Mr Nima Hosseini
BSc and MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Research | Current
A model of gastric motility and emptying based on high-resolution electrophysiological recordings.
This project aims to develop an anatomically realistic model of the contracting stomach. Contractions will be based upon existing high-resolution recordings of gastric electrical activity. This model will then be coupled to fluid dynamic simulations to interrogate the effects of different motility patterns on digesta and its influences on gastric emptying rates. Current fluid dynamic models typically rely on simplified geometries and the majority use artificially prescribed boundary conditions to represent the motility of the stomach or small intestine. There are a limited number of models that use experimental data to coordinate the mechanical contractions. The influence of normal and abnormal slow wave propagation profiles on mixing and gastric emptying rates will be determined.
These aims will be achieved by:
1. Using experimentally derived slow wave patterns of the stomach to determine and drive realistic mechanical contractions.
2. Using these mechanical contractions to drive fluid dynamics simulations.
3. Investigate the changes in the properties of digesta on luminal flow and gastric emptying rates.
Areas of expertise
- Fluid Flow Simulations
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Heat transfer
- Artificial Neural Networks
- Noise and Sound Analysis
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Hosseini, S., & Tahavvor, A. R. (2015). Estimating The Flow Velocity Using Flow Generated Sound. 10.5281/zenodo.1107976 https://zenodo.org/record/1107976#.XNTXbGw8SUk.
- Tahavvor, A. R., Hosseini, S., Jowkar, N., & Amiri, B. (2015). Numerical Investigation Of Natural Convection Of Pine, Olive, And Orange Leaves. 10.5281/zenodo.1105945 https://zenodo.org/record/1105945#.XNTWsWw8SUk.
- Tahavvor, A. R., & Hosseini, S. (2015). THE EFFECTS OF HUMIDITY, COMPRESSOR OPERATION TIME AND AMBIENT TEMPERATURE ON FROST FORMATION IN AN INDUSTRIAL FRIDGE. IRANIAN JOURNAL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY-TRANSACTIONS OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, 39 (M1), 197-203.
- Tahavvor, A. R., Hosseini, S., & Fard, A. K. (2014). Numerical Investigation of the Effect of Number of Waves on Heat Transfer in a Wavy Wall Enclosure. 10.5281/zenodo.1096930 https://zenodo.org/record/1096930#.XNTV2mw8SUl.