Professor Siew-Young Quek
BSc (1st Class Hons), PhD
Professor Siew-Young Quek
Professor Siew-Young Quek
https://unidirectory.auckland.ac.nz/profile/sy-quekProfessor The University of Auckland: Chemical Sciences
Research | Current
- Bioactive and functional food research including extraction & separation of bioactives from waste by-product (e.g. antioxidants, functional lipid, collagen, gelatine, carotene and vitamin E), evaluating and developing suitable bioactive delivery systems (including microencapsulation) for bioactive components such as omega 3 fatty acids, phytosterols and vitamins.
- Functiona Food Product Development
Utilisation of functional food ingredients to formulate value-added and specialty food products; sensory evaluation for product acceptance; relation of food properties and sensory attributes.
- Lipid science and antioxidant including emulsion properties and stability, characterization of fats & oils, omega-3 fatty acids, lipid oxidation and antioxidant determination.
- Relation of food properties and processing including physicochemical, nutritional, sensory qualities and microbiological safety of foods and both thermal (spray drying, common heating treatment e.g., baking, pan fried) and non-thermal (e.g. high pressure processing) processing as well as post-harvest treatment.
- Food Waste Utilisation
Utilisation of food processing waste for water treatment; extraction of antioxidants from food waste.
- Biodegradable / Nanocomposites Food Packaging
Characterisation and application of biodegradable and nanocomposites materials as food packaging; shelf life of food, interactions between food components and nanocomposite food packaging materials.
Teaching | Current
- FOODSCI 303 Sensory Science (Course Coordinator)
- FOODSCI 304 Food Product Development (Course Coordinator)
- FOODSCI 709 Selected Topics in Food Science (Interaction in Food System Module Coordinator)
- FOODSCI 788 BSc(Hons) Dissertation in Food Science
- Supervised/co-supervised a total of 18 PhD, 46 MSc, 54 BSc (Hons), 13 PG Diploma and 12 internship/summer projects to completion since 2002. Currently supervise/co-supervise 10 PhD, 12 MSc and 2 BSC(Hons.) students.
- Fellow, The New Zealand Institute of Food Science and Technology, 2012 to present
- Shanghai Outstanding Overseas Scholar, 2014-15
- Visiting research fellow, Guelph Food Research Center, Canada, June-July, 2013
- Visiting scholar, Department of Food Science, University of Massachusetts, US, April-May 2013
- Visiting professor, College of Chemistry & Chemical Engineering, Xiamen University, China, Oct-Dec 2012
- Honourary visiting professor, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Guangzhou University, Guangzhou, China, Dec 2011 to 2014
- The University of Auckland Excellence in Teaching Award 2007
- The Faculty of Science Dean’s Distinguish in Teaching Award, University of Auckland, 2007
- Gold Medal, 33rd International Exhibition of Invention, New Technology & Products, Geneva, Switzerland, 2005
- Gold Medal, University Invention & Research Competition, University Putra Malaysia, 2002; Bronze Medal, National Invention and Innovation Competition on Science & Technology, Ministry of Sciences, Technology and Environment of Malaysia, 2002
Areas of expertise
- Food Science and Processing
- Membership in professional body: Professional member, Institute of Food Technologist, US (IFT); Member of New Zealand Institute of Chemistry (NZIC); Committee Member of Fats and Oils Specialist Group of NZIC; America Oil Chemist Society (AOCS)
- Editorial board, LWT-Food Science & Technology (Impact factor 2.546), July 2013
- Reviewer for international journals including Food Chemistry, J. Agricultural & Food Chemistry, Critical review in Food Science & Nutrition, International of Food Science & Technology, Chem. Eng. Sciences
- Involved as organising committee, chairperson and International scientific advisory committee for conferences with the recent one being the CIGR International Symposium on Advance Food Processing and Quality (2013), and International Conference on Food Properties (2014).
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Chen, Z., Yuan, X., Buchanan, P., & Quek, S. Y. (2020). Isolation and determination of lipophilic mycochemicals from a New Zealand edible native mushroom Hericium novae-zealandiae. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 88.10.1016/j.jfca.2020.103456
- Zhang, C., Chen, X., Zhang, J., Kilmartin, P. A., & Quek, S. Y. (2020). Exploring the effects of microencapsulation on odour retention of fermented noni juice. JOURNAL OF FOOD ENGINEERING, 27310.1016/j.jfoodeng.2019.109892
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Paul Kilmartin, Xiao Chen
- Chen, X., Quek, S. Y., Fedrizzi, B., & Kilmartin, P. A. (2020). Characterization of free and glycosidically bound volatile compounds from tamarillo (Solanum betaceum Cav.) with considerations on hydrolysis strategies and incubation time. LWT, 124.10.1016/j.lwt.2020.109178
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Xiao Chen, Bruno Fedrizzi, Paul Kilmartin
- Peng, Y., Bishop, K. S., Zhang, J., Chen, D., & Quek, S. Y. (2020). Characterization of phenolic compounds and aroma active compounds in feijoa juice from four New Zealand grown cultivars by LC-MS and HS-SPME-GC-O-MS. Food research international (Ottawa, Ont.), 12910.1016/j.foodres.2019.108873
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jingying Zhang
- Zhang, J., Zhang, C., Chen, X., & Quek, S. Y. (2020). Effect of spray drying on phenolic compounds of cranberry juice and their stability during storage. JOURNAL OF FOOD ENGINEERING, 26910.1016/j.jfoodeng.2019.109744
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Xiao Chen
- Zhang, C., Khoo, S. L. A., Chen, X. D., & Quek, S. Y. (2020). Microencapsulation of fermented noni juice via micro-fluidic-jet spray drying: Evaluation of powder properties and functionalities. POWDER TECHNOLOGY, 361, 995-1005. 10.1016/j.powtec.2019.10.098
- Jiao, Y., Quek, S. Y., Gu, M., Guo, Y., & Liu, Y. (2020). Polyphenols from thinned young kiwifruit as natural antioxidant: Protective effects on beef oxidation, physicochemical and sensory properties during storage. FOOD CONTROL, 10810.1016/j.foodcont.2019.106870
- Guo, J., Tang, W., Quek, S. Y., Liu, Z., Lu, S., & Tu, K. (2020). Evaluation of structural and physicochemical properties of octenyl succinic anhydride modified sweet potato starch with different degrees of substitution. JOURNAL OF FOOD SCIENCE, 85 (3), 666-672. 10.1111/1750-3841.15031