Associate Professor Rolando P Orense
BSCE, MSCE, Dr.Eng, MASCE, MIPENZ
- Associate Professor
- Associate Dean Postgraduate (2014-2017)
Rolando P. Orense has extensive professional experience, both as an educator/researcher and as practicing engineer/consultant in the field of geotechnical engineering, particularly geotechnical earthquake engineering and ground disaster mitigation engineering.
He received his BSCE (cum laude) and MSCE degrees from the University of the Philippines and Doctor of Engineering degree from the University of Tokyo (Japan). Before joining the University of Auckland, he also served as instructor at the University of the Philippines and as associate professor at the University of Tokyo and Yamaguchi University (Japan). Moreover, while working with top-notched geotechnical consulting firms in Tokyo and Manila, he had worked on a variety of soil engineering projects in Japan, Singapore and the Philippines.
He is a registered professional engineer in the Philippines and in Oregon (United States). He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and the Institute of Professional Engineers New Zealand (IPENZ).
1992 Dr. Eng Geotechnical Engineering, University of Tokyo (Japan)
1989 MS Civil Engineering, University of the Philippines
1984 BS Civil Engineering (cum laude), University of the Philippines
Research | Current
- Geotechnical earthquake engineering / soil dynamics
- Soil liquefaction and ground remediation techniques
- Slope movements and landslide risk mitigation
- Site and soil characterisation
- Geomechanics Group
- University of Auckland Centre for Earthquake Engineering Research
Teaching | Current
- CIVIL 722 - Slope Engineering
- CIVIL 725 - Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering
- CIVIL 741 - Ground Improvement
- Capstone Project
- Milad Naghibi
- Gislaine Pardo Tobar
- Xiaoyu Chen
- Omer Altaf
- Yuri Wong
- Baqer Asadi
- Sam Bahmani
- Julia Sit
- Technical Development Award, Japanese Geotechnical Society (2015)
- Best Poster Paper Award, 11th ANZ Conference on Geomechanics (2012)
- Special Award, University of Auckland (2011)
- Best Teacher Award, Yamaguchi University (2007)
- Business Plan Award, Japanese Geotechnical Society (2005)
- Engineering Award, Kisojiban Consultants Co. Ltd. (1997)
- Best Research Paper Award, Japanese Geotechnical Society (1997)
- Leader, Geomechanics Programme
- Manager, Geomechanics Laboratory
Areas of expertise
- Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering
- Soil Mechanics
- Foundation Engineering
- International Association for Engineering Geology (since 2009)
- New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering (since 2008)
- New Zealand Geotechnical Society (since 2008) - Member of Management committee (2017 - )
- Japan Society of Civil Engineers (since 2000)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (since 2000)
- International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (since 1996)
- Japanese Geotechnical Society (since 1990)
Editorial Board Membership
- Soils and Foundations
- Geotechnical Research (ICE)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Asadi, M. S., Asadi, M. B., Orense, R. P., Pender, M., & Jacobs, E. (2017). Undrained cyclic and post-liquefaction behaviour of natural pumiceous soils. Paper presented at 3rd International Conference on Performance-based Design in Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering (PBD-III), Vancouver, BC, Canada. 16 July - 19 July 2017. (pp. 7).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Sadeq Asadi, Baqer Asadi, Michael Pender
- Pardo Tobar, G., Orense, R. P., & Sarmah, A. (2017). Shear strength and liquefaction resistance of sand mixed with biochar. Paper presented at 3rd International Conference on Performance-based Design in Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering (PBD-III), Vancouver, BC, Canada. 16 July - 19 July 2017. (pp. 7).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ajit Sarmah
- Naghibi, M., Abuel-Naga, H., & Orense, R. (2017). Modified Odometer Cell to Measure Electrical Resistivity of Clays Undergoing Consolidation Process. Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 45 (4), 20160002-20160002. 10.1520/JTE20160002
- Orense, R. P., Mirjafari, Y., Asadi, S., Naghibi, M., Chen, X., Altaf, O., & Asadi, B. (2017). GROUND PERFORMANCE IN WELLINGTON WATERFRONT AREA FOLLOWING THE 2016 KAIKOURA EARTHQUAKE. BULLETIN OF THE NEW ZEALAND SOCIETY FOR EARTHQUAKE ENGINEERING, 50 (2), 142-151.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Baqer Asadi, Sadeq Asadi
- Rouholamin, M., Bhattacharya, S., & Orense, R. P. (2017). Effect of initial relative density on the post-liquefaction behaviour of sand. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 97, 25-36. 10.1016/j.soildyn.2017.02.007
- Chow, N., Orense, R. P., & Larkin, T. (Eds.) (2017). Seismic performance of soil-foundation-structure systems: Selected papers from the International workshop on Seismic performance of soil-foundation-structure systems, Auckland, New Zealand, 21-22 November 2016. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press. Pages: 250.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nawawi Chouw, Tam Larkin
- Hong, Y., Lu, Y., & Orense, R. P. (2017). Effective stress simulation of liquefaction-induced building settlements. Proceedings of the 16th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Santiago - Chile, 2017 Santiago, Chile.
- Naghibi, M., Abuel-Naga, H., & Orense, R. (2017). Lessons from Case Histories of Electro Osmosis Consolidation. Paper presented at 3rd Conference on Geotechnical Frontiers, Orlando, FL. 12 March - 15 March 2017. GEOTECHNICAL FRONTIERS 2017: TRANSPORTATION FACILITIES, STRUCTURES, AND SITE INVESTIGATION. (pp. 10).
- Media Contact
Tel: 09-373-7599 Ext. 88437
ENGINEERING BLOCK 1 - Bldg 401
Level 11, Room 1103
20 SYMONDS ST