Dr Simon James Thornley
I am a Public Health Physician, lecturer and researcher in the section of Epidemiology and Biostatistics. My research interests include tobacco dependence, food addiction and obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, psychiatric disease, injury and environmental epidemiology. Outside of work, I'm an avid reader, cyclist and cycle advocate. I also co-ordinate the course POPLHLTH 304, Applied Epidemiology, in the third year of the Batchelor of Health Sciences Degree. Photo supplied by Adrian Malloch photography; www.malloch.co.nz.
Research | Current
- cardiovascular disease
- environmental health
- injury prevention
Teaching | Current
Course co-ordinator POPLHLTH 304; Principles of Applied Epidemiology.
Areas of expertise
Public Health, biostatistics, epidemiology, food addiction, cardiovascular disease.
FIZZ (Fighting sugar in soft drinks advocacy group)
Fellow of the Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Thornley, S., Marshall, R., Reynolds, G., Koopu, P., Sundborn, G., & Schofield, G. (2017). Low sugar nutrition policies and dental caries: A study of primary schools in South Auckland. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 53 (5), 494-499. 10.1111/jpc.13449
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Roger Marshall, Gerhard Sundborn
- Thornley, S., Marshall, R. J., Bach, K., Koopu, P., Reynolds, G., Sundborn, G., & Ei, W. L. S. S. (2017). Sugar, dental caries and the incidence of acute rheumatic fever: A cohort study of Māori and Pacific children. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 71 (4), 364-370. 10.1136/jech-2016-208219
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Gerhard Sundborn, Roger Marshall
- Schofield, G. M., Henderson, G., & Thornley, S. (2016). Very low-carbohydrate diets in the management of diabetes revisited. The New Zealand medical journal, 129 (1432), 67-74.
- Thornley, S., Marshall, R. J., Jackson, R., Gentles, D., Dalbeth, N., Crengle, S., ... Wells, S. (2013). Is serum urate causally associated with incident cardiovascular disease?. Rheumatology (Oxford), 52 (1), 135-142. 10.1093/rheumatology/kes269
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Susan Wells, Roger Marshall, Rod Jackson, Nicola Dalbeth, Andrew Kerr
- Jackson, G., Thornley, S., Woolston, J., Papa, D., Bernacchi, A., & Moore, T. (2011). Reduced acute hospitalisation with the healthy housing programme. J Epidemiol Community Health, 65 (7), 588-593. 10.1136/jech.2009.107441
- Thornley, S., Stewart, A., Marshall, R., & Jackson, R. (2011). Per capita sugar consumption is associated with severe childhood asthma: An ecological study of 53 countries. Primary Care Respiratory Journal, 20 (1), 75-78. 10.4104/pcrj.2010.00087
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Roger Marshall, Rod Jackson
- Media Contact
Tuesday to Friday
Primary office location
TAMAKI BUILDING 730 - Bldg 730
Level 4, Room 443
TAMAKI CAMPUS GATE 1 261 MORRIN RD