Mr Renoh Johnson Chalakkal
M.Tech Signal Processing
Mr. Renoh Johnson Chalakkal completed his Bachelor of Technology degree from University of Calicut, India with a First Class Distinction in 2010. He completed his Master of Technology degree in Signal Processing from Mahatma Gandhi University, India in 2012 with Distinction. He worked as an Assistant Professor in India from 2012-2015 prior to joining the University of Auckland in 2015 to pursue his PhD degree in the ECE department. The interview with Renoh Johnson Chalakkal featured by Education New Zealand can be viewed using the link:
His areas of interest are image processing and transform analysis.
He is also featured as a blogger on the Education New Zealand website. The links to his articles can be found below:
Research | Current
Renoh is currently working on retinal image processing in order to develop a low cost automatic screening system which could help to diagnose diabetic retinopathy with much less effort and cost.
Supervisor: Dr. Waleed Abdulla
Teaching | Current
Graduate Teaching Assistant at University of Auckland
- 2017 Velocity 100k finalist
- Won $1000 in the Innovation challenge 2017 conducted by Velocity-The University of Auckland Entrepreneurship Programme for the idea "Diabetis Screening App".
- Recieved $500 (USD) as travel grant from IEEE Signal Processing Society to present the research paper at the ICASSP 2017 which was held at New Orleans, United States of America.
- Featured Blogger in Education New Zealand.
- Recieved the prestigious New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarship (NZIDRS) for pursuing his PhD degree at the University of Auckland.
- Recieved MHRD Scholarship (GATE) for pursuing his Masters degree.
- Recieved Indian Prime Minister's Scholarship for pursuing his Bachelor's degree.
- Completed both his Master's and Bachelor's degree with distinction.
Carry out research in Retinal Image Processing using various transforms and compare the performance.
Areas of expertise
Image Processing,Transform Analysis, Digital Signal Processing
- IEEE Member
- ISTE Member
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Chalakkal, R. J., & Abdulla, W. (2017). Automatic segmentation of retinal vasculature. 2017 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing Proceedings, 886-890. New Orleans, USA: IEEE. 10.1109/ICASSP.2017.7952283
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Waleed Abdulla
- Padmagireeshan, S. J., Johnson, R. C., Balakrishnan, A. A., Paul, V., Pillai, A. V., & Abdul Raheem, A. (2013). Performance analysis of magnetic resonance image denoising using contourlet transform. Proceedings - 2013 3rd International Conference on Advances in Computing and Communications, ICACC 2013, 396-399. Kochi, India: IEEE. 10.1109/ICACC.2013.84
- Chalakkal, R. J., Paul, V., N N, & S J, P. (2013). Comparison of Curvelet Generation 1 and Curvelet Generation 2 Transforms for Retinal Image Analysis. International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, 3 (3), 366-371. 10.11591/ijece.v3i3.2451
- Johnson, R. C. (2013). Detection and localization of texts from natural scene images using scale space and morphological operations. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies, ICCPCT 2013, 880-885. India: IEEE. 10.1109/ICCPCT.2013.6528865
- Johnson, R. C., Padmagireesan, S. J., Raheem, A., & Pillai, A. V. (2012). Comparison of curvelet and contourlet transforms for retinal analysis. 2012 Annual IEEE India Conference, INDICON 2012, 1214-1217. Kochi, India: IEEE. 10.1109/INDCON.2012.6420803