Dr Ross Angus McDonald
Ross MacDonald joined the University of Auckland in January 1996. He has a BA in Social Psychology, an MSc in Religious and Political Psychology and a PhD in Organisational Behavior and Business Ethics.
His teaching focuses on ethical issues, and the relation between business functioning and social outcomes. An award-winning teacher, he has strong interests in the teaching process, particularly with respect to the clarification of personal values in the classroom.
Ross is familiar with a wide range of educational media and in 1994 traveled in the Pacific and Africa conducting research for a television documentary series commissioned by Channel 4 in the UK.
Research | Current
Spirituality and economics
Impacts of multinational corporations in the Pacific Islands
and in environmental issues
Business ethics in alternative economic systems
Teaching | Current
|2012||MGMT 309||Organisational Ethics and Sustainability|
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- McDonald, R. (2015). Leveraging Change by Learning to Work with the Wisdom in the Room: Educating for Responsibility as a Collaborative Learning Model. Journal of Business Ethics, 131 (3), 511-518. 10.1007/s10551-014-2477-0
- McDonald, R. A. (2013). A Practical Guide to Educating for Responsibility in Management and Business (1). New York, New York: Business Expert Press. Pages: 159.
- McDonald, R. A. (2011). What are the Principles of a Humanistic Education?. In W. Amann, M. Pirson, C. Dierksmeier, E. Von Kimakowitz, H. Spitzeck (Eds.) Business Education Under Fire: Humanistic Education as the Way Forward (pp. 130-146). Palgrave-MacMillan.
- McDonald, R. A. (2010). Taking Happiness Seriously: Eleven Dialogues on Gross National Happiness. Thimphu, Bhutan: The Centre for Bhutan Studies. Pages: 139.
- McDonald, R. A. (2008). The Future of Gross National Happiness. Paper presented at 4th International Conference on GNH: Gross National Happiness: Practice and Measurement, Thimphu, Bhutan. 24 November - 27 November 2008. (pp. 19).
- McDonald, R. A. (2008). Educating for Happiness: Some Practical Questions and Possible Answers. Journal of Bhutan Studies, 19 (5), 42-65.
- McDonald, R. A. (2008). Happiness and the Eye of the Beholder: The Deeper Implications of GNH for a Morally Distracted World. Journal of Globalisation for the Common Good, Spring 2008
- McDonald, R. A. (2006). Selling Desire and Dissatisfaction: Why Advertising Should Be Banned From Bhutanese Television. Journal of Bhutan Studies, 14, 53-73.