Mr Tong Zhu
BCom in operational research and BA(Hons) in statistics
Tong Zhu obtained BCom in operational research and BA(Hons) in statistics from the University of Auckland. He joined Woolf Fisher Research Centre in 2009 and is highly skilled in advanced statistical modelling and data visualisation. He has contributed to a diverse range of projects and researches including: Manaiakalani Evaluation, Manaiakalani Whanau Capability Building and Classroom Instruction, TLRI Porous Learning, and Enhancement of Tertiary Education Strategy Priority Frameworks.
Research | Current
Tong has worked in probability theory, statistical computing, and optimisation of stochastic networks with application to telecommunicating networks. He is studying PhD under the supervision of Mei Kuin Lai and Stuart McNaughton.
His current research interests include the analysis of hierarchical structured data (with particular application to New Zealand primary and secondary student achievement data), categorical data analysis, applied statistics and data visualisation.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Gibb, S., Shackleton, N., Audas, R., Taylor, B., Swinburn, B., Zhu, T., ... Milne, B. (2019). Child obesity prevalence across communities in New Zealand: 2010-2016. Australian and New Zealand journal of public health, 43 (2), 176-181. 10.1111/1753-6405.12881
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nichola Shackleton, Wayne Cutfield, Barry Milne, Jose Derraik
- Jesson, R., McNaughton, S., Wilson, A., Zhu, T., & Cockle, V. (2018). Improving Achievement Using Digital Pedagogy: Impact of a Research Practice Partnership in New Zealand. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 50 (3), 183-199. 10.1080/15391523.2018.1436012
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rebecca Jesson, Stuart McNaughton, Aaron Wilson
- Jesson, R., McNaughton, S., Rosedale, N., Zhu, T., & Cockle, V. (2018). A mixed-methods study to identify effective practices in the teaching of writing in a digital learning environment in low income schools. Computers and Education, 119, 14-30. 10.1016/j.compedu.2017.12.005
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Naomi Rosedale, Rebecca Jesson, Stuart McNaughton
- Robinson, V., Bendikson, L., McNaughton, S., Wilson, A., & Zhu, T. (2017). Joining the dots: The challenge of creating coherent school improvement. Teachers College Record, 119 (8), 1-44.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Aaron Wilson, Viviane Robinson, Stuart McNaughton
- Wilson, A., McNaughton, S., & Zhu, T. (2017). Subject area literacy instruction in low SES secondary schools in New Zealand. Australian Journal of Language and Literacy, 40 (1), 72-85.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Aaron Wilson, Stuart McNaughton
- Shackleton, N., Milne, B. J., Audas, R., Derraik, J. G. B., Zhu, T., Taylor, R. W., ... Taylor, B. (2017). Improving rates of overweight, obesity and extreme obesity in New Zealand 4-year-old children in 2010-2016. Pediatric Obesity10.1111/ijpo.12260
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Wayne Cutfield, Nichola Shackleton, Barry Milne, Jose Derraik, Susan Morton
- Milne, B., Chang, K., Shackleton, N., Zhu, T., Liu, C., von Randow, M., ... Davis, P. (2017). Knowledge Lab: Knowledge Laboratory of the early life-course [Computer software].
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Barry Milne, Kevin Chang, Nichola Shackleton, Martin von Randow, Peter Davis
- Lai, M. K., Mcnaughton, S., & Zhu, T. (2016). The relationship between pedagogical content knowledge and reading achievement. Paper presented at 2016 American Educational research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting: Public Scholarship to Educate Diverse Democracies, Washington, D.C, USA. 8 April - 12 April 2016.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Stuart McNaughton, Mei Kuin Lai