Associate Professor Qi Chen
Bachelor in Medicine, PhD in medicine
Associate Professor Qi Chen, a placental biologist with over 140 publications, has a special interest in the role of placental extracellular vesicles in normal and pathological pregnancies including preeclampsia, as well as the function of placental extracellular vesicles on gynecological cancer. With the completion of medical training including a Ph.D., Associate Professor Qi Chen also has strong interests in clinical research in the field of obstetrics and gynecology, with over 40 publications. Associate Professor Chen also acts as editor for a number of international peer-review journals.
Research | Current
My research interests:
(1) placental development and the role of placental extracellular vesicles in normal and pathological pregnancies.
(2) the function of placental extracellular vesicles on physiological and pathological conditions.
(3) the function of placental extracellular vesicles on prevention of the development of gynaecological cancers.
- Jing Gao, Yunhui Tang, Xinyi Sun, Yiqian Peng, Catherine Tsai, Qi Chen (2021). Placental extracellular vesicles exhibit inhibition effect on the growth Group B Streptococcus. Biology 10 (7), 664.
- Yunhui Tang, Katie Groom, Larry Chamley, Qi Chen (2021). Melatonin, a potential therapeutic agent for preeclampsia reduces extrusion of toxic extracellular vesicles from preeclamptic placentae. Cells, 10: 1904.
- Yunhui Tang, Liping Sun, Jing Gao, Fang Guo, Qi Chen (2021). Senescence may be involved in the pathogenesis of early pregnancy loss. Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology, Jun 17: 9: 656549.
- Yang Liu, Xingyu Chen, Jiayi Sheng, Xinyi Sun, George Qiaoqi Chen, Min Zhao, Qi Chen (2021). Complications of pregnancy and the risk of developing endometrial or ovarian cancer: a case-control study. Frontiers in Endocrinology, April 30; 12: 642928.
- Fanghua Shen, Hongdao LV, Liming Wang, Mancy Tong, Arier Lee, Fang Guo, Qi Chen (2021). A comparison of treatment options for type 1 and type 2 caesarean scar pregnancy: A retrospective case series study. Frontiers in Medicine, Jun 7;12:651273.
- Yunhui Tang, Yi Zhang, Hanqing Tang, Jiahui Che, Hua Feng, Xiaoying Yao, Qi Chen (2021). A comparison of ultrasound guided curettage with and without uterine artery embolization on controlling intraoperative blood loss for a caesarean scar pregnancy treatment: study protocol for a randomized clinical trial. Frontiers in Endocrinology, Jun 7;12:651273.
- Yunhui Tang, Jing Gao, Liping Sun, Yifei Gao, Fang Guo, Q Chen (2021). Promotion of prenatal education courses is important to reduce caesarean section rates in China. Frontiers in Public Health, May 28: 9: 666337.
- Xinyi Sun, Yang Liu, Yunhui Tang, Hongying Yu, Min Zhao, Qi Chen (2021). Subsequent fertility in women treated for caesarean scar pregnancy: A five years follow-up study in a tertiary hospital. Frontiers in Endocrinology, May 10; 12: 659647.
- Xin Dong, Min Han, Zeb, Mancy Tong, Xuelan Li, Qi Chen (2021). Active management reduces the incidence of recurrent preeclampsia and improves maternal and fetal outcomes in women with recurrent preeclampsia. Frontiers in Medicine, April; 8: 658022.
- Esther Woolston, Yunhui Tang, Sonia, A, Ian Kando, Larry Chamley, Peter Stone, Qi Chen (2021). Comparison of the effects on maternal endothelial cell activation: An in vitro study of antihypertensive drugs clinically used in preeclampsia (Journal of Human Hypertension, In press).
- Chunfang Li, Wenli Gou, Jinjun Liu, Dan Liu, Xuelan Li, Qi Chen (2021). Length of stay in the ward following a preeclamptic pregnancy (Journal of Human Hypertension, In press).
- Yunhui Tang, Yang Liu, Hongying Yu, Fanghua Shen, Min Zhao, Qi Chen (2021). Subsequent pregnancy outcomes in women with a history of caesarean scar pregnancy and recurrence: a three years follow-up study in a tertiary hospital. Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 58 (1): 143-144.
- Yunhui Tang, Yan Chen, Yohanes Nursalim, Katie Groom, Anthony Hickey, Lawrence Chamley, and Qi Chen (2020). Endoplasmic reticulum stress occurs in association with the extrusion of toxic extracellular vesicles from human placentae treated with antiphospholipid antibodies. Clinical Science, 134: 459-472.
- Fanghua Shen, Yang Liu, Luling Lin, Min Zhao, Qi Chen (2020). Association of benign gynaecological diseases and risk of endometrial and ovarian cancers. Journal of Cancer. 11:3186-3191.
- Yunhui Tang, Yan Chen, Hua Feng, Chen Zhu, Mancy Tong, Qi Chen (2020). Is body mass index associated with irregular menstruation: A questionnaire study? BMC Women’s Health, 20:226-229.
- Yunhui Tang, Chenqi Zhu, Chen Zhu, Feng Liang, Arier Lee, Xiaoying Yao, Qi Chen (2020). The impact of pre-evacuation ultrasound examination in histologically confirmed hydatidiform mole in missed abortion. BMC Women’s Health, 20:196.
- Xiao Xirong, Yunhui Tang, Y, Chunlin Su, Simon, Qi Chen, Larry Chamley (2020). Upregulation of pannexin-1 hemichannels explains the apparent (fake) death of the syncytiotrophoblast during human placental explant culture. Placenta 94: 1-12.
- Dan Liu, Chunfang Li, Pu Huang, Jing Fu, Xin Dong, Yunhui Tang, Xuelan Li, Qi Chen (2020). Serum levels of uric acid may have a potential role in the management of immediate delivery in severe preeclampsia. Hypertension in pregnancy, 29: 1-7.
- Yunhui Tang, Mingzhi Zhao, Luling Lin, George Chen, Shouzhen Chen, Qi Chen (2020). Is body mass index associated with the incidence of endometriosis and the severity of dysmenorrhea: a case-control study in China? BMJ Open; 10:e037095.
- Fanghua Shen, Hongdao Lv, Yun Shi, Sandy Lau, Fang Guo, Qi Chen (2020). A pilot study on investigating the role of salvia miltiorrhiza in fetal growth restriction. Bioscience Reports, 26: 40 (6).
Areas of expertise
Pregnancy and complications of pregnancies, such as preeclampsia.
Gynaecological cancers and pregnancy.
Editor: Biology (section of reproduction)
Associate Editor: Frontiers in Endocrinology
Associate Editor: Frontiers in Physiology
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Zhao, M., Ding, J. X., Nie, G. Y., Wei, J., Li, Y., Yin, X. Y., & Chen, Q. (2014). HTRA3 is reduced in ovarian cancers regardless of stage. Cancer investigation, 32 (9), 464-469. 10.3109/07357907.2014.958496
- Xiao, J., Shen, F., Xue, Q., Chen, G., Zeng, K., Stone, P., ... Chen, Q. (2014). Is ethnicity a risk factor for developing preeclampsia? An analysis of the prevalence of preeclampsia in China. J Hum Hypertens, 28 (11), 694-698. 10.1038/jhh.2013.148
- Shen, F., Wei, J., Snowise, S., DeSousa, J., Stone, P., Viall, C., ... Chamley, L. (2014). Trophoblast debris extruded from preeclamptic placentae activates endothelial cells: A mechanism by which the placenta communicates with the maternal endothelium. Placenta, 35 (10), 839-847. 10.1016/j.placenta.2014.07.009
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Larry Chamley
- Prossler, J., Chen, Q., Chamley, L., & James, J. L. (2014). The relationship between TGFβ, low oxygen and the outgrowth of extravillous trophoblasts from anchoring villi during the first trimester of pregnancy. Cytokine, 68 (1), 9-15. 10.1016/j.cyto.2014.03.001
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jo James, Larry Chamley
- Li, X. L., Chen, T. T., Dong, X., Gou, W. L., Lau, S., Stone, P., & Chen, Q. (2014). Early onset preeclampsia in subsequent pregnancies correlates with early onset preeclampsia in first pregnancy. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol, 177, 94-99. 10.1016/j.ejogrb.2014.03.043
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Sandy Lau
- Yin, Y., Zeng, K., Wu, M., Ding, Y., Zhao, M., & Chen, Q. (2014). The Levels of Ki-67 Positive are Positively Associated with Lymph Node Metastasis in Invasive Ductal Breast Cancer. Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics10.1007/s12013-014-0034-1
- Li, X. L., Dong, X., Xue, Y., Li, C. F., Gou, W. L., & Chen, Q. (2014). Increased expression levels of E-cadherin, cytokeratin 18 and 19 observed in preeclampsia were not correlated with disease severity. Placenta10.1016/j.placenta.2014.04.010
- Chamley, L. W., Holland, O. J., Chen, Q., Viall, C. A., Stone, P. R., & Abumaree, M. (2014). Review: where is the maternofetal interface?. Placenta, 35 Suppl, S74-S80. 10.1016/j.placenta.2013.10.014
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Larry Chamley