Dr Rhys Ponton
BPharm, PhD, Pharmacist Independent Prescriber (UK).
Dr Rhys Ponton
Dr Rhys Ponton
https://unidirectory.auckland.ac.nz/profile/r-pontonProfessional Teaching Fellow The University of Auckland: Pharmacy
Teaching | Current
- BPharm (P213, P311, P312, P411) – Auckland University 2016-current
- Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy (P767) – Auckland University 2016-current
- Pharmacy – Drugs and Society’ (111G) – Auckland University 2016-current
- Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy – PHM036 - Online Distance: Developing and Implementing Models of Care, The Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, UK 2010- current
- BPharm – P411 (Final year, Oncology/Neurology/Psychiatry including drug misuse)
- Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy - P767 (Advanced Pharmacotherapy)
Areas of expertise
- Drug policy, in particular the impact this has on the health of drug users
- Drug misuse, specifically methods used by drug users to ingest drugs, the risks posed by these routes and the development of measures to reduce harm during illicit drug use
- Treatment of substance use disorders
- Pain treatment and the use of opioid analgesics in chronic pain
- Medicines optimisation in primary care
- Mental health
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Sumner, R. L., McMillan, R., Spriggs, M. J., Campbell, D., Malpas, G., Maxwell, E., ... Kirk, I. J. (2020). Ketamine Enhances Visual Sensory Evoked Potential Long-term Potentiation in Patients With Major Depressive Disorder. Biological psychiatry. Cognitive neuroscience and neuroimaging, 5 (1), 45-55. 10.1016/j.bpsc.2019.07.002
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rebecca McMillan, Rachael Sumner, Suresh Muthukumaraswamy, Ian Kirk, Frederick Sundram
- McMillan, R., Sumner, R., Forsyth, A., Campbell, D., Malpas, G., Maxwell, E., ... Sundram, F. (2019). Simultaneous EEG/fMRI recorded during ketamine infusion in patients with major depressive disorder. Progress in neuro-psychopharmacology & biological psychiatry, 9910.1016/j.pnpbp.2019.109838
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rachael Sumner, Frederick Sundram, Suresh Muthukumaraswamy
- Ponton, R., Noller, G., Berry, R., & Bullen, C. (2019). ILLICIT DRUG INJECTION IN NEW ZEALAND: DETAILING THE PROCESS TO REDUCE THE HARMS. DRUG AND ALCOHOL REVIEW. (pp. 1).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Chris Bullen
- Ponton, R. (2019). Faking it: the use of imitation drugs in research interviews. JOURNAL OF SUBSTANCE USE10.1080/14659891.2019.1659870
- Ponton, R., & Yan, S. (5/11/2018). Predicting harms posed by the illicit injection of pharmaceutical preparations in New Zealand. Poster presented at Australasian Professional Society on Alcohol & other Drugs (APSAD) 2018, Auckland, New Zealand. Drug and Alcohol Review (Nov 2018), 37 (Suppl. 3), 1–75. Related URL.
- Ponton, R., Sheridan, J., & Nielsen, S. (2018). NALOXONE PROVISION BY COMMUNITY PHARMACISTS IN NEW ZEALAND: EXPLORATION OF PHARMACISTS UNDERSTANDING OF NALOXONE, THEIR OPINIONS ON THIS NEW SERVICE PROPOSAL AND THEIR EXPERIENCE OF OVERDOSE IN CLOSE ACQUAINTANCES. DRUG AND ALCOHOL REVIEW. (pp. 1).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Janie Sheridan
- Ponton, R., & Sawyer, R. (2018). Opioid prescribing in general practice: use of a two-stage review tool to identify and assess high-dose prescribing. British journal of pain, 12 (3), 171-182. 10.1177/2049463717742420
- Ponton, R. (2018). Pregabalin misuse: preventing potential problems in New Zealand. New Zealand Medical Journal, 131 (1478), 50-54. Related URL.