Professor Rodney Thornton Jackson
BHSc Auck., MBChB Auck., Dip Obs Auck., Dip Com Hlth Otago, MHSc Auck., PhD Auck.
Rod Jackson is a professor of epidemiology in the Section of Epidemiology & Biostatistics at the School of Population Health, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland. He is also the director of EPIQ (www.epiq.co.nz), an in-house group undertaking teaching and research in Evidence-based Practice (EP), health Informatics (I) and Quality improvement (Q), for healthcare services. He is medically trained, has a PhD in Epidemiology and is a fellow of the New Zealand College of Public Health Medicine. He has published over 280 peer-reviewed papers. His main research interest for the last 35 years has been the epidemiology of chronic diseases, particularly cardiovascular diseases. He is one of the architects of New Zealand risk-based clinical guidelines for managing CVD risk and he leads the HRC-funded VIEW2020 (Vascular Informatics using Epidemiology & the Web 2020) research programme (see University of Auckland web page on the VIEW research programme).
Research | Current
- Cardiovascular epidemiology
- Clinical epidemiology and Evidence-based healthcare
- Electronic clinical decision support
Teaching | Current
He teaches the epidemiology module in Population Health, the introductory undergraduate POPHLTH111 course, he teaches evidence-based medicine to Year 4 medical students and teaches on Evidence for Best Practice, the postgraduate POPHLTH709 course on evidence based practice.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Schilling, C., Knight, J., Mortimer, D., Petrie, D., Clarke, P., Chalmers, J., ... Jackson, R. (2017). Australian general practitioners initiate statin therapy primarily on the basis of lipid levels; New Zealand general practitioners use absolute risk. Health policy (Amsterdam, Netherlands)10.1016/j.healthpol.2017.09.022
- Grey, C., Jackson, R., Wells, S., Wu, B., Poppe, K., White, H., ... Kerr, A. J. (2017). First and recurrent ischaemic heart disease events continue to decline in New Zealand, 2005-2015. Heart (British Cardiac Society)10.1136/heartjnl-2017-311613
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Billy Wu, Corina Grey, Katrina Poppe, Susan Wells
- Poppe, K. K., Doughty, R. N., Wells, S., Gentles, D., Hemingway, H., Jackson, R., & Kerr, A. J. (2017). Developing and validating a cardiovascular risk score for patients in the community with prior cardiovascular disease. Heart (British Cardiac Society), 103 (12), 891-892. 10.1136/heartjnl-2016-310668
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rob Doughty, Katrina Poppe, Susan Wells
- Metcalf, P. A., Kyle, C., Kenealy, T., & Jackson, R. T. (2017). HbA1c in relation to incident diabetes and diabetes-related complications in non-diabetic adults at baseline. Journal of diabetes and its complications, 31 (5), 814-823. 10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2017.02.007
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Timothy Kenealy, Patricia Metcalf
- Shah, A. D., Thornley, S., Chung, S.-C., Denaxas, S., Jackson, R., & Hemingway, H. (2017). White cell count in the normal range and short-term and long-term mortality: international comparisons of electronic health record cohorts in England and New Zealand. BMJ open, 7 (2)10.1136/bmjopen-2016-013100
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Simon Thornley
- Swinburn, B., Vandevijvere, S., Woodward, A., Hornblow, A., Richardson, A., Burlingame, B., ... Arroll, B. (2017). Proposed new industry code on unhealthy food marketing to children and young people: will it make a difference?. New Zealand Medical Journal, 130 (1450), 94-101.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Simon Denny, Boyd Swinburn, Stefanie Vandevijvere, Alistair Woodward, Bruce Arroll, Cameron Grant, Christopher Bullen, Clare Wall, Cliona Ni Mhurchu, David Cameron-Smith, David Menkes, Diana Lennon, Lesley McCowan, Mark Elwood, Papaarangi Reid, Peter Davis, Rob Doughty, Robert Scragg, Shanthi Ameratunga, Susan Wells, Timothy Cundy
- Rodgers, A., Chow, C. K., Jackson, R. T., Patel, A., & Usherwood, T. (2017). Guideline for the diagnosis and management of hypertension in adults - 2016. The Medical journal of Australia, 206 (3)10.5694/mja16.01057
- Wells, S., Riddell, T., Kerr, A., Pylypchuk, R., Chelimo, C., Marshall, R., ... Kyle, C. (2017). Cohort Profile: The PREDICT Cardiovascular Disease Cohort in New Zealand Primary Care (PREDICT-CVD 19). International Journal of Epidemiology, 46 (1).10.1093/ije/dyv312
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Susan Wells, Corina Grey, Roger Marshall, Patricia Metcalf, Jeff Harrison, Carol Chelimo, Daniel Exeter, Romana Pylypchuk, Matire Harwood, Timothy Kenealy, Suneela Mehta, Jim Warren
- Media Contact
TAMAKI BUILDING 730 - Bldg 730
Level 4, Room 442
TAMAKI CAMPUS GATE 1, 261 MORRIN RD