Dr Shaun Hotchkiss
I grew up in Auckland and was an undergraduate here from 2002-2006. Before arriving back I was a postdoctoral researcher in Brighton at Sussex University from 2013-2015, and before that I was at the Helsinki Institute of Physics and University of Helsinki from 2010-2013.
Before that, I received my doctorate from the theoretical physics department at Oxford University. While in Oxford, I was a post-graduate student at Balliol College. Before that, I was an undergraduate student of physics and maths here at the University of Auckland.
I also contribute to a collaborative blog, The Trenches of Discovery. The purpose of the blog is to help make fundamental research more accessible, as well as to open up a dialogue between different fields of research. More details regarding our motivation can be found here and here. And I also help to run the Life Beyond School programme.
You can find me on Twitter here: @just_shaun.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Musoke, N., Hotchkiss, S., & Easther, R. (2020). Lighting the Dark: Evolution of the Postinflationary Universe. Physical review letters, 124 (6)10.1103/physrevlett.124.061301
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Richard Easther, Nathan Musoke
- Adamek, J., Byrnes, C. T., Gosenca, M., & Hotchkiss, S. (2019). WIMPs and stellar-mass primordial black holes are incompatible. PHYSICAL REVIEW D, 100 (2)10.1103/PhysRevD.100.023506
- Edwards, F., Kendall, E., Hotchkiss, S., & Easther, R. (2018). PyUltraLight: A pseudo-spectral solver for ultralight dark matter dynamics. Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics (10)10.1088/1475-7516/2018/10/027
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Richard Easther
- Gosenca, M., Adamek, J., Byrnes, C. T., & Hotchkiss, S. (2017). 3D simulations with boosted primordial power spectra and ultracompact minihalos. Physical Review D, 96 (12).10.1103/PhysRevD.96.123519
- Bella, L. F. D. L., Regan, D., Seery, D., & Hotchkiss, S. (2017). The matter power spectrum in redshift space using effective field theory. Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, 2017.10.1088/1475-7516/2017/11/039
- Nadathur, S., Hotchkiss, S., & Crittenden, R. (2017). Tracing the gravitational potential using cosmic voids. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 467 (4), 4067-4079. 10.1093/mnras/stx336
- Adamek, J., Gosenca, M., & Hotchkiss, S. (2016). Spherically symmetric N-body simulations with general relativistic dynamics. Physical Review D, 93 (2)10.1103/PhysRevD.93.023526
- Nadathur, S., & Hotchkiss, S. (2015). The nature of voids – I. Watershed void finders and their connection with theoretical models. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 454 (2), 2228-2241. 10.1093/mnras/stv2131