Dr Vijayaraghavan Rajagopal
After Vijay completed his undergraduate degree Engineering Science in 2003, he was awarded a Foundation for Research, Science and Technology (FoRST) Top Achiever Doctoral Scholarship. Vijay defended his PhD thesis at the Auckland Bioengineering Institute in 2007 and went on to establish the Biomechanics for Breast Imaging group with his former supervisors Associate Professor Martyn Nash and Associate Professor Poul Nielsen.
Vijay was a Research Fellow at the Auckland Bioengineering Institute until 2012, when he moved to a Research Scientist position at the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology.
In 2014, he joined the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Melbourne as a Senior Lecturer.
Vijay continues to have close ties with the ABI, recognised by his appointment as an Honorary Research Fellow.
Read Vijay’s academic CV and details of his publications (www.academia.edu)
Research | Current
Current research projects continue the threads he began in Auckland and Singapore – developing realistic 3D models to examine cardiac cell structure-function relationships and cancer cell mechanics and motility.
For more information, go to http://www.findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/display/person608082.
Following is a list of students Vijay supervised while at the ABI.
- Vipin Wadhwa: "Biomechanical Modelling of Skin Cells"
- Prasad Babarenda Gamage: "Modelling and identifying the mechanical properties of skin and underlying tissues"
- Angela Wing Chung Lee: "Breast Image Registration using Biomechanics"
- Evan Blumgart: "Spatial and Functional Modelling of Cardiac ECC Proteins"
- Elizabeth Theakston: "Stochastic Modelling of Cardiac Cell Structure"
Fourth year project students
- 2010 Mihailo Azhar, "Principal Component Analysis of the Breast"
- 2010 Candice Zhou, "Statistical Shape Analysis of Cardiac Cell Sarcolemma"
- 2009 Elizabeth Theakston, "The Heart under the Mathematical Microscope"
- 2009 Xiani Yan: "Modelling Breast Augmentation"
- 2008 Prasad Babarenda Gamage: "Mechanics of the Heterogeneous Breast"
- 2007 Natasha Ahuja: "Imaging and Modelling of the Unloaded Breast"
- 2006 Angela Lee: "Unloaded Breast Geometry"
- Nov 2009 – Feb 2010 Sherry Hsu: "Myofibril and Mitochondrial Shape Analysis"
- Nov 2009 – Feb 2010 Elizabeth Theakston: "Spatial Statistical Analysis of the Spatial Distribution of Myofibrils"
- Nov 2008 – Feb 2009 Xiani Yan: "Segmentation of Breast Tissue Boundaries from MRI"
- Nov 2008 – Feb 2009 Mihailo Azhar: "Evaluation of a Biomechanical Breast Model"
- Nov 2008 – Feb 2009 Jonothan Ng: "Development of a User Interface for Breast Image Analysis"
- Nov 2008 – Feb 2009 Thiranja Babarenda Gamage: "Mechanics of the Heterogeneous Breast"
- Nov 2006 – Feb 2007 Xiao Bo Liu: "Mechanics of Heterogeneous Soft Materials"
- Nov 2005 – Feb 2006 Xiao Bo Liu: "Breast Biomechanics"
- Dec 2003 – Feb 2004 Kenneth Tran: "A Semi-Automatic Finite Element Model of the Human Breast"
2003 - Vijay was awarded a Foundation for Research, Science and Technology Top Achiever Doctoral Scholarship.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Zmurchok, C., Collette, J., Rajagopal, V., & Holmes, W. R. (2020). Membrane tension can enhance adaptation to maintain polarity of migrating cells. 10.1101/2020.04.01.020289
- Khadangi, A., Boudier, T., & Rajagopal, V. (2020). EM-net: Deep learning for electron microscopy image segmentation. 10.1101/2020.02.03.933127
- Wang, Z. J., Wang, V. Y., Babarenda Gamage, T. P., Rajagopal, V., Cao, J. J., Nielsen, P. M. F., ... Nash, M. P. (2020). Efficient estimation of load-free left ventricular geometry and passive myocardial properties using principal component analysis. International journal for numerical methods in biomedical engineering10.1002/cnm.3313
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Christopher Bradley, Vicky Wang, Thiranja Babarenda Gamage, Poul Nielsen, Alistair Young, Martyn Nash
- Khadangi, A., Hanssen, E., & Rajagopal, V. (2019). Automated segmentation of cardiomyocyte Z-disks from high-throughput scanning electron microscopy data. BMC medical informatics and decision making, 19 (Suppl 6)10.1186/s12911-019-0962-1
- Ladd, D., Tilunaite, A., Roderick, H. L., Soeller, C., Crampin, E. J., & Rajagopal, V. (2019). Assessing Cardiomyocyte Excitation-Contraction Coupling Site Detection From Live Cell Imaging Using a Structurally-Realistic Computational Model of Calcium Release. FRONTIERS IN PHYSIOLOGY, 1010.3389/fphys.2019.01263
- Liu, B., Blanch, A. J., Namvar, A., Carmo, O., Tiash, S., Andrew, D., ... Tilley, L. (2019). Multimodal analysis of Plasmodium knowlesi-infected erythrocytes reveals large invaginations, swelling of the host cell, and rheological defects. Cellular microbiology, 21 (5)10.1111/cmi.13005
- Wo, N., Rajagopal, V., Cheung, M. M. H., Smolich, J. J., & Mynard, J. P. (2019). Assessment of single beat end-systolic elastance methods for quantifying ventricular contractility. Heart and vessels, 34 (4), 716-723. 10.1007/s00380-018-1303-5
- Ladd, D., Tilunaite, A., Soeller, C., Roderick, L., Crampin, E., & Rajagopal, V. (2019). Detecting RyR clusters with CaCLEAN: influence of spatial distribution and structural heterogeneity. 10.1101/549683