In my previous research projects, I have had the opportunity of working with the ophthalmic fraternity to identify and report burden of ophthalmic diseases and often combined with aspects of neurological conditions such as cerebral palsy, and ophthalmic association of systemic drug poisoning. As an early stage researcher, I am pleased to have had the opportunity of collaborating with several medical practitioners, which formed the basis of my previous research.
My current research interests are on the corneal infections and their treatment. Currently, I am developing an animal model of keratitis to investigate the efficacy of a novel device that utilises Ultraviolet-C radiation to treat corneal infections. This project aims to identify the most effective and the safest UVC dose against corneal diseases through in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo investigations. The effects of the treatment on the genomic level and on the molecular level are being investigated.
I envisage that this research project will shade light on future means of keratitis management.
Research | Current
"Exploring the efficacy of UVC in treating Microbial Keratitis" (Primary supervisor, Associate Professor Jennifer P. Craig)
Teaching | Current
MBChB (III & Vth Year):
- Ophthalmology Instrumentation
- Slit lamp examination, Ophthalmoscopy, Pupilometer etc
- Further clinical methods
- Principles of Refraction & Visual Acuity, Pupils, Near Vision, Accommodation, Pupillary dilatation and Pupillary reflexes, Visual fields and IOP, Strabismus, Cover Test and Ocular Motility etc.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Marasini, S., Swift, S., Dean, S. J., Ormonde, S. E., & Craig, J. P. (2016). Spectrum and Sensitivity of Bacterial Keratitis Isolates in Auckland. Journal of ophthalmology, 201610.1155/2016/3769341
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jennifer Craig, Sue Ormonde, Simon Swift
- Marasini, S. (2016). Pattern of astigmatism in a clinical setting in Maldives. Journal of optometry, 9 (1), 47-53. 10.1016/j.optom.2015.02.002
- Gyawali, R., Nestha Mohamed, F., Bist, J., Kandel, H., Marasini, S., & Khadka, J. (2014). Compliance and hygiene behaviour among soft contact lens wearers in the Maldives. Clinical & experimental optometry, 97 (1), 43-47. 10.1111/cxo.12069
- Marasini, S., Khadka, J., Sthapit, P. R. K., Sharma, R., & Nepal, B. P. (2012). Ocular morbidity on headache ruled out of systemic causes—A prevalence study carried out at a community based hospital in Nepal. Journal of Optometry, 5 (2), 68-74. 10.1016/j.optom.2012.02.007
- Sharma, R., Marasini, S., Sharma, A. K., Shrestha, J. K., & Nepal, B. P. (2012). Methanol Poisoning: Ocular and Neurological Manifestations. Optometry and Vision Science, 89 (2), 178-182. 10.1097/OPX.0b013e31823ee128
- Marasini, S., Paudel, N., Adhikari, P., Shrestha, J. B., & Bowan, M. D. (2011). Ocular Manifestations in Children with Cerebral Palsy. Optometry and Vision Development, 42 (3), 178-182. Related URL.
- Sharma, R., Marasini, S., & Nepal, B. P. (2010). Tubercular scleritis. Kathmandu University Medical Journal, 8 (3), 352-356. 10.3126/kumj.v8i3.6228