Professor Rob Doughty
MB BS (Lond.) MD FRCP FRACP FESC FCSANZ
Professor Rob Doughty holds the Heart Foundation Chair of Heart Health at the University of Auckland where he runs a programme of research related to improving the understanding of the causes, prevention and treatment of heart disease in NZ. He is a cardiologist at the Green Lane Cardiovascular Service, Auckland City Hospital and at the Auckland Heart Group.
Research | Current
Current research interests include the genetic and environmental causes of premature coronary disease, cardiovascular risk management, outcomes and innovative therapies for patients with heart failure, atrial fibrillation and individual patient data meta-analyses.
Refer to the Heart Health Research web pages for more information relating to current research programme.
Teaching | Current
Professor Doughty teaches at the Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences at The University of Auckland. Teaching responsibilities include undergraduate medical student teaching and supervision of postgraduate students.
Heart Foundation Chair of Heart Health, University of Auckland
Cardiologist, Green Lane Cardiovascular Service, Auckland City Hospital
Areas of expertise
Clinical research and clinical trials
Scientific Advisory Group of NZ Heart Foundation (2005 - present)
Assistant Editor for Heart 2013-2015
International Journal of Cardiology (Assistant Editor)
Assistant Editor for European Heart Journal – Cardiovascular Pharmacology (2014-present)
Cardiology Advanced Training Committee Auckland District Health Board (2008-present)
Continuing Education and Recertification Committee of the Cardiac Society (2010 -2015)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Gu, Y., Doughty, R. N., Freedman, B., Kennelly, J., Warren, J., Harwood, M., ... Rolleston, A. (2017). Burden of Atrial Fibrillation in Māori and Pacific People in New Zealand: A Cohort Study. Internal medicine journal10.1111/imj.13648
Other University of Auckland co-authors: John Kennelly, Matire Harwood, Ruth Teh
- Eyles, H., McCarroll, R., Neal, B., Jiang, Y., Doughty, R. N., McLean, R., & Ni Mhurchu, C. (2017). A salt-reduction smartphone app supports lower-salt food purchases for people with cardiovascular disease: Findings from the SaltSwitch randomised controlled trial. European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, 24 (13), 1435-1444. 10.1177/2047487317715713
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Yannan Jiang, Helen Eyles, Cliona Ni Mhurchu, Rebecca McCarroll
- Zewinger, S., Kleber, M. E., Tragante, V., McCubrey, R. O., Schmidt, A. F., Direk, K., ... Rothenbacher, D. (2017). Relations between lipoprotein(a) concentrations, LPA genetic variants, and the risk of mortality in patients with established coronary heart disease: a molecular and genetic association study. The lancet. Diabetes & endocrinology, 5 (7), 534-543. 10.1016/s2213-8587(17)30096-7
- Rolleston, A., Doughty, R. N., & Poppe, K. (2017). The effect of a 12-week exercise and lifestyle management programme on cardiac risk reduction: A pilot using a kaupapa Māori philosophy. International Journal of Indigenous Health, 12 (1), 116-116. 10.18357/ijih121201716905
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Katrina Poppe
- Poppe, K. K., Doughty, R. N., Wells, S., Gentles, D., Hemingway, H., Jackson, R., & Kerr, A. J. (2017). Developing and validating a cardiovascular risk score for patients in the community with prior cardiovascular disease. Heart, 103 (12), 917-922. 10.1136/heartjnl-2016-310668
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Katrina Poppe, Rodney Jackson, Susan Wells, Andrew Kerr
- Earle, N. J., Poppe, K. K., Doughty, R. N., Rolleston, A., Kerr, A. J., & Legget, M. E. (2017). Clinical characteristics and burden of risk factors among patients with early onset acute coronary syndromes: The ANZACS-QI New Zealand national cohort (ANZACS-QI 17). Heart, Lung and Circulation10.1016/j.hlc.2017.04.010
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Malcolm Legget, Nikki Earle, Katrina Poppe, Andrew Kerr
- Prickett, T. C. R., Doughty, R. N., Troughton, R. W., Frampton, C. M., Whalley, G. A., Ellis, C. J., ... Richards, A. M. (2017). C-Type Natriuretic Peptides in Coronary Disease. Clinical chemistry, 63 (1), 316-324. 10.1373/clinchem.2016.257816
- Kaye, D. M., Hasenfuß G, Neuzil, P., Post, M. C., Doughty, R., Trochu, J.-N., ... Rosenberg, M. (2016). One-Year Outcomes After Transcatheter Insertion of an Interatrial Shunt Device for the Management of Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction. Circulation. Heart failure, 9 (12).