Dr Toan Pham
Toan completed a PhD in Physiology at the University of Auckland in 2018. His PhD research was about cardiac mechanoenergetics in health and right-heart failure.
Research | Current
His primary research interest is to understand the mechanics and energetics of the heart, particularly focussing in myocardial energy efficiency at the tissue level (trabeculae) and subcellular (mitochondria) level in both health and disease.
He is also interested in understanding how mitochondrial‑targeted antioxidant supplements affect skeletal muscle mitochondrial function in healthy aged male.
Areas of expertise
- Cardiac mechanics and energetics - ABI work-loop calorimetry
- Mitochondrial function - high-resolution oxygraph respirometer + fluorimeters (ATP, ROS, mito MP)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Pham, T., Zgierski-Johnston, C. M., Tran, K., Taberner, A. J., Loiselle, D. S., & Han, J.-C. (2019). Energy expenditure for isometric contractions of right and left ventricular trabeculae over a wide range of frequencies at body temperature. Scientific reports, 9 (1)10.1038/s41598-019-45273-1
Other University of Auckland co-authors: June-Chiew Han, Kenneth Tran, Denis Loiselle, Andrew Taberner
- Tomalka, A., Röhrle O, Han, J.-C., Pham, T., Taberner, A. J., & Siebert, T. (2019). Extensive eccentric contractions in intact cardiac trabeculae: revealing compelling differences in contractile behaviour compared to skeletal muscles. Proceedings. Biological sciences, 286 (1903)10.1098/rspb.2019.0719
Other University of Auckland co-authors: June-Chiew Han, Andrew Taberner
- Taberner, A., Nielsen, P., Johnston, C., Anderson, A., Cheuk, M., Garrett, A., ... Ruddy, B. (2019). A Dynamometer for Nature's Engines. IEEE INSTRUMENTATION & MEASUREMENT MAGAZINE, 22 (2), 10-16. 10.1109/MIM.2019.8674628
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Denis Loiselle, Andrew Taberner, Poul Nielsen, Kenneth Tran, Bryan Ruddy, Amir Haji Rassouliha, June-Chiew Han, Jarrah Dowrick
- Han, J.-C., Pham, T., Taberner, A. J., Loiselle, D. S., & Tran, K. (2019). Solving a century-old conundrum underlying cardiac force-length relations. American journal of physiology. Heart and circulatory physiology, 316 (4), H781-H793. 10.1152/ajpheart.00763.2018
Other University of Auckland co-authors: June-Chiew Han, Andrew Taberner, Denis Loiselle, Kenneth Tran
- Taberner, A. J., Zgierski-Johnston, C. M., Pham, T., Han, J.-C., Uddin, R., Loiselle, D. S., ... Nielsen, P. M. F. (2018). A Flowthrough Infusion Calorimeter for Measuring Muscle Energetics: Design and Performance. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 67 (7), 1690-1699. 10.1109/TIM.2018.2800838
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Denis Loiselle, Andrew Taberner, June-Chiew Han, Bryan Ruddy, Poul Nielsen
- Pham, T., Nisbet, L., Taberner, A., Loiselle, D., & Han, J.-C. (2018). Pulmonary arterial hypertension reduces energy efficiency of right, but not left, rat ventricular trabeculae. The Journal of physiology, 596 (7), 1153-1166. 10.1113/jp275578
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Taberner, Denis Loiselle, June-Chiew Han
- Pham, T. H. (2018). Cardiac mechanoenergetics in health and in right-ventricular failure The University of Auckland. ResearchSpace@Auckland.
- Pham, T., Han, J.-C., Taberner, A., & Loiselle, D. (2017). Do right-ventricular trabeculae gain energetic advantage from having a greater velocity of shortening?. The Journal of Physiology, 595 (20), 6477-6488. 10.1113/JP274837
Other University of Auckland co-authors: June-Chiew Han, Denis Loiselle, Andrew Taberner
Auckland Bioengineering Institute
Ground floor, 70 Symonds St
Primary office location
M&HS BUILDING 504 - Bldg 504
Level 2, Room 201
85 PARK RD