Dr Raj Das
BE, PhD (Monash)
Dr Raj Das is an Assiciate Professor in the Aerospace and Aviation department of RMIT University, Australia and an honorary academic in the University of Auckland, New Zealand. He is a principal investigator of the ‘Sir Lawrence Wackett Aerospace Research Centre’ of RMIT University. He is an adjunct academic of the University of Quebec, Canada. He is the Deputy Chair of the ‘National Committee on Applied Mechanics’ of Engineers Australia.
Dr Das has published more than 200 papers in international journals and conferences. Dr Das has a PhD from Monash University, Australia in Structural Optimisation and Failure Analysis. Dr Das has previously worked in the University of Auckland, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), and the University of Manchester.
Dr Das has research capabilities in advanced materials, such as metamaterials, auxetic materials, architected materials, composite materials, topology and shape optimisation for materials and structural designs, computational modelling, fracture mechanics, dynamic fracture, damage tolerance based optimisation, numerical modelling and multi-scale analysis using finite element and mesh-less methods, impact behaviour and failure analysis of metals, ceramic and composite materials. Dr Das has been extensively promoting applied mechanics, computational mechanics and fracture mechanics research within the Australasian region. He was the chair of four major scientific conferences recently held Australia and New Zealand. He has served on the scientific committees of more than 80 international conferences. Dr Das is on the editorial board and review panel of several journals and funding agencies.
Dr Das has been granted several national and international awards and fellowships, including the ‘Jim & Hazel D. Lord Emerging Faculty Fellowship’, ‘Research Excellence Award’, and ‘AUEA Emerging Researcher Award’ by the University of Auckland. He has received the ‘CONICYT award’ from the Government of Chile, ‘Certificate of Merit Award’ from the International Association of Engineers, Hong Kong, ‘UQAC Visiting Fellowship’ from the University of Quebec, Canada, and ‘Visiting Researcher Fellowship’ from the University of Cape Town, South Africa.
PhD (Applied Mechanics), Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia (2002-2005)
Dissertation: Structural Optimisation: Damage Tolerance based Formulation and Implementation
Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical), Department of Mechanical Engineering, Jadavpur University, Calcutta, India (1995-1999)
Research | Current
- Composite materials
- Failure analysis
- Computational solid mechanics
- Mesh-free and finite element methods
- Structural optimisation
- Fatigue/fracture mechanics
- Material processing
- Fluid structure interaction
Teaching | Current
- MECHENG 234 Engineering Design 2: Part II, Semester Two.
- MECHENG 222 Dynamics: Part II, Semester One.
- MECHENG 224 System Dynamics Modelling: Part II, Semester One.
- MECHENG 441 Composite Materials: Part IV, Semester Two.
- MECHENG 447 Manufacturing & Industrial Processes: Part IV, Semester One.
- MECHENG 771 Advanced Mechanics of Materials: Postgraduate, Semester One.
- Invited Speaker, 11th International Symposium on Plasticity and Impact Mechanics (IMPLAST 2016), 11-14 December, 2016, Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India
- Keynote Speaker, 3rd International Conference on Applications of Fluid Dynamics (ICAFD-2016), 19-21 December, 2016, IIT Dhanbad, India
- Semi-Plenary Speaker, 7th International Conference on Computational Methods (ICCM2016), 1-4 August, 2016, Berkley, USA
- Plenary Speaker, International Conference on Design, Mechanical and Material Engineering (D2ME), Hong Kong Society of Mechanical Engineers, 8-10 September, 2016, Auckland, New Zealand
- Plenary Speaker, 6th International Conference on Structural Analysis of Advanced Materials (ICSAAM 2015), September 8-11, 2015, Porto, Portugal
- Chair, 6th International Conference on Computational Methods (ICCM2015), 15-17 July, 2015, Auckland, New Zealand
- Plenary Speaker, International Conference on Artificial Intelligence for Engineering (ICAIE 2015), 25-26 May, 2015, Kenting, Taiwan
- Visiting Scholars Fellowship (VSF), 2014, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Plenary Speaker, XIII Conference on Computational Mechanics (JMC), 2-3 October, 2014, Chilean Society of Computational Mechanics, University of Talca, Curico, Chile
- Co-chair, 8th Australasian Congress on Applied Mechanics (ACAM8), 24-26 November, 2014, Melbourne, Australia (Top ranked conference in Applied Mechanics in Australasian region).
- Early Career Research Excellence Award, University of Auckland, New Zealand, 2013
- AUEA Emerging Researcher Award, Auckland University Engineers Association (AUEA), 2013
- Visiting Fellowship (Professeur Associé), Department of Applied Sciences, University of Quebec, Canada, 2012
- CONICYT Award, Ministry of Education, Government of Chile, 2011-2012 (out of 28 worldwide awardees)
- Jim & Hazel D. Lord Emerging Faculty Fellowship, University of Auckland, New Zealand, 2011
- Faculty Top Fifteen Teachers Award, University of Auckland, New Zealand, 2010
- Adjunct Faculty (Professeur Associé), Department of Applied Sciences, University of Quebec (Université du Québec) at Chicoutimi, Canada, September, 2010- September, 2013.
- Deputy Chair, National Committee on Applied Mechanics under the Mechanical College of Engineers Australia, 2014-.
- Certificate of Merit Award (Five Best Papers Award) in World Congress in Engineering, International Association of Engineers, Hong Kong, 2008
- Plenary Speaker, 3rd International Conference on Nanomaterials and Electronics Engineering (ICNEE), 5-6 October, 2013, Melaka, Malaysia.
- ‘Keynote Speakers’ in the following conferences:
- 5th International Conference on Structural Analysis of Advanced Materials (ICSAAM-2013), 23 – 26 September, 2013, Island of Kos, Greece.
- 8th International Conference on Structural Integrity and Fracture (SIF2013), 11 - 12 July, 2013, Melbourne, Australia (organised by Australian Fracture Society).
- Invited Speaker, International Conference on Global Challenges and Prospects of Jute and Allied Fibres, Kolkata, India, 4-6 December, 2013.
- Invited Speaker, International Conference on CFD in Oil & Gas, Metallurgical and Process Industries, Trondheim, Norway, 10-12 June, 2008.
Areas of expertise
Computational Mechanics, Mesh-free Methods, Finite Element Methods, Multi-scale Modelling, Structural Optimisation, Composite Materials, Damage Tolerance Analysis, Failure Analysis, Fracture Mechanics, Fatigue, Impact Mechanics, Fluid Structure Interaction, Novel Materials, Architected materials, Metamaterials, Auxetic materials, Functionally graded materials.
- International Association for Computational Mechanics (IACM), Member, 2015-.
- Australian Association for Computational Mechanics (AACM), Member, 2015-.
- European Structural Integrity Society (ESIS), Member and New Zealand National delegate, 2012-.
- International Society for Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization (ISSMO), Elected Member (only New Zealand member), 2011-.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), USA, Member, 2010-.
- Institution of Engineers (IEAUST), Australia, Elected Member (Professional Engineer category), 2010-.
- Australian Fracture Group (AFG), Australia, Elected Committee Member, 2010-.
- National Committee on Applied Mechanics (NCAM), Mechanical College, Engineers Australia, Elected Committee Member (Total 11 members), 2009-.
- SPH European Research Interest Community (SPHERIC), Europe, Member, 2009-
- International Association of Engineers (IAE), Hong Kong, Member, 2008-.
- Aeronautical Society of India (ASI), New Delhi, India, Member, 2001-.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Banerjee, A., Calius, E. P., & Das, R. (2018). An impact based mass-in-mass unit as a building block of wideband nonlinear resonating metamaterial. International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, 101, 8-15. 10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2018.01.013
- Chen, Y., Das, R., & Battley, M. (2018). Experimental study on in-plane compressive response of irregular honeycombs. Journal of Composite Materials, 52 (8), 1121-1135. 10.1177/0021998317749964
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Mark Battley
- Amirpour, M., Bickerton, S., Calius, E., Mace, B. R., & Das, R. (2018). Numerical and experimental study on free vibration of 3D-printed polymeric functionally graded plates. Composite Structures, 189, 192-205. 10.1016/j.compstruct.2018.01.056
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Brian Mace, Simon Bickerton, Maedeh Amirpour
- Hu, G., Tang, L., & Das, R. (2018). Internally coupled metamaterial beam for simultaneous vibration suppression and low frequency energy harvesting. JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS, 123 (5)10.1063/1.5011999
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Guobiao Hu
- Chen, Y., Das, R., & Battley, M. (2018). An Approach for Characterising Cellular Polymeric Foam Structures using Computed Tomography. Paper presented at 7th International Conference on Structural Analysis of Advanced Materials (ICSAAM), Bucharest, ROMANIA. 19 September - 22 September 2017. 7TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS OF ADVANCED MATERIALS (ICSAAM 2017). (pp. 17). 10.1063/1.5024146
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Mark Battley
- (2018). Internally coupled piezoelectric metamaterial beam with multi-functionalities. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering. 10.1117/12.2296451
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lihua Tang, Guobiao Hu, Kean Aw
- Cao, J., Xie, S. Q., & Das, R. (2018). MIMO Sliding Mode Controller for Gait Exoskeleton Driven by Pneumatic Muscles. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 26 (1), 274-281. 10.1109/TCST.2017.2654424
- Banerjee, A., Das, R., & Calius, E. P. (2017). Frequency graded 1D metamaterials: A study on the attenuation bands. Journal of Applied Physics, 122 (7), 075101-075101. 10.1063/1.4998446