Mrs Susan Waterworth
DANS, MSc, MPhil
Susan Waterworth is a Registered General nurse with experience in cancer, haematologly and palliative care, as well as extensive management experience. Her current interests are in transition and this applies not only on an individual basis e.g., supporting people with long term conditions with their life transitions and life style management, but also from a broader perspective of transition and managing change in the health system. Member of the University of Auckland Palliative Care Research Group and the Applied Ageing Research Group, The University of Auckland.
Research | Current
- Gott, M., Bellamy, G., Arroll, WATERWORTH, S., Jull, A. & MacLeod, R. A study to examine patient involvement in decision-making regarding future care and treatment options. The University of Auckland.
- Managing transitions (chronic health and lifestyle management issues)
- End of life care, palliative care.
- Patient involvement in decision making.
- Management and leadership (change in the health system and managing change and transition)
Teaching | Current
- Leadership and Management
- Long term condition management in Primary Health Care
Course co-ordinator Nursing 775 Leadership and Management for Quality Health Care
Course co-ordinator Nursing 732 Leading and Managing Changes in Health Care
- 2005. Fellow of College of Nurses Aotearoa.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Waterworth, S., Arroll, B., Raphael, D., Parsons, J., & Gott, M. (2015). A qualitative study of nurses' clinical experience in recognising low mood and depression in older patients with multiple long-term conditions. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 24 (17-18), 2562-2570. 10.1111/jocn.12863
Other University of Auckland co-authors: John Parsons, Merryn Gott, Deborah Raphael, Bruce Arroll
- Waterworth, S., & Jorgensen, D. (2010). It's not just about heart failure--voices of older people in transition to dependence and death. Health Soc Care Community, 18 (2), 199-207. 10.1111/j.1365-2524.2009.00892.x