Associate Professor Vivienne Elizabeth
BA (Hons) PhD Cant. , BA Otago
Research | Current
- Post-separation families
- Custody disputes
- Intimate partner violence and coercive control
- Partnership formalisation
- Gendered identities
- Qualitative research.
I am currently researching mothers’ experiences of losing care time with their children following parental separation. This research builds on earlier research on custody disputes and their intersection with intimate partner violence and coercive control. I have also recently undertaken research that examines couples' transitions from informal to formal unions such as marriages and civil unions.
Teaching | Current
Available in 2018
SOCIOL 728 Family, Gender and the State
Not offered in 2018
SOCIOL 214 Sociology of Gender
SOCIOL 222 Families, Labour and Love
SOCIOL 322 Special Topic: A Sociology of Relational Life
- Richey Wyver. “More beautiful than something we could create ourselves”: Exploring Swedish transnational/-racial adoption desire. PhD in progress.
- Moeata Keil. Pacific parents’ doing family after separation. PhD in progress
- Hubert Asiedu. Gendered devotions to work and family: Implications for work/family conflict among Ghanaian professionals. PhD in progress.
- George Parker. Reshaping reproduction: Experiencing reproductive health care in the context of obesity risk management. PhD in progress.
- Christina Vogels. Adolescents and their conceptualisation of adolescent intimate partner abuse. Awarded 2017.
- Stephen McTaggart. Male/Female Partnerships in Cohabitation and Marriage: Changing Trends in New Zealand. Awarded 2015.
- Tulia Thompson. The negotiation of sexual and cultural identities among Pacific peoples who have same-sex relationships. Awarded 2014.
- Meredith Bean. The internet industry of love: Online date in New Zealand and users perceived effects on relationships and self. Awarded 2012
- Dominc Andrae. Submerged: An exploration of how a marginalised urban community interacts with aspects of the New Zealand judicial system. Awarded 2011.
- Johanna Schmidt. Migrating genders: Westernisation and Samoan fa’afafine. Awarded 2005.
Chris McCormick. Where to Turn for Support? The Impact of Online Romance Fraud on Relationships Between Victims and Kin. MA thesis in progress
Kate Thompson. Too public to be a victim? A study of celebrities as victims of image based sexual abuse. MA thesis in progress
- Ashlee-Ann Sneller. Online portrayals of female revenge porn survivors.
- Moeata Keil. “Family”, family obligations and money: Pacific mothers’ discussions of child support. MA thesis. Awarded 2015
- Nicola Harrison. So, Who Am I Now? How does the discovery of a family reproductive secret impact understanding of personal identity? MA thesis. Awarded 2014
- Hannah Rossiter. Girl in the Kinks shirt: Belonging and identity for butch transwomen in the trans community. MA dissertation. Awarded 2014
- Jane Ferguson. The dream is over: The moral regulation of Single Mothers in New Zealand. MA thesis. Awarded 2015
- Maddie Moore. The Unspeakability of problems with gut functions: The taboo of talking about poop. MA thesis. Awarded 2013
- Rachel Stiff. Scripting femininity through netball. MA thesis. Awarded 2011.
- Helen Cox. Playing the game: Careerism in academe. MA thesis. Awarded 2010.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Elizabeth, V. (2017). Custody stalking: A mechanism of coercively controlling mothers following separation. Feminist legal studies, 25 (2), 185-201. 10.1007/s10691-017-9349-9
- Bell, S. A., Elizabeth, V., McIntosh, T., & Wynyard, M. (Eds.) (2017). A Land of Milk & Honey? Making Sense of Aotearoa New Zealand. Auckland, New Zealand: Auckland University Press. Pages: 336.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Avril Bell, Tracey McIntosh
- Elizabeth, V. (2016). “I’d just lose it if there was any more stress in my life”: Separated fathers, fathers’ rights and the news media. International Journal for Crime, Justice and Social Democracy, 5 (2), 107-120. 10.5204/ijcjsd.v5i2.312
- Elizabeth, V. B. (2016). Child custody. In C. Shehan (Ed.) The Wiley Blackwell encyclopedia of family studies (pp. 1-6). Chichester, UK: Wiley Blackwell. 10.1002/9781119085621.wbefs107
- Elizabeth, V. (2016). Dear Laurel. In J. White (Ed.) Permission: The International Interdisciplinary Impact of Laurel Richardson's Work (pp. 130-131). Rotterdam, Netherlands: Sense Publishers.
- Elizabeth, V. B. (2016). Custody disputes. In C. Shehan (Ed.) The Wiley Blackwell encyclopedia of family studies (pp. 1-5). Chichester, UK: Wiley Blackwell. 10.1002/9781119085621.wbefs106
- Elizabeth, V. B. (2015). Making the links: Vengeful postseparation attacks on mothers and children. Paper presented at The Annual TASA Conference, Cairns, Queensland, Australia. 23 November - 26 November 2015. Related URL.
- Elizabeth, V. (2015). Sustaining corrosive parental relationships through paper abuse. Paper presented at School of Social Sciences Seminar, Monash University, Monash University, Melbourne. 30 April - 30 April 2015. Related URL.