Associate Professor Sarah Elisabeth Hetrick
DPsych (Clinical), PGCert HSc (Child and Adolescent Mental Health), MA, BA
I am a clinical psychologist and Associate Professor of Youth Mental Health in the Department of Psychological Medicine, University of Auckland, and an honorary Principal Fellow in the Centre of Youth Mental Health, University of Melbourne with strong collaborative working partnerships with Orygen, The National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health and the Centre for Mental Health in the Melbourne School of Population and Global Health, University of Melbourne.
Research | Current
I have expertise and experience in evidence synthesis, including as an editor for the Cochrane Common Mental Disorders Group. I have undertaken a suite of reviews on the treatment of depression and suicide risk in young people, the results of which underpin recommendations in a number of international Clinical Practice guidelines. My Doctoral research focused on understanding risk factors for suicide related behaviors in young people with depressive disorders. Building on this study and my reviews, I held an NHMRC Training Fellowship focused practice improvement initiatives to ensure the best quality of care for young people with depression and/or at risk of suicide. More recently I have conducted a study on online depression and suicidal ideation monitoring in young people being treated for depression and now lead work on digital interventions to assist young people to manage intense emotions, including suicidal ideation and to prevent self-harm.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Merry, S. N., Cargo, T., Christie, G., Donkin, L., Hetrick, S., Fleming, T., ... Warren, J. (2020). Debate: Supporting the mental health of school students in the COVID-19 pandemic in New Zealand - a digital ecosystem approach. CHILD AND ADOLESCENT MENTAL HEALTH10.1111/camh.12429
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Liesje Donkin, Grant Christie, Sarah Hopkins, Jim Warren
- D'Souza S, Bowden, N., Gibb, S., Shackleton, N., Audas, R., Hetrick, S., ... Milne, B. (2020). Medication dispensing for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder to New Zealand youth. The New Zealand medical journal, 133 (1522), 84-95.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Stephanie D'Souza, Barry Milne
- Allott, K., Gao, C., Hetrick, S. E., Filia, K. M., Menssink, J. M., Fisher, C., ... Parker, A. G. (2020). Subjective cognitive functioning in relation to changes in levels of depression and anxiety in youth over three months of treatment (vol 6, e84, 2020). BJPSYCH OPEN, 6 (5)10.1192/bjo.2020.101
- Caldwell, D. M., Davies, S. R., Hetrick, S. E., Palmer, J. C., Caro, P., Lopez-Lopez, J. A., ... French, C. (2020). School-based interventions to prevent anxiety and depression in children and young people: a systematic review and network meta-analysis (vol 6, pg 1011, 2019). LANCET PSYCHIATRY, 7 (9), E59-E59.
- Allott, K., Gao, C., Hetrick, S. E., Filia, K. M., Menssink, J. M., Fisher, C., ... Parker, A. G. (2020). Subjective cognitive functioning in relation to changes in levels of depression and anxiety in youth over 3 months of treatment. BJPSYCH OPEN, 6 (5)10.1192/bjo.2020.68
- Perera, S., Hetrick, S., Cotton, S., Parker, A., Rickwood, D., Davenport, T., ... McGorry, P. (2020). Awareness of headspace youth mental health service centres across Australian communities between 2008 and 2015. Journal of mental health (Abingdon, England), 29 (4), 410-417. 10.1080/09638237.2019.1630718
- Jury, A., Koning, A., Lai, J., Tuason, C., Huriwai, T., & Hetrick, S. (2020). Hazardous drinking and general practitioner visits in the past year. New Zealand Medical Journal, 133 (1518).
- Hetrick, S. E., Meader, N., Bailey, A. P., Badcock, P. B., Moller, C. I., Cox, G. R., ... McKenzie, J. E. (2020). New generation antidepressants for depression in children and adolescents: a network meta-analysis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2020 (7).10.1002/14651858.CD013674
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Sally Merry