Dr Suzanne Jean Reid
Research | Current
Prior to my current Teaching Fellow role, my postdoctoral research focused on Alzheimers and Huntingtons disease, using genetics, simple cell culture models, C. elegans, transgenic sheep and human patient tissue and DNA to advance our knowledge of the molecular mechanisms behind these diseases. A major research focus was the molecular characterization of the transgenic sheep model of HD, using candidate gene and discovery methodologies, including RNAseq and metabolomics, playing a lead role in project management and logistics for the transgenic sheep project, and in enabling others in using the model for their research and preclinical trials.
Teaching | Current
Course co-ordinator BIOSCI 107 (Biology for Biomedicine) and BIOSCI 95F
Teach into BIOSCI 107 and BIOSCI 95F and MAORIHTH 22H. Previously taught into MEDSCI 717 and BIOSCI 759.
SBS Postgraduate sub-doctoral advisor.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Murray, S. J., Black, B. L., Reid, S. J., Rudiger, S. R., Simon Bawden, C., Snell, R. G., ... Faull, R. L. M. (2019). Chemical neuroanatomy of the substantia nigra in the ovine brain. Journal of chemical neuroanatomy, 97, 43-56. 10.1016/j.jchemneu.2019.01.007
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Russell Snell, Henry Waldvogel, Richard Faull
- Young, A. T., Ly, K. N., Wilson, C., Lehnert, K., Snell, R. G., Reid, S. J., & Jacobsen, J. C. (2018). Modelling brain dopamine-serotonin vesicular transport disease in Caenorhabditis elegans. Disease models & mechanisms, 11 (11).10.1242/dmm.035709
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Russell Snell, Kien Ly, Klaus Lehnert, Jessie Jacobsen
- Pfister, E. L., DiNardo, N., Mondo, E., Borel, F., Conroy, F., Fraser, C., ... Johnson, E. (2018). Artificial miRNAs Reduce Human Mutant Huntingtin Throughout the Striatum in a Transgenic Sheep Model of Huntington's Disease. Human gene therapy, 29 (6), 663-673. 10.1089/hum.2017.199
- Reid, S., Mckean, N., Henty, K., Portelius, E., Blennow, K., Rudiger, S., ... Faull, R. (2017). Alzheimer's disease markers in the aged sheep (Ovis aries). Neurobiology of Aging, 58, 112-119. 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2017.06.020
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Richard Faull, Renee Handley, Henry Waldvogel, Russell Snell
- Handley, R. R., Reid, S. J., Brauning, R., Maclean, P., Mears, E. R., Fourie, I., ... McLaughlan, C. J. (2017). Brain urea increase is an early Huntington's disease pathogenic event observed in a prodromal transgenic sheep model and HD cases. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 114 (52), E11293-E11302. 10.1073/pnas.1711243115
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Renee Handley, Garth Cooper, Henry Waldvogel, Richard Faull, Russell Snell
- Jacobsen, J. C., Erdin, S., Chiang, C., Hanscom, C., Handley, R. R., Barker, D. D., ... Snell, R. G. (2017). Potential molecular consequences of transgene integration: The R6/2 mouse example. Scientific Reports, 710.1038/srep41120
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jessie Jacobsen, Russell Snell, Renee Handley
- Geraerts, F. C. A., Snell, R. G., Faull, R. L. M., Williams, L., Jacobsen, J. C., & Reid, S. J. (2016). Comparison of Huntington’s disease CAG Repeat Length Stability in Human Motor Cortex and Cingulate Gyrus. Journal of Huntington's Disease, 5 (3), 297-301. 10.3233/JHD-160203
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Richard Faull, Russell Snell, Jessie Jacobsen
- Patassini, S., Begley, P., Xu, J., Church, S., Reid, S., Kim, E., ... Snell, R. (2016). Metabolite mapping reveals severe widespread perturbation of multiple metabolic processes in Huntington's disease human brain. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - Molecular Basis of Disease, 1862 (9), 1650-1662. 10.1016/j.bbadis.2016.06.002
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Garth Cooper, Maurice Curtis, Richard Faull, Michael Dragunow, Henry Waldvogel, Russell Snell