Professor Stuart McNaughton
PhD, MA 1st Class Honours (in Education), BA
Research | Current
My programme of research has several strands. It includes work on the development of a psychological model of socialisation (incorporating concepts of teaching, learning and development) applicable to informal and formal educational settings which provides a means of analysing development within and across settings. Associated with this is the demonstration through research applications of ways of incorporating cultural processes in research tools and in explanations of teaching, learning and development. These applications contribute to solutions to a long standing difficulty in developmental and educational psychology, explaining the role of culture in teaching and learning. The programme involves systematic applications of these concepts to areas of educational concern, specifically literacy instruction and language acquisition, and the identification and testing of specific properties of instruction in procedures designed to enhance teaching and learning. The programme contributes also to the development of more effective and equitable education. In addition to specific instructional procedures, recent work includes the development of assessment tools for language and literacy applicable to both English medium and Maori medium instruction in New Zealand, and in English medium instruction in other countries.
My current position includes being a Director of the Woolf Fisher Research Centre which opened in October 1998. This is an externally funded centre developing research-based educational programmes in communities with low resources in South Auckland. I lead a research team (of colleagues, post doctoral and doctoral students) in studies of effective educational interventions for schooling success. The centre has a focus on Maori and Pacific Islands children’s educational achievement.
- Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit
Membership of Professional Associations
- New Zealand Psychological Society
Member 1974-1998; Awards Committee (Council) 1983
- New Zealand Association for Research in Education 1979 – present
President 1993 – 1995
Council Member 1991 - 1997
- American Educational Research Association
Member 1998 – to present
- American Psychological Association
Foreign Affiliate 1976 - to present
- International Reading Association
- Society for Research in Child Development
Member 1976 - to present
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Jesson, R., McNaughton, S., Rosedale, N., Zhu, T., & Cockle, V. (2018). A mixed-methods study to identify effective practices in the teaching of writing in a digital learning environment in low income schools. Computers & Education, 119, 14-30. 10.1016/j.compedu.2017.12.005
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Naomi Rosedale, Rebecca Jesson, Tong Zhu
- Reese, E., Keegan, P., McNaughton, S., Kingi, T. K., Carr, P. A., Schmidt, J., ... Morton, S. (2018). Te reo Māori: Indigenous language acquisition in the context of New Zealand English. Journal of Child Language, 45 (2), 340-367.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Peter Keegan, Susan Morton, Cameron Grant
- Lai, M. K., & McNaughton, S. (2018). Learning networks for sustainable literacy achievement. Networks for Learning: Effective Collaboration for Teacher, School and System Improvement (pp. 152-171). 10.4324/9781315276649
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Mei Lai
- Robinson, V., Bendikson, L., McNaughton, S., Wilson, A., & Zhu, T. (2017). Joining the dots: The challenge of creating coherent school improvement. Teachers College Record, 119 (8), 1-44.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Aaron Wilson, Linda Bendikson, Tong Zhu
- Wilson, A. J., McNaughton, S., & Zhu, T. (2017). Subject area literacy instruction in low SES secondary schools in New Zealand. Australian Journal of Language and Literacy, 40 (1), 72-85. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Aaron Wilson, Tong Zhu
- Mcnaughton, S., & Jesson, R. (2017). The provision, policies and practices of early literacy in New Zealand. In N. Kucirkova, C. E. Snow, Grøver V, C. McBride-Chang (Eds.) The Routledge international handbook of early literacy education (pp. 71-82). New York, USA: Routledge.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rebecca Jesson
- Meyer, F., Meissel, K., & McNaughton, S. (2017). Patterns of literacy learning in German primary schools over the summer and the influence of home literacy practices. Journal of Research in Reading, 40 (3), 233-253. 10.1111/1467-9817.12061
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kane Meissel, Frauke Meyer
- Lai, M., & McNaughton, S. (2016). The impact of data-use professional development on student achievement. Teaching and Teacher Education, 60, 434-443. 10.1016/j.tate.2016.07.005
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Mei Lai