Dr Yannan Jiang
Yannan gained the first degree in Mathematics from Beijing Normal University, and completed her MSc and PhD degrees in Statistics at the University of Auckland. A major focus of her research is designing innovative intervention trials to improve population health in New Zealand and other countries. As a study co-investigator and principal statistician, she has been involved in a wide range of research and commercial projects working with different organisations and providing statistical advice on study design, data monitoring, statistical analysis and reporting, and expert review. Yannan has been a senior statistical consultant of the Statistical Consulting Centre (SCC) since its inception in 2009, and is an invited statistical reviewer for the Lancet and other medical journals. She was elected to the membership of International Statistical Institute (ISI) in 2012, and is a member of the New Zealand Statistical Association (NZSA).
Research | Current
Yannan's current research areas include: clincial trials in nutrition and physical activity, newborn and pregnant women, diabetes and heart diseases; cluster randomized trial design; national survey design and analysis; longitudinal studies; case-control sampling and missing data problems.
I supervise postgraduate students on research projects in the Faculty of Science and Faculty of Medical & Health Sciences.
Areas of expertise
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Waterlander, W. E., Jiang, Y., Nghiem, N., Eyles, H., Wilson, N., Cleghorn, C., ... Blakely, T. (2019). The effect of food price changes on consumer purchases: a randomised experiment. The Lancet. Public health, 4 (8), e394-e405. 10.1016/s2468-2667(19)30105-7
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Helen Eyles, Cliona Ni Mhurchu
- Kerr, A., Lee, M., Grey, C., Pegg, T., Fisher, N., White, H., ... Scott, T. (2019). Acute reperfusion for ST-elevation myocardial infarction in New Zealand (2015-2017): patient and system delay (ANZACS-QI 29). The New Zealand medical journal, 132 (1498), 41-59.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Matire Harwood, Corina Grey, Rachel Chen
- Curtis, E., Paine, S.-J., Jiang, Y., Jones, P., Tomash, I., Raumati, I., & Reid, P. (2019). Examining emergency department inequities: Do they exist?. Emergency medicine Australasia : EMA, 31 (3), 444-450. 10.1111/1742-6723.13315
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Peter Jones, Sarah-Jane Paine, Papaarangi Reid
- Direito, A., Tooley, M., Hinbarji, M., Albatal, R., Jiang, Y., Whittaker, R., & Maddison, R. (2019). Tailored Daily Activity: An Adaptive Physical Activity Smartphone Intervention. TELEMEDICINE AND E-HEALTH10.1089/tmj.2019.0034
- Leong, K. S. W., Jayasinghe, T. N., Derraik, J. G. B., Albert, B. B., Chiavaroli, V., Svirskis, D. M., ... Schierding, W. (2019). Protocol for the Gut Bugs Trial: a randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial of gut microbiome transfer for the treatment of obesity in adolescents. BMJ open, 9 (4)10.1136/bmjopen-2018-026174
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Karen Leong, José Derraik, Ben Albert, Darren Svirskis, William Schierding, Tommi Vatanen, Wayne Cutfield, Justin O'Sullivan
- Kerr, A. J., Lee, M., Jiang, Y., Grey, C., Wells, S., Williams, M., ... Poppe, K. (2019). High level of capture of coronary intervention and associated acute coronary syndromes in the all New Zealand acute coronary syndrome quality improvement cardiac registry and excellent agreement with national administrative datasets (ANZACS-QI 25). The New Zealand medical journal, 132 (1492), 19-29.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rod Jackson, Corina Grey, Katrina Poppe, Susan Wells
- Wang, T. K. M., Grey, C., Jiang, Y., Jackson, R., & Kerr, A. (2019). TRENDS IN ACUTE CORONARY SYNDROME INCIDENCE, INVASIVE MANAGEMENT AND MORTALITY OUTCOMES IN NEW ZEALAND 2006-2016: A NATIONAL ANZACS-QI DATA LINKAGE STUDY. Paper presented at 68th Annual Scientific Session and Expo of the American-College-of-Cardiology (ACC), New Orleans, LA. 16 March - 18 March 2019. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF CARDIOLOGY. (pp. 1). 10.1016/S0735-1097(19)30674-6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Corina Grey, Rod Jackson
- Lovell, A. L., Davies, P. S. W., Hill, R. J., Milne, T., Matsuyama, M., Jiang, Y., ... Wall, C. R. (2019). A comparison of the effect of a Growing Up Milk - Lite (GUMLi) v. cows' milk on longitudinal dietary patterns and nutrient intakes in children aged 12-23 months: the GUMLi randomised controlled trial. The British journal of nutrition, 121 (6), 678-687. 10.1017/s0007114518003847
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rachel Chen, Cameron Grant, Clare Wall, Amy Lovell
Extension number 88490
Primary office location
SCIENCE CENTRE 303S - Bldg 303S
Level 3, Room 393
38 PRINCES ST