Associate Professor Meng Wai Woo
Wai is an Associate Professor in the Department of Chemical & Materials Engineering. Prior to the current role, he was a Senior Lecturer in Monash University, Australia (2015-2018). Currently, he is also an Adjunct Associate Professor at Soochow University. He obtained his PhD in Chemical Engineering from the National University of Malaysia in 2010.
His research expertise focuses on food engineering, in particular on the spray drying process. He also specializes in utilizing the computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis for the food and process industry.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Xiao, P. L., Mansouri, S., Suriya Hena, V., Bong, Y. K., Hapgood, K., & Woo, M. W. (2019). Spontaneous ethanol–water emulsification as a precursor for porous particle formation: Understanding the role of dissolved carbohydrates. Particuology, 44, 44-53. 10.1016/j.partic.2018.06.004
- Shakiba, S., Mansouri, S., Selomulya, C., & Woo, M. W. (2019). Time scale based analysis of in-situ crystal formation in droplet undergoing rapid dehydration. International journal of pharmaceutics, 560, 47-56. 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2018.12.045
- Jubaer, H., Xiao, J., Chen, X. D., Selomulya, C., & Woo, M. W. (2019). Identification of regions in a spray dryer susceptible to forced agglomeration by CFD simulations. Powder Technology, 346, 23-37. 10.1016/j.powtec.2019.01.088
- Lum, A., Cardamone, N., Beliavski, R., Mansouri, S., Hapgood, K., & Woo, M. W. (2019). Unusual drying behaviour of droplets containing organic and inorganic solutes in superheated steam. Journal of Food Engineering, 244, 64-72. 10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2018.09.021
- Qiu, R., Yuan, S., Xiao, J., Chen, X. D., Selomulya, C., Zhang, X., & Woo, M. W. (2019). Effects of Edge Functional Groups on Water Transport in Graphene Oxide Membranes. ACS applied materials & interfaces, 11 (8), 8483-8491. 10.1021/acsami.9b00492
- Wang, Y., Zhu, Y., Afshar, S., Woo, M. W., Tang, J., Williams, T., ... Selomulya, C. (2019). One-dimensional CoS2-MoS2 nano-flakes decorated MoO2 sub-micro-wires for synergistically enhanced hydrogen evolution. Nanoscale, 11 (8), 3500-3505. 10.1039/c8nr08418a
- Darmali, C., Mansouri, S., Yazdanpanah, N., & Woo, M. W. (2019). Mechanisms and Control of Impurities in Continuous Crystallization: A Review. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 58 (4), 1463-1479. 10.1021/acs.iecr.8b04560
- Jubaer, H., Afshar, S., Xiao, J., Chen, X. D., Selomulya, C., & Woo, M. W. (2019). On the effect of turbulence models on CFD simulations of a counter-current spray drying process. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 141, 592-607. 10.1016/j.cherd.2018.11.024