Associate Professor Sarah Elisabeth Hetrick
DPsych (Clinical), PGCert HSc (Child and Adolescent Mental Health), MA, BA
I am a clinical psychologist and Associate Professor of Youth Mental Health in the Department of Psychological Medicine, University of Auckland, and an honorary Principal Fellow in the Centre of Youth Mental Health, University of Melbourne with strong collaborative working partnerships with Orygen, The National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health and the Centre for Mental Health in the Melbourne School of Population and Global Health, University of Melbourne.
Research | Current
I have expertise and experience in evidence synthesis, including as an editor for the Cochrane Common Mental Disorders Group. I have undertaken a suite of reviews on the treatment of depression and suicide risk in young people, the results of which underpin recommendations in a number of international Clinical Practice guidelines. My Doctoral research focused on understanding risk factors for suicide related behaviors in young people with depressive disorders. Building on this study and my reviews, I held an NHMRC Training Fellowship focused practice improvement initiatives to ensure the best quality of care for young people with depression and/or at risk of suicide. More recently I have conducted a study on online depression and suicidal ideation monitoring in young people being treated for depression and now lead work on digital interventions to assist young people to manage intense emotions, including suicidal ideation and to prevent self-harm.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Zhou, X., Teng, T., Zhang, Y., Del Giovane, C., Furukawa, T. A., Weisz, J. R., ... Xiang, Y. (2020). Comparative efficacy and acceptability of antidepressants, psychotherapies, and their combination for acute treatment of children and adolescents with depressive disorder: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. The lancet. Psychiatry, 7 (7), 581-601. 10.1016/s2215-0366(20)30137-1
- Krysinska, K., Curtis, S., Lamblin, M., Stefanac, N., Gibson, K., Byrne, S., ... Ferrey, A. (2020). Parents' Experience and Psychoeducation Needs When Supporting a Young Person Who Self-Harms. International journal of environmental research and public health, 17 (10).10.3390/ijerph17103662
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kerry Gibson
- Fisher, C. A., Skocic, S., Rutherford, K. A., & Hetrick, S. E. (2020). Family therapy approaches for anorexia nervosa: A Cochrane Review. BJPsych Advances, 26 (3)10.1192/bja.2020.15
- Bowden, N., Gibb, S., Thabrew, H., Kokaua, J., Audas, R., Merry, S., ... Hetrick, S. E. (2020). Case identification of mental health and related problems in children and young people using the New Zealand Integrated Data Infrastructure. BMC medical informatics and decision making, 20 (1)10.1186/s12911-020-1057-8
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Hiran Thabrew, Sally Merry
- Berk, M., Mohebbi, M., Dean, O. M., Cotton, S. M., Chanen, A. M., Dodd, S., ... Weller, A. (2020). Youth Depression Alleviation with Anti-inflammatory Agents (YoDA-A): a randomised clinical trial of rosuvastatin and aspirin. BMC medicine, 18 (1)10.1186/s12916-019-1475-6
- Hetrick, S. E., Subasinghe, A., Anglin, K., Hart, L., Morgan, A., & Robinson, J. (2020). Understanding the Needs of Young People Who Engage in Self-Harm: A Qualitative Investigation. Frontiers in Psychology, 1010.3389/fpsyg.2019.02916
- Pascoe, M. C., Hetrick, S. E., & Parker, A. G. (2020). The impact of stress on students in secondary school and higher education. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ADOLESCENCE AND YOUTH, 25 (1), 104-112. 10.1080/02673843.2019.1596823
- Finlayson-Short, L., Hetrick, S., Krysinska, K., Harris, M., Salom, C., Bailey, E., & Robinson, J. (2020). A Survey of People With Lived Experience of Suicide-Related Behavior in Queensland, Australia. Crisis, 41 (1), 39-46. 10.1027/0227-5910/a000602