Dr Richard Christie
Richard completed a BE and PhD in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Auckland. His PhD work on 'Numerical modelling of fibre-reinforced thermoplastic sheet forming' involved writing a non-linear finite element package including visualisation software, and was partly carried out during a year at the University of Kaiserslautern in Germany.
In 1997 he joined what is now the Auckland Bioengineering Institute to develop Cmgui, contributing to its development into a powerful interactive visualisation package, and was involved with commercialising facial animation technologies with partner companies in the United States. He then spent several years working in commercial software development in the United Kingdom (finite element modelling software at FEA/LUSAS, and mobile phone operating systems at Symbian) and in New Zealand (CAD/PLM software at Right Hemisphere) before rejoining the ABI.
Richard has led the development of graphics and visualisation software at the ABI since 2007, and has been a key designer and developer of the FieldML model interchange format. During this time the software development team has transformed the core of Cmgui into the OpenCMISS-Zinc software library with a full API for interfacing to models, images, graphics and rendering. He is involved in the wider OpenCMISS project which includes the Iron computation library, in particular implementing model serialisation and interchange across OpenCMISS software using FieldML.
Research | Current
Lead developer of OpenCMISS-Zinc modelling and visualisation library, and the Cmgui visualisation application which is built on it.
Areas of expertise
- 3-D computer graphics and scientific visualisation
- Finite Element Modelling (FEM)
- Model Interchange / Markup Languages
- Software engineering
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Freytag, B., Wang, V. Y., Christie, G. R., Wilson, A. J., Sands, G. B., Legrice, I. J., ... Nash, M. P. (2016). Parameterisation of multi-directional diffusion weighted magnetic resonance images of the heart. Statistical Atlases and Computational Models of the Heart. Imaging and Modelling Challenges. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 9534, 60-68. Munich: Springer Verlag. 10.1007/978-3-319-28712-6_7
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alistair Young, Vicky Wang, Gregory Sands, Martyn Nash, Ian LeGrice, Bianca Freytag
- Hussan, J. R., Hunter, P. J., Gladding, P. A., Greenberg, N., Christie, R., Wu, A., ... Thomas, J. D. (2015). ICMA: An integrated cardiac modeling and analysis platform. Bioinformatics, 31 (8), 1331-1333. 10.1093/bioinformatics/btu809
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jagir Hussan, Peter Hunter, Hugh Sorby
- Freytag, B., Wang, V. Y., Christie, G. R., Wilson, A. J., Sands, G. B., Young, A. A., ... Nash, M. P. (2015). Field-based parameterisation of cardiac muscle structure from diffusion tensors. In H. van Assen, P. Bovendeerd, T. Delhaas (Eds.) FIMH: International Conference on Functional Imaging and Modeling of the Heart, 9126, 146-154. Maastricht, The Netherlands: Springer Verlag. 10.1007/978-3-319-20309-6_17
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Vicky Wang, Bianca Freytag, Gregory Sands, Alistair Young, Ian LeGrice, Martyn Nash
- Britten, R. D., Christie, G. R., Little, C., Miller, A. K., Bradley, C., Wu, A., ... Nielsen, P. (2013). FieldML, a proposed open standard for the Physiome project for mathematical model representation. Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, 51 (11), 1191-1207. 10.1007/s11517-013-1097-7
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Christopher Bradley, Tommy Yu, Poul Nielsen, Peter Hunter
- Hunter, P., Bradley, C., Britten, R., Brooks, D., Carotenuto, L., Christie, R., ... Little, C. (2012). The VPH-Physiome project: Standards, tools and databases for multi-scale physiological modelling. In D. Ambrosi, A. Quarteroni, G. Rozza (Eds.) Modelling of physiological flows (pp. 205-250). Milan, Italy: Springer Milan. 10.1007/978-88-470-1935-5_8
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Tommy Yu, Peter Hunter, Poul Nielsen, Christopher Bradley, David Nickerson, Alistair Young, David Brooks, Alan Garny
- Christie, R., Nielsen, P., Bradley, C., Little, C., Britten, R., & Hunter, P. (2011). Field abstraction in FieldML and Cmgui. Paper presented at Model Sharing for Image Simulation workshop, Paris, France. 25 January - 25 January 2011. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Poul Nielsen, Christopher Bradley, Peter Hunter
- Christie, G. R., Nielsen, P. M. F., Blackett, S. A., Bradley, C. P., & Hunter, P. J. (2009). FieldML: Concepts and implementation. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series A-Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences, 367 (1895), 1869-1884. 10.1098/rsta.2009.0025
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Poul Nielsen, Peter Hunter, Christopher Bradley
- Christie, R., & Nielsen, P. (2008). FieldML: Data structures for modelling. Paper presented at 2nd International CellML Workshop, University of Auckland. 26 March - 26 March 2008. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Poul Nielsen