4), 597-634.
- Rishworth, P. (2016). Writing things unwritten: Common law in New Zealand’s constitution. International Journal of Constitutional Law, 14 (1), 137-155. 10.1093/icon/mow005
- Rishworth, P., & Geiringer, C. (2015). Magna Carta’s Legacy? Ideas of liberty and due process in the New Zealand Bill of Rights. Paper presented at Rights, Liberty and Equality: Runnymede to the Beehive, Auckland, New Zealand. 25 September - 25 September 2015. Related URL.
- Rishworth, P. T. (2015). Brief for the Defendant in Seales v Attorney-General  NZHC 1239.
- Rishworth, P. T. (2015). Human rights. New Zealand Law Review (2), 259-284.
- Rishworth, P. (2014). The Bill of Rights. Paper presented at The New Zealand Supreme Court – the first ten years, Auckland, New Zealand. 14 November - 14 November 2014. Related URL.
- Rishworth, P. T. (2014). Equality and Anti-Discrimination Law. Paper presented at Using Human Rights Law in Litigation, Auckland, New Zealand. 30 June - 30 June 2014. Related URL.