Associate Professor Rachel Mary Fewster
I joined the department in 1999, following degrees from St Andrews (PhD Statistics) and Cambridge (MA Mathematics). Please see my personal webpage and publications list for more details, including links to PDFs and software.
I am currently coordinating the development of CatchIT, a data management, mapping, and analysis system for community and scientific pest control projects.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Hamilton, O. N. P., Kincaid, S. E., Constantine, R., Kozmian-Ledward, L., Walker, C. G., & Fewster, R. M. (2018). Accounting for uncertainty in duplicate identification and group size judgements in mark-recapture distance sampling. Methods in Ecology and Evolution, 9 (2), 354-362. 10.1111/2041-210X.12895
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Cameron Walker, Rochelle Constantine
- Cheeseman, J. F., Fewster, R. M., & Walker, M. M. (2017). Circadian and circatidal clocks control the mechanism of semilunar foraging behaviour. Scientific Reports, 710.1038/s41598-017-03245-3
Other University of Auckland co-authors: James Cheeseman, Michael Walker
- Fewster, R. M. (2017). Some applications of genetics in statistical ecology. AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, 101 (4), 349-379. 10.1007/s10182-016-0273-0
- McMillan, L. F., & Fewster, R. M. (2017). Visualizations for genetic assignment analyses using the saddlepoint approximation method. Biometrics, 73 (3), 1029-1041. 10.1111/biom.12667
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Louise McMillan
- Antunes, A. P., Fewster, R. M., Venticinque, E. M., Peres, C. A., Levi, T., Rohe, F., & Shepard, G. H. (2016). Empty forest or empty rivers? A century of commercial hunting in Amazonia. Science Advances, 2 (10), 1-14. 10.1126/sciadv.1600936
- Fewster, R. M., Stevenson, B. C., & Borchers, D. L. (2016). Trace-Contrast Models for Capture–Recapture Without Capture Histories. Statistical Science, 31 (2), 245-258. 10.1214/16-STS551
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ben Stevenson
- Vale, R. T. R., Fewster, R. M., Carroll, E. L., & Patenaude, N. J. (2014). Maximum likelihood estimation for model Mt,α for capture–recapture data with misidentification. Biometrics, 70 (4), 962-971. 10.1111/biom.12195
- Fewster, R. M., & Jupp, P. E. (2013). Information on parameters of interest decreases under transformations. Journal of Multivariate Analysis, 120, 34-39. 10.1016/j.jmva.2013.05.010