Associate Professor Robert John Jacobs
BSc(Optom), MSc(Optom), PhD Melbourne, GradDipBus(Health Management), Cert Oc Pharm Auckland, LOSc Australian College of Optometry
Robert Jacobs is as Associate Professor in the School of Optometry and Vision Science.
From time to time he acts as an advisor in the area of visual ergonomics including visual problems within the aviation industry and vision standards.
Research | Current
Robert Jacobs is involved in the clinical vision sciences and has research interests in:
- Clinical vision research
- Clinical ocular prosthetics
Teaching | Current
Currently teaching clinical optometry, including low vision.
- Fellow, American Academy of Optometry
- Fellow, Australian College of Optometry
- Honorary member, New Zealand Association of Optometrists
- Bott medal (2007), New Zealand Optometric Vision Research Foundation
- HS Gilberd Medal (2014), New Zealand Association of Optometrists
- Member, New Zealand Order of Merit (2017)
- Deputy Chair, Director, Optometry Council of Australia and New Zealand
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Goodman, L., Chakraborty, A., Paudel, N., Yu, T.-Y., Jacobs, R. J., Harding, J. E., ... CHYLD Study Group (2018). Vision screening at two years does not reduce the prevalence of reduced vision at four and a half years of age. Clinical and Experimental Optometry, 101 (4), 527-534. 10.1111/cxo.12645
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nicola Anstice, Jane Harding, Benjamin Thompson, Lucy Goodman
- Jacobs, R. J. (2018). Gordon Sanderson MNZM BSc(Ophthalmic Optics) FBOA. Clinical & experimental optometry, 101 (3), 425-427. 10.1111/cxo.12665
- Ling, S., Jacobs, R., Ponton, R., Slark, J., Verstappen, A., Webster, C. S., & Poole, P. (2018). Influence of student debt on health career location and specialty. Journal of primary health care, 10 (1), 54-61. 10.1071/hc17052
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Phillippa Poole, Rhys Ponton, Julia Slark, Antonia Verstappen, Craig Webster
- McKinlay, C. J., Alsweiler, J. M., Anstice, N. S., Burakevych, N., Chakraborty, A., Chase, J. G., ... Jiang, Y. (2017). Association of neonatal glycemia with neurodevelopmental outcomes at 4.5 years. JAMA Pediatrics, 171 (10), 972-983. 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2017.1579
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jane Alsweiler, Chris McKinlay, Nicola Anstice, Deborah Harris, Yannan Jiang, Benjamin Thompson, Trecia Wouldes, Jane Harding, Greg Gamble, Ryan San Diego
- Thompson, B., McKinlay, C. J., Chakraborty, A., Anstice, N. S., Jacobs, R. J., Paudel, N., ... Harding, J. E. (2017). Global motion perception is associated with motor function in 2-year-old children. Neuroscience Letters, 658, 177-181. 10.1016/j.neulet.2017.08.062
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Chris McKinlay, Nicola Anstice, Jane Harding, Trecia Wouldes, Benjamin Thompson
- de Kok, D. S., Teh, R. O., Pillai, A., Connolly, M. J., Wilkinson, T. J., Jacobs, R., ... Schiphof, D. (2017). What is the relationship between visual impairment and cognitive function in octogenarians?. New Zealand Medical Journal, 130 (1460), 33-47.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Marama Muru-Lanning, Ruth Teh, Avinesh Pillai, Martin Connolly, Simon Moyes, Ngaire Kerse
- Paudel, N., Jacobs, R. J., Sloan, R., Denny, S., Shea, K., Thompson, B., & Anstice, N. (2017). Effect of simulated refractive error on adult visual acuity for paediatric tests. Ophthalmic & Physiological Optics, 37 (4), 521-530. 10.1111/opo.12387
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Benjamin Thompson, Nicola Anstice
- Chakraborty, A., Anstice, N. S., Jacobs, R. J., Paudel, N., LaGasse, L. L., Lester, B. M., ... Thompson, B. (2017). Global motion perception is related to motor function in 4.5-year-old children born at risk of abnormal development. Vision research, 135, 16-25. 10.1016/j.visres.2017.04.005
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nicola Anstice, Chris McKinlay, Jane Harding, Trecia Wouldes, Benjamin Thompson