Professor Wayne Stephen Cutfield
BHB MB ChB DCH MD FRACP
The Institute’s leader is Professor of Paediatric Endocrinology at The University of Auckland and an expert on insulin sensitivity and action in children.
A graduate of The University of Auckland School of Medicine, Professor Wayne Cutfield is a former Director of Endocrinology at Auckland’s Starship Children’s Hospital where he was responsible for innovations in the care of children with hormone based conditions such as diabetes and growth disorders. He has been involved in the training and administration of training of junior doctors in Paediatrics and Paediatric Endocrinology through the Royal Australasian College of Physicians and the Endocrinology Specialist Advisory Committee.
Professor Cutfield has been Chairman of the New Zealand Growth Hormone Committee since 2000 and was Deputy Director of the Liggins Institute 2007-2009.
He established the Maurice and Agnes Paykel Clinical Research Unit at the Liggins Institute where he currently leads clinical research which shows how environmental influences early in life can affect childhood growth and development in ways that could lead to chronic conditions in adult life.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Ayyavoo, A., Derraik, J. G., Hofman, P. L., Biggs, J., Bloomfield, F. H., Cormack, B. E., ... Cutfield, W. S. (2013). Severe hyperemesis gravidarum is associated with reduced insulin sensitivity in the offspring in childhood. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 98 (8), 3263-3268. 10.1210/jc.2013-2043
- Ayyavoo, A., Savage, T., Derraik, J. G., Hofman, P. L., & Cutfield, W. S. (2013). First-born children have reduced insulin sensitivity and higher daytime blood pressure compared to later-born children. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 98 (3), 1248-1253. 10.1210/jc.2012-3531
- Mathai, S., Derraik, J. G., Cutfield, W. S., Dalziel, S. R., Harding, J. E., Biggs, J., ... Hofman, P. L. (2013). Increased adiposity in adults born preterm and their children. PLoS One, 8 (11),10.1371/journal.pone.0081840
- Ayyavoo, A., Derraik, J. G., Hofman, P. L., Mathai, S., Biggs, J., Stone, P., ... Cutfield, W. S. (2013). Pre-pubertal children born post-term have reduced insulin sensitivity and other markers of the metabolic syndrome. PLoS One, 8 (7),10.1371/journal.pone.0067966
- de Bock, M., Derraik, J. G., Brennan, C. M., Biggs, J. B., Morgan, P. E., Hodgkinson, S. C., ... Cutfield, W. S. (2013). Olive (Olea europaea L.) leaf polyphenols improve insulin sensitivity in middle-aged overweight men: a randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover trial. PLoS One, 8 (3),10.1371/journal.pone.0057622
- Savage, T., Derraik, J. G., Miles, H. L., Mouat, F., Hofman, P. L., & Cutfield, W. S. (2013). Increasing maternal age is associated with taller stature and reduced abdominal fat in their children. PLoS One, 8 (3),10.1371/journal.pone.0058869
- Mathai, S., Cutfield, W. S., Derraik, J. G., Dalziel, S. R., Harding, J. E., Robinson, E., ... Hofman, P. L. (2012). Insulin sensitivity and β-cell function in adults born preterm and their children. Diabetes, 61 (10), 2479-2483. 10.2337/db11-1672
- Savage, T., Peek, J. C., Robinson, E. M., Green, M. P., Miles, H. L., Mouat, F., ... Cutfield, W. S. (2012). Ovarian stimulation leads to shorter stature in childhood. Hum Reprod, 27 (10), 3092-3099. 10.1093/humrep/des249
Eleanor Surtida, PA Ext 81966
8.30am-5.00pm Monday - Friday except Public Holidays
Level 1, Room 529-129
2-6 PARK AVE