Professor Suzanne Lyn Barker-Collo
Research | Current
My research interests lie in the areas of neuropsychological assessment and rehabilitation.
Teaching | Current
I teach Clinical Neuropsychology, and Research and Professional Issues as part of the Clinical Training Programme.
Examples of student research topics in these areas conducted under my supervision include:
- Rehabilitation of memory following brain injury
- Long term outcomes of posterior fossa tumours in childhood
- Information processing in multiple sclerosis
- Poststroke cognition and mood.
I also maintain active research supervision for topics more general to clinical psychology such as:
- Testing a model of violence prediction in the general population
- Examining the impact of antenatal yoga on birth outcomes.
Honorary staff member of the National Centre for Stroke, Applied neurosciences and Neurorehabilitation (NRC-SANN)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Mahon, S., Faulkner, J., Barker-Collo, S., Krishnamurthi, R., Jones, K., & Feigin, V. (2020). Slowed Information Processing Speed at Four Years Poststroke: Evidence and Predictors from a Population-Based Follow-up Study. Journal of stroke and cerebrovascular diseases : the official journal of National Stroke Association, 29 (2)10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2019.104513
- Local Burden of Disease Educational Attainment Collaborators (2020). Mapping disparities in education across low- and middle-income countries. Nature, 577 (7789), 235-238. 10.1038/s41586-019-1872-1
- Shepherd, D., Landon, J., Kalloor, M., Barker-Collo, S., Starkey, N., Jones, K., ... BIONIC Research Group (2019). The association between health-related quality of life and noise or light sensitivity in survivors of a mild traumatic brain injury. Quality of life research : an international journal of quality of life aspects of treatment, care and rehabilitation10.1007/s11136-019-02346-y
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Shanthi Ameratunga
- Feigin, V. L., Krishnamurthi, R., Barker-Collo, S., Barber, P. A., Rathnasabapathy, Y., Te Ao, B., ... Swain, A. (2019). Measuring stroke and transient ischemic attack burden in New Zealand: Protocol for the fifth Auckland Regional Community Stroke Study (ARCOS V). International journal of stroke : official journal of the International Stroke Society10.1177/1747493019884528
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alan Barber, Braden Te Ao
- Dudley, M. D., Barker-Collo, S. L., Wilson, D. L., & Garrett, N. K. (2019). Factors Associated with Māori Performance on the WAIS-IV. Archives of clinical neuropsychology : the official journal of the National Academy of Neuropsychologists, 34 (7), 1203-1216. 10.1093/arclin/acy110
- Barker-Collo, S., Krishnamurthi, R., Theadom, A., Jones, K., Starkey, N., & Feigin, V. (2019). Incidence of stroke and traumatic brain injury in New Zealand: contrasting the BIONIC and ARCOS-IV studies. The New Zealand medical journal, 132 (1502), 40-54.
- Phan, H. T., Blizzard, C. L., Reeves, M. J., Thrift, A. G., Cadilhac, D. A., Sturm, J., ... Anderson, C. S. (2019). Sex Differences in Long-Term Quality of Life Among Survivors After Stroke in the INSTRUCT. Stroke, 50 (9), 2299-2306. 10.1161/strokeaha.118.024437
- Jones, K. M., Theadom, A., Barker-Collo, S., Broadbent, E., Feigin, V. L., & BIONIC study group (2019). Associations between brain drawings following mild traumatic brain injury and negative illness perceptions and post-concussion symptoms at 4 years. Journal of health psychology, 24 (10), 1448-1458. 10.1177/1359105317695430
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Varsha Parag, Elizabeth Broadbent, Alan Barber, Shanthi Ameratunga, Robert Kydd