Professor Siew-Young Quek
BSc (1st Class Hons), PhD
Professor Siew-Young Quek
Professor Siew-Young Quek
https://unidirectory.auckland.ac.nz/profile/sy-quekProfessor The University of Auckland: Chemical Sciences
Research | Current
- Bioactive and functional food research including extraction & separation of bioactives from waste by-product (e.g. antioxidants, functional lipid, collagen, gelatine, carotene and vitamin E), evaluating and developing suitable bioactive delivery systems (including microencapsulation) for bioactive components such as omega 3 fatty acids, phytosterols and vitamins.
- Functiona Food Product Development
Utilisation of functional food ingredients to formulate value-added and specialty food products; sensory evaluation for product acceptance; relation of food properties and sensory attributes.
- Lipid science and antioxidant including emulsion properties and stability, characterization of fats & oils, omega-3 fatty acids, lipid oxidation and antioxidant determination.
- Relation of food properties and processing including physicochemical, nutritional, sensory qualities and microbiological safety of foods and both thermal (spray drying, common heating treatment e.g., baking, pan fried) and non-thermal (e.g. high pressure processing) processing as well as post-harvest treatment.
- Food Waste Utilisation
Utilisation of food processing waste for water treatment; extraction of antioxidants from food waste.
- Biodegradable / Nanocomposites Food Packaging
Characterisation and application of biodegradable and nanocomposites materials as food packaging; shelf life of food, interactions between food components and nanocomposite food packaging materials.
Teaching | Current
- FOODSCI 303 Sensory Science (Course Coordinator)
- FOODSCI 304 Food Product Development (Course Coordinator)
- FOODSCI 709 Selected Topics in Food Science (Interaction in Food System Module Coordinator)
- FOODSCI 788 BSc(Hons) Dissertation in Food Science
- Supervised/co-supervised a total of 18 PhD, 46 MSc, 54 BSc (Hons), 13 PG Diploma and 12 internship/summer projects to completion since 2002. Currently supervise/co-supervise 10 PhD, 12 MSc and 2 BSC(Hons.) students.
- Fellow, The New Zealand Institute of Food Science and Technology, 2012 to present
- Shanghai Outstanding Overseas Scholar, 2014-15
- Visiting research fellow, Guelph Food Research Center, Canada, June-July, 2013
- Visiting scholar, Department of Food Science, University of Massachusetts, US, April-May 2013
- Visiting professor, College of Chemistry & Chemical Engineering, Xiamen University, China, Oct-Dec 2012
- Honourary visiting professor, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Guangzhou University, Guangzhou, China, Dec 2011 to 2014
- The University of Auckland Excellence in Teaching Award 2007
- The Faculty of Science Dean’s Distinguish in Teaching Award, University of Auckland, 2007
- Gold Medal, 33rd International Exhibition of Invention, New Technology & Products, Geneva, Switzerland, 2005
- Gold Medal, University Invention & Research Competition, University Putra Malaysia, 2002; Bronze Medal, National Invention and Innovation Competition on Science & Technology, Ministry of Sciences, Technology and Environment of Malaysia, 2002
Areas of expertise
- Food Science and Processing
- Membership in professional body: Professional member, Institute of Food Technologist, US (IFT); Member of New Zealand Institute of Chemistry (NZIC); Committee Member of Fats and Oils Specialist Group of NZIC; America Oil Chemist Society (AOCS)
- Editorial board, LWT-Food Science & Technology (Impact factor 2.546), July 2013
- Reviewer for international journals including Food Chemistry, J. Agricultural & Food Chemistry, Critical review in Food Science & Nutrition, International of Food Science & Technology, Chem. Eng. Sciences
- Involved as organising committee, chairperson and International scientific advisory committee for conferences with the recent one being the CIGR International Symposium on Advance Food Processing and Quality (2013), and International Conference on Food Properties (2014).
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
As of 29 October 2020 there will be no automatic updating of 'selected publications and creative works' from Research Outputs. Please continue to keep your Research Outputs profile up to date.
- Chen, X., Fedrizzi, B., Kilmartin, P. A., & Quek, S. Y. (2021). Development of volatile organic compounds and their glycosylated precursors in tamarillo (Solanum betaceum Cav.) during fruit ripening: A prediction of biochemical pathway. Food Chemistry, 339.10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.128046
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Paul Kilmartin, Xiao Chen, Bruno Fedrizzi
- Zhang, C., Quek, S. Y., Fu, N., Su, Y., Kilmartin, P. A., & Chen, X. D. (2020). Storage stability and in vitro digestion of microencapsulated powder containing fermented noni juice and probiotics. FOOD BIOSCIENCE, 3710.1016/j.fbio.2020.100740
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Paul Kilmartin
- Zhang, C., Khoo, S. L. A., Swedlund, P., Ogawa, Y., Shan, Y., & Quek, S. Y. (2020). Fabrication of Spray-Dried Microcapsules Containing Noni Juice Using Blends of Maltodextrin and Gum Acacia: Physicochemical Properties of Powders and Bioaccessibility of Bioactives during In Vitro Digestion. Foods (Basel, Switzerland), 9 (9).10.3390/foods9091316
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Peter Swedlund
- Angane, M., Gupta, S., Fletcher, G. C., Summers, G., Hedderley, D., & Quek, S. Y. (2020). Effect of air blast freezing and frozen storage on Escherichia coli survival, n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid concentration and microstructure of Greenshell (TM) mussels. FOOD CONTROL, 11510.1016/j.foodcont.2020.107284
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Manasweeta Angane
- Tanambell, H., Bishop, K. S., & Quek, S. Y. (2020). Tangerine tomatoes: origin, biochemistry, potential health benefits and future prospects. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition, 1-12. 10.1080/10408398.2020.1775172
- Dong, X., Du, S., Deng, Q., Tang, H., Yang, C., Wei, F., ... Liu, L. (2020). Study on the antioxidant activity and emulsifying properties of flaxseed gum-whey protein isolate conjugates prepared by Maillard reaction. International journal of biological macromolecules, 153, 1157-1164. 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2019.10.245
- Raeisi, S., Ojagh, S. M., Pourashouri, P., Salaun, F., & Quek, S. Y. (2020). Shelf-life and quality of chicken nuggets fortified with encapsulated fish oil and garlic essential oil during refrigerated storage. JOURNAL OF FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY-MYSORE10.1007/s13197-020-04521-3
- Chen, Z. G., Yuan, X., Buchanan, P., & Quek, S. Y. (2020). Isolation and determination of lipophilic mycochemicals from a New Zealand edible native mushroom Hericium novae-zealandiae. JOURNAL OF FOOD COMPOSITION AND ANALYSIS, 8810.1016/j.jfca.2020.103456
- Media Contact
Primary office location
SCIENCE CENTRE 302 - Bldg 302
Level 8, Room 869
23 SYMONDS ST