Professor Suzanne Lyn Barker-Collo
Research | Current
My research interests lie in the areas of neuropsychological assessment and rehabilitation.
Teaching | Current
I teach Clinical Neuropsychology, and Research and Professional Issues as part of the Clinical Training Programme.
Examples of student research topics in these areas conducted under my supervision include:
- Rehabilitation of memory following brain injury
- Long term outcomes of posterior fossa tumours in childhood
- Information processing in multiple sclerosis
- Poststroke cognition and mood.
I also maintain active research supervision for topics more general to clinical psychology such as:
- Testing a model of violence prediction in the general population
- Examining the impact of antenatal yoga on birth outcomes.
Honorary staff member of the National Centre for Stroke, Applied neurosciences and Neurorehabilitation (NRC-SANN)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Barker-Collo, S., Theadom, A., Starkey, N., Kahan, M., Jones, K., & Feigin, V. (2018). Factor structure of the Rivermead Post-Concussion Symptoms Questionnaire over the first year following mild traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj, 1-6. 10.1080/02699052.2018.1429659
- Theadom, A., Starkey, N., Barker-Collo, S., Jones, K., Ameratunga, S., Feigin, V., & BIONIC4you Research Group (2018). Population-based cohort study of the impacts of mild traumatic brain injury in adults four years post-injury. PLoS One, 13 (1)10.1371/journal.pone.0191655
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Shanthi Ameratunga
- Krishnamurthi, R. V., Barker-Collo, S., Parag, V., Parmar, P., Witt, E., Jones, A., ... Feigin, V. L. (2018). Stroke Incidence by Major Pathological Type and Ischemic Subtypes in the Auckland Regional Community Stroke Studies: Changes Between 2002 and 2011. Stroke, 49 (1), 3-10. 10.1161/strokeaha.117.019358
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alan Barber, Varsha Parag
- Mahon, S., Parmar, P., Barker-Collo, S., Krishnamurthi, R., Jones, K., Theadom, A., & Feigin, V. (2017). Determinants, Prevalence, and Trajectory of Long-Term Post-Stroke Cognitive Impairment: Results from a 4-Year Follow-Up of the ARCOS-IV Study. Neuroepidemiology, 49 (3-4), 129-134. 10.1159/000484606
- Theadom, A., Barker-Collo, S., Jones, K., Dudley, M., Vincent, N., & Feigin, V. (2017). A pilot randomized controlled trial of on-line interventions to improve sleep quality in adults after mild or moderate traumatic brain injury. Clinical rehabilitation10.1177/0269215517736671
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Margaret Dudley
- Feigin, V. L., Abajobir, A. A., Abate, K. H., Abd-Allah, F., Abdulle, A. M., Abera, S. F., ... Aichour, I. (2017). Global, regional, and national burden of neurological disorders during 1990–2015: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015. The Lancet Neurology10.1016/S1474-4422(17)30299-5
- Vos, T., Abajobir, A. A., Abate, K. H., Abbafati, C., Abbas, K. M., Abd-Allah, F., ... Abera, S. F. (2017). Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 328 diseases and injuries for 195 countries, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. The Lancet, 390 (10100), 1211-1259. 10.1016/S0140-6736(17)32154-2
- Abajobir, A. A., Abate, K. H., Abbafati, C., Abbas, K. M., Abd-Allah, F., Abera, S. F., ... Adedeji, I. A. (2017). Global, regional, and national under-5 mortality, adult mortality, age-specific mortality, and life expectancy, 1970–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. The Lancet, 390 (10100), 1084-1150. 10.1016/S0140-6736(17)31833-0