Dr Yannan Jiang
Yannan gained the first degree in Mathematics from Beijing Normal University, and completed her MSc and PhD degrees in Statistics at the University of Auckland. A major focus of her research is designing innovative intervention trials to improve population health in New Zealand and other countries. As a study co-investigator and principal statistician, she has been involved in a wide range of research and commercial projects working with different organisations and providing statistical advice on study design, data monitoring, statistical analysis and reporting, and expert review. Yannan has been a senior statistical consultant of the Statistical Consulting Centre (SCC) since its inception in 2009, and is an invited statistical reviewer for the Lancet and other medical journals. She was elected to the membership of International Statistical Institute (ISI) in 2012, and is a member of the New Zealand Statistical Association (NZSA).
Research | Current
Yannan's current research areas include: clincial trials in nutrition and physical activity, newborn and pregnant women, diabetes and heart diseases; cluster randomized trial design; national survey design and analysis; longitudinal studies; case-control sampling and missing data problems.
I supervise postgraduate students on research projects in the Faculty of Science and Faculty of Medical & Health Sciences.
Areas of expertise
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Curtis, E., Paine, S.-J., Jiang, Y., Jones, P., Tomash, I., Raumati, I., & Reid, P. (2019). Examining emergency department inequities: Do they exist?. Emergency medicine Australasia : EMA10.1111/1742-6723.13315
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Peter Jones, Sarah-Jane Paine, Papaarangi Reid
- Leong, K. S. W., Jayasinghe, T. N., Derraik, J. G. B., Albert, B. B., Chiavaroli, V., Svirskis, D. M., ... Schierding, W. (2019). Protocol for the Gut Bugs Trial: a randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial of gut microbiome transfer for the treatment of obesity in adolescents. BMJ open, 9 (4)10.1136/bmjopen-2018-026174
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Karen Leong, Jose Derraik, Darren Svirskis, William Schierding, Tommi Vatanen, Justin O'Sullivan
- Kerr, A. J., Lee, M., Jiang, Y., Grey, C., Wells, S., Williams, M., ... Poppe, K. (2019). High level of capture of coronary intervention and associated acute coronary syndromes in the all New Zealand acute coronary syndrome quality improvement cardiac registry and excellent agreement with national administrative datasets (ANZACS-QI 25). The New Zealand medical journal, 132 (1492), 19-29.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rod Jackson, Corina Grey, Katrina Poppe, Susan Wells
- Wang, T. K. M., Grey, C., Jiang, Y., Jackson, R., & Kerr, A. (2019). TRENDS IN ACUTE CORONARY SYNDROME INCIDENCE, INVASIVE MANAGEMENT AND MORTALITY OUTCOMES IN NEW ZEALAND 2006-2016: A NATIONAL ANZACS-QI DATA LINKAGE STUDY. Paper presented at 68th Annual Scientific Session and Expo of the American-College-of-Cardiology (ACC), New Orleans, LA. 16 March - 18 March 2019. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF CARDIOLOGY. (pp. 1). 10.1016/S0735-1097(19)30674-6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Corina Grey, Rod Jackson
- Lovell, A. L., Davies, P. S. W., Hill, R. J., Milne, T., Matsuyama, M., Jiang, Y., ... Wall, C. R. (2019). A comparison of the effect of a Growing Up Milk - Lite (GUMLi) v. cows' milk on longitudinal dietary patterns and nutrient intakes in children aged 12-23 months: the GUMLi randomised controlled trial. The British journal of nutrition, 121 (6), 678-687. 10.1017/s0007114518003847
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rachel Chen, Cameron Grant, Clare Wall
- Wall, C. R., Hill, R. J., Lovell, A. L., Matsuyama, M., Milne, T., Grant, C. C., ... Davies, P. S. W. (2019). A multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial to evaluate the effect of consuming Growing Up Milk "Lite" on body composition in children aged 12-23 mo. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 109 (3), 576-585. 10.1093/ajcn/nqy302
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Cameron Grant, Clare Wall, Rachel Chen, Trecia Wouldes
- Maddison, R., Hargreaves, E. A., Wyke, S., Gray, C. M., Hunt, K., Heke, J. I., ... Jiang, Y. (2019). Rugby Fans in Training New Zealand (RUFIT-NZ): a pilot randomized controlled trial of a healthy lifestyle program for overweight men delivered through professional rugby clubs in New Zealand. BMC public health, 19 (1)10.1186/s12889-019-6472-3
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Cliona Ni Mhurchu, Gerhard Sundborn, Andrew Jull
- Liu, Z., Li, Q., Maddison, R., Ni Mhurchu, C., Jiang, Y., Wei, D.-M., ... Wang, H.-J. (2019). A School-Based Comprehensive Intervention for Childhood Obesity in China: A Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial. Childhood obesity (Print), 15 (2), 105-115. 10.1089/chi.2018.0251
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Cliona Ni Mhurchu
Extension number 88490
Primary office location
SCIENCE CENTRE 303S - Bldg 303S
Level 3, Room 393
38 PRINCES ST