Professor Sally Diana Poppitt
Appointed to the Fonterra Chair in Human Nutrition at the University of Auckland in June 2012, Sally is the founding Director of the University’s Human Nutrition Unit, a residential intervention facility established as a collaboration between the School of Biological Sciences and the Department of Medicine. Currently she is based within the Institute for Innovation in Biotechnology (IIB). Sally is also Principal Investigator for the Metabolic Health platform within the National Science Challenge High Value Nutrition (HVN) program, and member of the Science Leadership Team. She also holds a joint appointment at the New Zealand Centre of Research Excellence (CORE) for Food and Nutrition within the Riddet Institute.
Originally from Cambridge in the UK, Sally came to Auckland to take up a 5 year position as lecturer/senior lecturer in Nutrition in the Department of Medicine, after which she returned to the UK for 2 years. The opportunity to take on the role of Director of Clinical Trials Development at Protemix Corporation, a University spin off company developing therapies to prevent the metabolic complications of diabetes, led to her return to the University of Auckland as an Associate Professor within SBS in 2006.
Prior to her original appointment in the University, Sally held a 5 year Bristol Myers Mead Johnson research fellowship at the Medical Research Council & University of Cambridge Dunn Nutrition Unit in the UK; she also spent 3 years at the Dunn’s tropical nutrition research centre in rural West Kiang in The Gambia, on the far western tip of West Africa.
Research | Current
Current research is focused on the prevention and treatment of conditions arising from poor nutrition including overweight and obesity, metabolic dysregulation, and diabetic and cardiovascular risk. She has a particular interest in the mechanisms which underpin appetite regulation and the control of food intake. Within her role at the University she leads the dairy Primary Growth Partnership (PGP) human nutrition platform, part of the $72M joint NZ government/industry funded 7 year program of innovation for dairy science.
Fonterra Chair of Human Nutrition, University of Auckland
Director, Human Nutrition Unit, University of Auckland
Member of the Riddet Institute, Centre of Research Excellence(CoRE) for Food and Nutrition
Areas of expertise
Human Nutrition; Clinical Intervention Trials; Obesity and Weight Control; Appetite Regulation; Diabetes and Cardiovascular Risk
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Lim, J. J., & Poppitt, S. D. (2019). How Satiating Are the 'Satiety' Peptides: A Problem of Pharmacology versus Physiology in the Development of Novel Foods for Regulation of Food Intake. Nutrients, 11 (7).10.3390/nu11071517
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jia Jiet Lim
- Wu, Z. E., Kruger, M. C., Cooper, G. J. S., Poppitt, S. D., & Fraser, K. (2019). Tissue-Specific Sample Dilution: An Important Parameter to Optimise Prior to Untargeted LC-MS Metabolomics. Metabolites, 9 (7).10.3390/metabo9070124
- Sluik, D., Brouwer-Brolsma, E. M., Berendsen, A. A. M., Mikkila, V., Poppitt, S. D., Silvestre, M. P., ... Raben, A. (2019). Protein intake and the incidence of pre-diabetes and diabetes in 4 population-based studies: the PREVIEW project. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 109 (5), 1310-1318. 10.1093/ajcn/nqy388
- Huttunen-Lenz, M., Hansen, S., Meinart Larsen, T., Christensen, P., Drummen, M., Adam, T., ... Navas-Carretero, S. (2019). The PREVIEW Study: Supporting Behavior Change in an International Intervention Study Among Participants With Pre-Diabetes. European Journal of Health Psychology, 26 (1), 10-20. 10.1027/2512-8442/a000026
- Hansen, S., Huttunen-Lenz, M., Sluik, D., Brand-Miller, J., Drummen, M., Fogelholm, M., ... Larsen, T. M. (2018). Demographic and Social-Cognitive Factors Associated with Weight Loss in Overweight, Pre-diabetic Participants of the PREVIEW Study. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 25 (6), 682-692. 10.1007/s12529-018-9744-x
- Christensen, P., Larsen, T. M., Westerterp-Plantenga, M., Macdonald, I., Martinez, J. A., Handjiev, S., ... Astrup, A. (2018). Men and women respond differently to rapid weight loss: Metabolic outcomes of a multi‐centre intervention study after a low‐energy diet in 2500 overweight, individuals with pre‐diabetes (PREVIEW). Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, 20 (12), 2840-2851. 10.1111/dom.13466
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Marta Paulino Silvestre
- Swindell, N., Mackintosh, K., McNarry, M., Stephens, J. W., Sluik, D., Fogelholm, M., ... Handjieva-Darlenska, T. (2018). Objectively Measured Physical Activity and Sedentary Time Are Associated With Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in Adults With Prediabetes: The PREVIEW Study. Diabetes care, 41 (3), 562-569. 10.2337/dc17-1057
- Mitchell, C. J., D'Souza RF, Mitchell, S. M., Figueiredo, V. C., Miller, B. F., Hamilton, K. L., ... Durainayagam, B. (2018). Impact of dairy protein during limb immobilization and recovery on muscle size and protein synthesis; a randomized controlled trial. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), 124 (3), 717-728. 10.1152/japplphysiol.00803.2017
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Randall D'Souza, Sarah Mitchell, David Cameron-Smith
- Media Contact
(9) 373 7599
Primary office location
COMMERCE A - Bldg 114
Level 1, Room 114
3A SYMONDS ST