Professor Suzanne Lyn Barker-Collo
Research | Current
My research interests lie in the areas of neuropsychological assessment and rehabilitation.
Teaching | Current
I teach Clinical Neuropsychology, and Research and Professional Issues as part of the Clinical Training Programme.
Examples of student research topics in these areas conducted under my supervision include:
- Rehabilitation of memory following brain injury
- Long term outcomes of posterior fossa tumours in childhood
- Information processing in multiple sclerosis
- Poststroke cognition and mood.
I also maintain active research supervision for topics more general to clinical psychology such as:
- Testing a model of violence prediction in the general population
- Examining the impact of antenatal yoga on birth outcomes.
Honorary staff member of the National Centre for Stroke, Applied neurosciences and Neurorehabilitation (NRC-SANN)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Mahon, S., Theadom, A., Barker-Collo, S., Taylor, S., Krishnamurthi, R., Jones, K., ... Feigin, V. (2018). The Contribution of Vascular Risk Factors in Prevalence of Fatigue Four Years Following Stroke: Results from a Population-Based Study. Journal of stroke and cerebrovascular diseases : the official journal of National Stroke Association10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2018.03.020
- Phan, H. T., Blizzard, C. L., Reeves, M. J., Thrift, A. G., Cadilhac, D. A., Sturm, J., ... Anderson, C. (2018). Factors contributing to sex differences in functional outcomes and participation after stroke. Neurology10.1212/wnl.0000000000005602
- Theadom, A., Barker-Collo, S., Jones, K. M., Parmar, P., Bhattacharjee, R., & Feigin, V. L. (2018). MLC901 (NeuroAiD II™) for cognition after traumatic brain injury: a pilot randomized clinical trial. European journal of neurology10.1111/ene.13653
- Starkey, N. J., Jones, K., Case, R., Theadom, A., Barker-Collo, S., & Feigin, V. (2018). Post-concussive symptoms after a mild traumatic brain injury during childhood and adolescence. Brain injury, 1-10. 10.1080/02699052.2018.1439533
- Mahon, S., Krishnamurthi, R., Vandal, A., Witt, E., Barker-Collo, S., Parmar, P., ... Rush, E. (2018). Primary prevention of stroke and cardiovascular disease in the community (PREVENTS): Methodology of a health wellness coaching intervention to reduce stroke and cardiovascular disease risk, a randomized clinical trial. International journal of stroke : official journal of the International Stroke Society, 13 (2), 223-232. 10.1177/1747493017730759
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bruce Arroll
- Barker-Collo, S., Theadom, A., Starkey, N., Kahan, M., Jones, K., & Feigin, V. (2018). Factor structure of the Rivermead Post-Concussion Symptoms Questionnaire over the first year following mild traumatic brain injury. Brain injury, 1-6. 10.1080/02699052.2018.1429659
- Theadom, A., Starkey, N., Barker-Collo, S., Jones, K., Ameratunga, S., Feigin, V., & BIONIC4you Research Group (2018). Population-based cohort study of the impacts of mild traumatic brain injury in adults four years post-injury. PLoS One, 13 (1)10.1371/journal.pone.0191655
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Shanthi Ameratunga
- Krishnamurthi, R. V., Barker-Collo, S., Parag, V., Parmar, P., Witt, E., Jones, A., ... Feigin, V. L. (2018). Stroke Incidence by Major Pathological Type and Ischemic Subtypes in the Auckland Regional Community Stroke Studies: Changes Between 2002 and 2011. Stroke, 49 (1), 3-10. 10.1161/strokeaha.117.019358
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alan Barber, Varsha Parag