Dr Rodrigo Ramalho
I am a Professional Teaching Fellow based in the Department of Social and Community Health at the School of Population Health. I coordinate two core courses of the Postgraduate Certificate in Alcohol and Drug Studies and contribute lectures to the programme and other courses. As a psychiatrist, I worked in a number of settings including Rural Mental Health & Addiction Services. A person-centred approach informed my clinical practice, and I have the same approach to education since I believe our teaching should mirror the type of health care we aim to promote. I see education as an interactional process, dialogical in nature and transformative in essence: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-39724-5_39
I am currently finishing my PhD in the Department of Social and Community Health. My PhD research looked at the processes involved in smoking cessation and becoming a non-smoker using a grounded theory methodology. Informed by a critical theory perspective, my research and publications had focused on contributing to the development of a more person-centred, ground-up, and contextually sensitive health care, with an increasing emphasis on mental health and addictions. My current research interests include mental health, addictions, tobacco smoking, and psycho-social aspects of illness and well-being.
Tamaki Update interview: Supportive environment leads to greater collaboration and non-smoking success
Teaching | Current
I coordinate the following courses: POPLPRAC 708: Assessment and Intervention with Addiction, and POPLHLTH 737 Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs.
Recipient of The University of Auckland Doctoral Scholarship.
2015. 11th Ain Shams International Congress. Early Career Psychiatrists Award. Cairo, Egypt
2013. WPA International Congress. Early Career Psychiatrists Fellowship Programme. Istanbul, Turkey
2008. WPA World Congress of Psychiatry. WPA Young Psychiatryc Council Member. Prague, Czech Republic
2008. XXV Congress of the Latin American Psychiatric Association (APAL). Latin American Fellows Program Delegate. Isla Margarita, Venezuela
2008. XXIV Argentinian Congress of Psychiatry. 5th Edition of the Young Psychiatrists and Trainees Development Program of the Association of Argentinian Psychiatrists (APSA). Mar del Plata. Argentina
Member, Centre For Addiction Research. The University of Auckland
Founding Member, Grounded Theory Network. The University of Auckland
Board Member, Section on Preventive Psychiatry and Mental Health Promotion. World Psychiatric Association
Member, Section on Education in Psychiatry. World Psychiatric Association
Early Career Psychiatrists Section. World Psychiatric Association
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Ramalho, R. (2018). Is 'giving up smoking' and 'becoming a non-smoker' the same thing?. Paper presented at Tobacco Control Seminar, Lower Hutt, New Zealand. 20 June - 20 June 2018. Related URL.
- Ramalho, R., Adams, P., Huggard, P., & Hoare, K. (2017). THE NATURALISATION OF NON-SMOKING. A GROUNDED THEORY STUDY ON BECOMING A NON-SMOKER. DRUG AND ALCOHOL REVIEW. (pp. 1).
- McLaughlan, D., Finch, E., Krausz, M. R., Rataemane, S., vanden Brink, W., Strang, J., ... Myers, B. (2017). World Psychiatric Association Position Statement on Substance Use Disorders. http://wpanet.org/uploads/Position_Statement/WPA%20position%20statement%20Addictions%2003102017.pdf. Related URL.
- Ramalho, R. (2017). Addictions and health inequities. The case of tobacco. Paper presented at 1st National Seminar. Recreational, Controversial, and Problematic Consumptions. Consequences in Health and Social Policy, Universidad Catolica de Asuncion, Paraguay.
- Braš M, Đorđević V, Ruiz-Moral, R., Deveugele, M., & Ramalho, R. (2017). The role of communication. In J. E. Mezzich, M. Botbol, G. N. Christodoulou, R. Cloninger, I. M. Salloum (Eds.) Person centered psychiatry (pp. 67-76). Springer International Publishing. 10.1007/978-3-319-39724-5_6
- Ramalho, R., Montenegro, R., Djordjevic, V., Braš M, & Christodoulou, N. (2017). Person-centered psychiatric education. In J. E. Mezzich, M. Botbol, G. N. Christodoulou, R. Cloninger, I. M. Salloum (Eds.) Person centered psychiatry (pp. 539-549). Springer International Publishing. 10.1007/978-3-319-39724-5_39
- Ramalho, R. (2015). Tobacco prevention programs: the importance of sociocultural context. Paper presented at 4th East European Psychiatric Congress & 3rd Preventive Psychiatry International Congress, Athens, Greece. 12 November - 15 December 2015. Related URL.
- Ramalho, R., Adams, P., Huggard, P., & Hoare, K. (2015). Literature review and constructivist grounded theory methodology. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung, 16 (3).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Peter Huggard