Dr Vicky Wang
Vicky Wang graduated from the University of Auckland with a Bachelor of Engineering (specialising in Biomedical Engineering) in 2006, and commenced working towards a doctorate at the Auckland Bioengineering Institute in 2007 under the supervision of Professors Martyn Nash and Alistair Young.
Her doctoral thesis focused on constructing a mathematical model of the heart - especially the left ventricle (LV) - from information obtained from two cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) techniques: tagged MRI and diffusion tensor MRI. This biophysical model can be used to simulate ventricular mechanics and consequently estimate myocardial mechanical properties.
Models between healthy and diseased cases (i.e. heart failure or diabetes) will allow more insights into the underlying mechanisms of these diseases. This framework can also provide information on regional distribution of stress and strain as well as local energy consumption. Works related to this project have been published in LNCS MICCAI 2008 and Medical Image Analysis.
On completion of her PhD, Vicky became a Research Fellow.
Research | Current
Vicky Wang's post-doctoral research focuses primarily on developing integrated physiological models of the heart that can provide insight into cardiac mechanics on an individualised basis. This type of research aims to improve our understanding of the underlying basis for mechanisms that affect cardiac muscle stiffness, and to help with clinical diagnosis for patients with heart failure.
Teaching | Current
BIOMENG 321 Continuum Mechanics
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Wang, V. Y., Hussan, J. R., Yousefi, H., Bradley, C. P., Hunter, P. J., & Nash, M. P. (2017). Modelling Cardiac Tissue Growth and Remodelling. Journal of Elasticity, 1-23. 10.1007/s10659-017-9640-7
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jagir Hussan, Peter Hunter, Martyn Nash
- Wilson, A. J., Wang, V. Y., Sands, G. B., Young, A. A., Nash, M. P., & LeGrice, I. J. (2017). Increased cardiac work provides a link between systemic hypertension and heart failure. Physiological reports, 5 (1).10.14814/phy2.13104
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Gregory Sands, Alistair Young, Martyn Nash, Ian LeGrice
- Chabiniok, R., Wang, V. Y., Hadjicharalambous, M., Asner, L., Lee, J., Sermesant, M., ... Nash, M. P. (2016). Multiphysics and multiscale modelling, data-model fusion and integration of organ physiology in the clinic: ventricular cardiac mechanics. Interface focus, 6 (2)10.1098/rsfs.2015.0083
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alistair Young, Martyn Nash
- Wang, V., Casta, C., Zhu, Y.-M., Cowan, B., Croisille, P., Young, A., ... Nash, M. (2016). Image-based investigation of human in vivo myofibre strain. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 1-1. 10.1109/TMI.2016.2580573
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alistair Young, Brett Cowan, Martyn Nash
- Wang, V. Y., Niestrawska, J. A., Wilson, A. J., Sands, G. B., Young, A. A., LeGrice, I. J., & Nash, M. P. (2016). Image-driven constitutive modeling of myocardial fibrosis. International Journal for Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, 17 (3), 211-221. 10.1080/15502287.2015.1082675
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ian LeGrice, Alistair Young, Martyn Nash, Gregory Sands
- Wang, Z., Wang, V. Y., Bradley, C. P., Nash, M. P., Young, A., & Cao, J. J. (2016). Quantifying passive myocardial stiffness and wall stress in heart failure patients using personalized ventricular mechanics. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. 10.1186/1532-429X-18-S1-O17
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Christopher Bradley, Jenny Wang, Martyn Nash, Alistair Young
- Freytag, B., Wang, V. Y., Christie, G. R., Wilson, A. J., Sands, G. B., Legrice, I. J., ... Nash, M. P. (2016). Parameterisation of multi-directional diffusion weighted magnetic resonance images of the heart. Statistical Atlases and Computational Models of the Heart. Imaging and Modelling Challenges. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 9534, 60-68. Munich: Springer Verlag. 10.1007/978-3-319-28712-6_7
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Richard Christie, Alistair Young, Gregory Sands, Martyn Nash, Ian LeGrice, Bianca Freytag
- Wang, V. Y., Nielsen, P. M. F., & Nash, M. P. (2015). Image-Based Predictive Modeling of Heart Mechanics. Annual review of biomedical engineering, 17, 351-383. 10.1146/annurev-bioeng-071114-040609
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Martyn Nash, Poul Nielsen