Associate Professor Waleed H Abdulla
BSc, MSc, PhD
Waleed H. Abdulla holds a PhD Degree from the University of Otago, New Zealand. He is an Associate Professor in the University of Auckland. He was the Vice President- Member Relations and Development (APSIPA) for two terms. He has been a Visiting Researcher/Collaborator with Tsinghua University, Siena University (Italy), Essex University (UK), IDIAP (Switzerland), TIT (Japan), ETRI (Korea), HKPU (Hong Kong). He has published more than 150 refereed publications. He is member of Editorial Boards of six journals. He supervised over 25 postgraduate students. He is a recipient of many awards and funded projects exceeding $1M and was awarded JSPS, ETRI, and Tsinghua fellowships. He received Excellent Teaching Awards for 2005 and 2012. He is a Member of APSIPA and Senior Member of IEEE.
Research | Current
Signal and Speech Processing
Active Noise Control
Parametric Acoustic Speakers
Hyperspectral Imaging to Quantify Food Quality
Teaching | Current
Signal Processing, Circuits and Systems, Human Biometrics
Deputy Head of Department (Academic)
Areas of expertise
His research interest: Human Biometrics, Narrow Sound Beam Projection, Hyperspectral Imaging Applications, Speech and Signal Processing, and Active Noise Control
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Chalakkal, R. J., & Abdulla, W. (2017). Automatic segmentation of retinal vasculature. 2017 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing Proceedings, 886-890. New Orleans, USA: IEEE. 10.1109/ICASSP.2017.7952283
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Renoh Johnson Chalakkal
- Bao, F., & Abdulla, W. H. (2016). A Noise Masking Method with Adaptive Thresholds based on CASA. Paper presented at Asia-Pacific Signal and Information Processing Association Annual Summit and Conference (APSIPA), Jeju, SOUTH KOREA. 13 December - 16 December 2016. 2016 ASIA-PACIFIC SIGNAL AND INFORMATION PROCESSING ASSOCIATION ANNUAL SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE (APSIPA). (pp. 5).
- Ardekani, I. T., & Abdulla, W. H. (2014). Active Noise Control in Three Dimensions. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 22 (6), 2150-2159. 10.1109/TCST.2014.2301457
- Lin, Y., & Abdulla, W. H. (2014). Audio Watermark A Comprehensive Foundation Using MATLAB. Springer. Pages: 199.
- Tabatabaei Ardekani, I., & Abdulla, W. H. (2014). Adaptive signal processing algorithms for creating spatial zones of quiet. Digital Signal Processing: A Review Journal, 27 (1), 129-139. 10.1016/j.dsp.2014.01.001
- Ardekani, I. T., Abdulla, W. H., & Rehman, S. U. (2014). Remote FxLMS Algorithm for Active Control of Sound in Remote Locations. Paper presented at Annual Summit and Conference of Asia-Pacific-Signal-and-Information-Processing-Association (APSIPA), Angkor, CAMBODIA. 9 December - 12 December 2014. 2014 ASIA-PACIFIC SIGNAL AND INFORMATION PROCESSING ASSOCIATION ANNUAL SUMMIT AND CONFERENCE (APSIPA). (pp. 5).
- Krivokuca, V., Abdulla, W., & Swain, A. (2013). A non-invertible cancellable fingerprint construct based on compact minutiae patterns. International Journal of Biometrics, 6 (2), 125-142. 10.1504/IJBM.2014.060977
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Akshya Swain
- Abdelhamid, A. A., Abdulla, W. H., & MacDonald, B. A. (2012). RoboASR: A dynamic speech recognition system for service robots. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). 10.1007/978-3-642-34103-8_49
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bruce MacDonald