Dr Vanessa Selak
MBChB, MPH (Hons), PhD, FNZCPHM
Vanessa is a Senior Lecturer in the Section of Epidemiology & Biostatistics at the School of Population Health, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland. She is medically trained, has a PhD in Epidemiology, is a fellow of the New Zealand College of Public Health Medicine and has 20 years' health sector experience.
Research | Current
Vanessa's research is focused on using routinely collected electronic health data to support improvements in the quality and equity of healthcare delivery.
Teaching | Current
Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours)
POPLHLTH 724 - Quality in Health Care
HLTHINFO 725 - The NZ Health Data Landscape
MBChB - year 5 (quality improvement module)
MBChB - year 6 (quality imrpovement project in O&G)
2015 Nominated for Vice-Chancellor's Prize for the Best Doctoral Thesis
2010 National Heart Foundation Research Fellow
2004 John McLeod Prize in Public Health
Areas of expertise
Health data analytics
Quality in health care
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Selak, V., Poppe, K., Grey, C., Mehta, S., Winter-Smith, J., Jackson, R., ... Riddell, T. (2020). Ethnic differences in cardiovascular risk profiles among 475,241 adults in primary care in Aotearoa, New Zealand. The New Zealand medical journal, 133 (1521), 14-27.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Matire Harwood, Katrina Poppe, Suneela Mehta, Daniel Exeter
- Selak, V., Rahiri, J.-L., Jackson, R., & Harwood, M. (2020). Acknowledging and acting on racism in the health sector in Aotearoa New Zealand. The New Zealand medical journal, 133 (1521), 7-13.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Matire Harwood, Rod Jackson, Jamie-Lee Rahiri
- Wallis, K. A., Wells, S., Selak, V., & Poppe, K. (2020). Long-term follow up of older people on diabetes medications: observational study using linked health databases. Australian journal of primary health, 26 (4), 306-312. 10.1071/py19246
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Susan Wells, Katharine Wallis, Katrina Poppe
- Wang, N., Salam, A., Webster, R., de Silva, A., Guggilla, R., Stepien, S., ... Maulik, P. K. (2020). Association of Low-Dose Triple Combination Therapy With Therapeutic Inertia and Prescribing Patterns in Patients With Hypertension: A Secondary Analysis of the TRIUMPH Trial. JAMA cardiology10.1001/jamacardio.2020.2739
- Peiris-John, R., Selak, V., Robb, G., Kool, B., Wells, S., Sadler, L., & Wise, M. R. (2020). The State of Quality Improvement Teaching in Medical Schools: A Systematic Review. Journal of surgical education, 77 (4), 889-904. 10.1016/j.jsurg.2020.01.003
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lynn Sadler, Roshini Peiris-John, Susan Wells, Michelle Wise
- Wells, S., Pylypchuk, R., Mehta, S., Kerr, A., Selak, V., Poppe, K., ... Jackson, R. (2020). Performance of CVD risk equations for older patients assessed in general practice: a cohort study. New Zealand Medical Journal, 133 (1517), 32-55. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Susan Wells, Suneela Mehta, Katrina Poppe, Rod Jackson
- Selak, T., & Selak, V. (2020). Communicating risks of obesity before anaesthesia from the patient's perspective: informed consent or fat-shaming?. Anaesthesia10.1111/anae.15126
- Chan, D., Ghazali, S., Selak, V., Lee, M., Scott, T., & Kerr, A. (2020). What is the Optimal Rate of Invasive Coronary Angiography After Acute Coronary Syndrome? (ANZACS-QI 22). Heart, lung & circulation, 29 (2), 262-271. 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.01.006