Dr Vicky Wang
Vicky Wang graduated from the University of Auckland with a Bachelor of Engineering (specialising in Biomedical Engineering) in 2006, and commenced working towards a doctorate at the Auckland Bioengineering Institute in 2007 under the supervision of Professors Martyn Nash and Alistair Young.
Her doctoral thesis focused on constructing a mathematical model of the heart - especially the left ventricle (LV) - from information obtained from two cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) techniques: tagged MRI and diffusion tensor MRI. This biophysical model can be used to simulate ventricular mechanics and consequently estimate myocardial mechanical properties.
Models between healthy and diseased cases (i.e. heart failure or diabetes) will allow more insights into the underlying mechanisms of these diseases. This framework can also provide information on regional distribution of stress and strain as well as local energy consumption. Works related to this project have been published in LNCS MICCAI 2008 and Medical Image Analysis.
On completion of her PhD, Vicky became a Research Fellow.
Research | Current
Vicky Wang's post-doctoral research focuses primarily on developing integrated physiological models of the heart that can provide insight into cardiac mechanics on an individualised basis. This type of research aims to improve our understanding of the underlying basis for mechanisms that affect cardiac muscle stiffness, and to help with clinical diagnosis for patients with heart failure.
Teaching | Current
BIOMENG 321 Continuum Mechanics
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Wilson, A. J., Sands, G. B., Wang, V. Y., Hasaballa, A., Pontre, B., Young, A. A., ... LeGrice, I. J. (2020). Myocardial Laminar Organization Is Retained in Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitor Treated SHRs. EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS10.1007/s11340-020-00622-4
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Gregory Sands, Ian LeGrice, Alistair Young, Martyn Nash
- Lluch, E., Camara, O., Doste, R., Bijnens, B., De Craene, M., Sermesant, M., ... Morales, H. G. (2020). Calibration of a fully coupled electromechanical meshless computational model of the heart with experimental data. COMPUTER METHODS IN APPLIED MECHANICS AND ENGINEERING, 36410.1016/j.cma.2020.112869
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Martyn Nash
- Wang, Z. J., Wang, V. Y., Babarenda Gamage, T. P., Rajagopal, V., Cao, J. J., Nielsen, P. M. F., ... Nash, M. P. (2020). Efficient estimation of load-free left ventricular geometry and passive myocardial properties using principal component analysis. International journal for numerical methods in biomedical engineering10.1002/cnm.3313
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Vijayaraghavan Rajagopal, Christopher Bradley, Thiranja Babarenda Gamage, Poul Nielsen, Alistair Young, Martyn Nash
- van Hal, V. H. J., Zhao, D., Gilbert, K., Gamage, T. P. B., Mauger, C., Doughty, R. N., ... Camara, O. (2020). Comparison of 2D Echocardiography and Cardiac Cine MRI in the Assessment of Regional Left Ventricular Wall Thickness. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). 10.1007/978-3-030-39074-7_6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Thiranja Babarenda Gamage, Jichao Zhao, Alistair Young, Martyn Nash, Rob Doughty, Malcolm Legget, Debbie Zhao
- Hasaballa, A. I., Wang, V. Y., Sands, G. B., Wilson, A. J., Young, A. A., LeGrice, I. J., & Nash, M. P. (2019). Microstructurally Motivated Constitutive Modeling of Heart Failure Mechanics. Biophysical journal, 117 (12), 2273-2286. 10.1016/j.bpj.2019.09.038
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Gregory Sands, Alistair Young, Ian LeGrice, Martyn Nash
- Zhao, D., Gilbert, K., McDougal, C. R., Wang, V. Y., Houle, H., Doughty, R., ... Nash, M. P. (2019). Personalised shape models of the left ventricle from 3D echocardiography: an initial comparison to cardiac magnetic resonance imaging. Paper presented at Congress of the European-Society-of-Cardiology (ESC) / World Congress of Cardiology, Paris, FRANCE. 31 August - 4 September 2019. EUROPEAN HEART JOURNAL. (pp. 1).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alistair Young, Rob Doughty, Martyn Nash
- Zhang, Y., Wang, V. Y., Morgan, A. E., Kim, J., Handschumacher, M. D., Moskowitz, C. S., ... Weinsaft, J. W. (2019). Mechanical effects of MitraClip on leaflet stress and myocardial strain in functional mitral regurgitation - A finite element modeling study. PloS one, 14 (10)10.1371/journal.pone.0223472
- Liu, X., Du, Z., Han, T., Ghista, D. N., Lin, S., Wang, V., ... Pan, Z. (2019). Quantitative analysis of blood flow in cerebral venous sinus with stenosis by patient-specific CFD modeling. IEEE Access, 7, 3848-3854. 10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2888490