Dr Suzanne Jean Reid
Research | Current
Prior to my current Teaching Fellow role, my postdoctoral research focused on Alzheimers and Huntingtons disease, using genetics, simple cell culture models, C. elegans, transgenic sheep and human patient tissue and DNA to advance our knowledge of the molecular mechanisms behind these diseases. A major research focus was the molecular characterization of the transgenic sheep model of HD, using candidate gene and discovery methodologies, including RNAseq and metabolomics, playing a lead role in project management and logistics for the transgenic sheep project, and in enabling others in using the model for their research and preclinical trials.
Teaching | Current
Course co-ordinator BIOSCI 107 (Biology for Biomedicine) and BIOSCI 95F
Teach into BIOSCI 107 and BIOSCI 95F and MAORIHTH 22H. Previously taught into MEDSCI 717 and BIOSCI 759.
SBS Postgraduate sub-doctoral advisor.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Reid, S., Mckean, N., Henty, K., Portelius, E., Blennow, K., Rudiger, S., ... Faull, R. (2017). Alzheimer's disease markers in the aged sheep (Ovis aries). Neurobiology of Aging, 58, 112-119. 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2017.06.020
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Richard Faull, Renee Handley, Henry Waldvogel, Russell Snell
- Handley, R. R., Reid, S. J., Brauning, R., Maclean, P., Mears, E. R., Fourie, I., ... McLaughlan, C. J. (2017). Brain urea increase is an early Huntington's disease pathogenic event observed in a prodromal transgenic sheep model and HD cases. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 114 (52), E11293-E11302. 10.1073/pnas.1711243115
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Renee Handley, Garth Cooper, Henry Waldvogel, Richard Faull, Russell Snell
- Geraerts, F. C. A., Snell, R. G., Faull, R. L. M., Williams, L., Jacobsen, J. C., & Reid, S. J. (2016). Comparison of Huntington’s disease CAG Repeat Length Stability in Human Motor Cortex and Cingulate Gyrus. Journal of Huntington's Disease, 5 (3), 297-301. 10.3233/JHD-160203
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Richard Faull, Russell Snell, Jessie Jacobsen
- Handley, R. R., Reid, S. J., Patassini, S., Rudiger, S. R., Obolonkin, V., McLaughlan, C. J., ... Waldvogel, H. J. (2016). Metabolic disruption identified in the Huntington's disease transgenic sheep model. Scientific Reports, 610.1038/srep20681
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Renee Handley, Richard Faull, Henry Waldvogel, Russell Snell, Jessie Jacobsen
- Patassini, S., Begley, P., Reid, S., Xu, J., Church, S., Curtis, M., ... Snell, R. (2015). Identification of elevated urea as a severe, ubiquitous metabolic defect in the brain of patients with Huntington's disease. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 468 (1-2), 161-166. 10.1016/j.bbrc.2015.10.140
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Garth Cooper, Richard Faull, Michael Dragunow, Henry Waldvogel, Russell Snell, Maurice Curtis
- Ly, K., Reid, S. J., & Snell, R. G. (2015). Rapid RNA analysis of individual Caenorhabditis elegans. MethodsX, 2, 59-63. 10.1016/j.mex.2015.02.002
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Russell Snell, Kien Ly
- Reid, S. J., Patassini, S., Handley, R. R., Rudiger, S. R., McLaughlan, C. J., Osmand, A., ... Waldvogel, H. (2013). Further Molecular Characterisation of the OVT73 Transgenic Sheep Model of Huntington's Disease Identifies Cortical Aggregates. Journal of Huntingtons Disease, 2 (3), 279-295. 10.3233/jhd-130067
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Richard Faull, Henry Waldvogel, Russell Snell, Renee Handley, Jessie Jacobsen
- Chiang, C., Jacobsen, J. C., Ernst, C., Hanscom, C., Heilbut, A., Blumenthal, I., ... Rudiger, S. R. (2012). Complex reorganization and predominant non-homologous repair following chromosomal breakage in karyotypically balanced germline rearrangements and transgenic integration. NATURE GENETICS, 44 (4), 390-U195. 10.1038/ng.2202
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Richard Faull, Russell Snell