Dr Terryann Clark
RCpN, MPh, PhD
Dr Terryann Clark (Ngapuhi) is a registered comprehensive nurse with extensive experience in youth health, community health, sexual health, health promotion, youth mental health and Maori health. She works part time as a senior lecturer. She is a founding member of the Adolescent Health Research Group (AHRG) and is currently the principal investigator of the Youth'12 national youth health and wellbeing survey in secondary schools throughout New Zealand www.youthresearch.auckland.ac.nz
- RCpN (Nursing) Manukau Institute of Technology
- MPH (Public Health) University of Auckland
- PhD (Nursing) University of Minnesota, USA
- Fellowship in Adolescent Health
Research | Current
- 2011-2013: Youth'12 national youth health and wellbeing survey, Ministries of Youth Development, Social Development, Health, Education, Justice, Department of Labour, Families Commission and ALAC. Principal Investigator ($1.6 million).
- 2008-2010: Identifying health needs and services for youth in alternative education, Faculty Research Development Fund, University of Auckland. Principal Investigator ($144,306).
- 2008-2008: School of Population Health PBRF funding to develop research regarding the role of family in supporting youth. Principal Investigator ($15,000).
- 2005-2009: Youth2006: A national survey of the health and well-being of New Zealand adolescents, Health Research Council ($2.3 million).
- 2004-present: Enacted stigma, gender and risk behaviours of school youth, US National Institute on Drug Abuse (US$256,892).
- 1997-present: A computer-assisted self-administered national adolescent health survey. Health Research Council of New Zealand Grant. Co-investigator with the Adolescent Health Research Group ($833,078).
Teaching | Current
- Nursing 782 - Research Methods in Nursing and Health
Masters and PhD supervision
- 2008: Youth Sector People's Choice Award for effective contribution to young people, Counties Manukau District Health Board Special Award for Achievement in Nursing
- 2007-2009: Johns Hopkins School of Public Health Training Scholarship for Social Determinants of Health in Indigenous Populations (3 year training program)
- 2006: University of Minnesota Graduate School PhD Dissertation Fellowship
- 2005: MacMillan Healthy Youth Development Prevention Research Centre Fellowship
- 2004: Mary Hensler Spurzem Scholarship
- 2003: New Zealand Health Research Council Mäori PhD Scholarship
- 2003: Health Science Fest. 2nd Place winner for oral presentation
- 2002: Nestle 1 year Post Graduate Specialist Training Scholarship
- 2002: New Zealand Nurses Organisation Research Section: Award for best overall research presentation
- 1999: South Auckland Health Accrued Education Fund Award for ongoing education; Excellence in Practice Award- South Auckland Health Nursing and Midwifery Scholarship
- Master's Supervision
- PhD supervision
Areas of expertise
Youth sexual and reproductive health
Youth mental health
- Child and Youth Mortality Review Committee http://www.hqsc.govt.nz/our-programmes/mrc/cymrc/
- Adolescent Health Research Group www.youthresearch.auckland.ac.nz
- Counties Manukau District Health Board Youth Expert Advisory Group
- Society for Youth Health Professionals Aotearoa New Zealand (SYPHANZ) http://www.syhpanz.co.nz/
- Arts Access Aotearoa http://artsaccess.org.nz/
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Fleming, T. M., Clark, T., Denny, S., Bullen, P. L., Crengle, S., Peiris-John, R., ... Lucassen, M. F. G. (2014). Stability and change in the mental health of New Zealand secondary school students 2007-2012: Results from the national adolescent health surveys. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry10.1177/0004867413514489
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Pat Bullen, Mathijs Lucassen, Theresa Fleming, Simon Denny, Janie Sheridan, Roshini Peiris-John
- Clark, T. C., Johnson, E. A., Kekus, M., Newman, J., Patel, P. S., Fleming, T., & Robinson, E. (2014). Facilitating access to effective and appropriate care for youth with mild to moderate mental health concerns in New Zealand. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing, 27 (4), 190-200. 10.1111/jcap.12095
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Theresa Fleming
- Clark, T. C., Crengle, S., Sheridan, J. L., Rowe, D., & Robinson, E. (2014). Factors associated with consistent contraception and condom use among Māori secondary school students in New Zealand. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 50 (4), 258-265. 10.1111/jpc.12450
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Janie Sheridan
- Clark, T., Lucassen, M. F. G., Bullen, P. L., Denny, S., Flemming, T. M., Robinson, E. M., & Rossen, F. (2014). The Health and Well-Being of Transgender High School Students: Results From the New Zealand Adolescent Health Survey (Youth'12). Journal of Adolescent Health, 55 (1), 93-99. 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2013.11.008
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Pat Bullen, Mathijs Lucassen, Simon Denny, Theresa Fleming
- Clark, T. C., Fleming, T., Bullen, P., Crengle, S., Denny, S., Dyson, B., ... Sheridan, J. (2013). Health and well-being of secondary school students in New Zealand: Trends between 2001, 2007 and 2012. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 49 (11), 925-934. 10.1111/jpc.12427
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Simon Denny, Theresa Fleming, Pat Bullen, Jennifer Utter, Janie Sheridan, Roshini Peiris-John, Sonia Lewycka, Ben Dyson
- Clark, T. C., Robinson, E., Crengle, S., Sheridan, J. L., Jackson, N., & Ameratunga, S. (2013). Binge drinking among Māori secondary school students in New Zealand: associations with source, exposure and perceptions of alcohol use. New Zealand Medical Journal, 126 (1370), 70-84. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Janie Sheridan, Shanthi Ameratunga
- Saewyc, E., Clark, T. C., Barney, L., Brunanski, D., & Homma, Y. (2013). Enacted stigma and HIV risk behaviors among sexual minority Indigenous youth in Canada, New Zealand, and the United States. Pimatisiwin, 11 (3), 411-420. Related URL.
- Crengle, S., Robinson, E., Ameratunga, S., Clark, T., & Raphael, D. (2012). Ethnic discrimination prevalence and associations with health outcomes: Data from a nationally representative cross-sectional survey of secondary school students in New Zealand. BMC Public Health, 12 (1).10.1186/1471-2458-12-45
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Shanthi Ameratunga, Deborah Raphael
SCHOOL OF NURSING
Building 505, Level 2, 2.D101
85 Park Road, Grafton
Private Bag 92019
Victoria Street West
Mobile phone: 021 294 8354
Tuesday to Thursday 8-3pm
M&HS BUILDING 505 - Bldg 505
Level D, Room D02
85 PARK RD