Associate Professor Robert John Jacobs
BSc(Optom), MSc(Optom), PhD Melbourne, GradDipBus(Health Management), Cert Oc Pharm Auckland, LOSc Australian College of Optometry
Robert Jacobs is as Associate Professor in the School of Optometry and Vision Science.
From time to time he acts as an advisor in the area of visual ergonomics including visual problems within the aviation industry and vision standards.
Research | Current
Robert Jacobs is involved in the clinical vision sciences and has research interests in:
- Clinical vision research
- Clinical ocular prosthetics
Teaching | Current
Currently teaching clinical optometry, including low vision.
- Fellow, American Academy of Optometry
- Fellow, Australian College of Optometry
- Honorary member, New Zealand Association of Optometrists
- Bott medal (2007), New Zealand Optometric Vision Research Foundation
- HS Gilberd Medal (2014), New Zealand Association of Optometrists
- Member, New Zealand Order of Merit (2017)
- Deputy Chair, Director, Optometry Council of Australia and New Zealand
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Chapman, N. A., Anstice, N. S., & Jacobs, R. J. (2019). Geographic distribution of eye-care practitioners in Aotearoa/New Zealand: implications for future eye health workforce. Clinical & experimental optometry10.1111/cxo.12998
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nicola Anstice
- Black, J. M., Jacobs, R. J., Phillips, J. R., & Acosta, M. L. (2019). The changing scope of Optometry in New Zealand: historical perspectives, current practice and research advances. JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF NEW ZEALAND, 49 (2), 188-204. 10.1080/03036758.2019.1587476
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Joanna Black, John Phillips, Monica Acosta
- Chapman, N. A., Jacobs, R. J., & Braakhuis, A. J. (2019). Role of diet and food intake in age-related macular degeneration: a systematic review. Clinical & experimental ophthalmology, 47 (1), 106-127. 10.1111/ceo.13343
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrea Braakhuis
- Collins, A. V., Noori, M., Jacobs, R. J., & Anstice, N. S. (2018). Feedback improves measured visual acuity in adults. Paper presented at Annual Meeting of the Association-for-Research-in-Vision-and-Ophthalmology (ARVO), Honolulu, HI. 29 April - 3 May 2018. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. (pp. 2). Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Collins, Nicola Anstice
- Goodman, L., Chakraborty, A., Paudel, N., Yu, T.-Y., Jacobs, R. J., Harding, J. E., ... CHYLD Study Group (2018). Vision screening at two years does not reduce the prevalence of reduced vision at four and a half years of age. Clinical and Experimental Optometry, 101 (4), 527-534. 10.1111/cxo.12645
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nicola Anstice, Jane Harding, Benjamin Thompson, Lucy Goodman
- Jacobs, R. J. (2018). Gordon Sanderson MNZM BSc(Ophthalmic Optics) FBOA. Clinical & experimental optometry, 101 (3), 425-427. 10.1111/cxo.12665
- Ling, S., Jacobs, R., Ponton, R., Slark, J., Verstappen, A., Webster, C. S., & Poole, P. (2018). Influence of student debt on health career location and specialty. Journal of primary health care, 10 (1), 54-61. 10.1071/hc17052
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Phillippa Poole, Rhys Ponton, Julia Slark, Antonia Verstappen, Craig Webster
- Cowan, H., Bagg, W., Tsai, A., O'Connor B, Jacobs, R., & Woodward, A. (2018). Are lecture recordings sustainable for students and staff?. ANZAHPE 2018: Australian & New Zealand Association for Health Professional Educators Conference Hobart, Australia. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Angela Tsai, Warwick Bagg, Alistair Woodward