Mr Xie Quin Lim
Research | Current
Current PhD thesis :
Permanent Visitor: New Zealand’s Queer Asian Migrants, Identity, and Mediated Social Exchange
My PhD thesis examines how queer Asian migrants negotiate their existence and social position in New Zealand through the use of mobile dating/networking apps.
Teaching | Current
Graduate Teaching Assistant for the following papers:
- 2012 - FTVMS 101 (Film Studies)
- 2013- FTVMS 225 (Journalism Studies) and FTVMS 110/G (Advertising and Society)
- 2014- FTVMS 225 and FTVMS 110/G
- 2015- FTVMS 225, FTVMS 110/G, FTVMS 213/324 (Gender, Media and Politics)
- 2016- FTVMS 225, FTVMS 213/324
Technoculture and New Media: Guest Speaker (2015-2016)
University of Auckland's New Start Program: Lecturer (2016)
University of Auckland's Summer Research Scholarship 2010
Areas of expertise
Sexuality and Gender Studies
Race and Ethnicity
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Lim, X. Q. (2016). Unspoken desires: Negotiating homosexuality in On Suffocation. Short Film Studies, 6 (1), 109-112. 10.1386/sfs.6.1.109_1
- Lim, J. (2015). Hookup apps and Asia's HIV epidemic. http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/7/article_17695.php. Related URL.
- Lim, X. Q. (2013). Meet the new Mr Gay Waikato, Levi Bloor. http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/33/article_13959.php. Related URL.
- Lim, X. Q., & Bennie, J. (2013). HALL OF FAME Obituary: Peter Taylor, 1953 - 2013. http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/34/printer_13940.php. Related URL.
- Lim, X. Q. (2013). Meet Rainbow Youth's new General Manager. http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/35/article_13918.php. Related URL.
- Lim, X. Q. (2013). Constructing The Epidemic: HIV/AIDS portrayal on New Zealand alternative media The University of Auckland. ResearchSpace@Auckland. Related URL.