Dr Yannan Jiang
I gained the first degree in Mathematics from Beijing Normal University, and completed my MSc and PhD degrees in Statistics at the University of Auckland in 2004. A major focus of my research is designing innovative intervention trials to improve population health in New Zealand and other countries. In 2005, I joined the National Institute for Health Innovation (formerly Clinical Trials Research Unit) in the School of Population Health. As the Senior Biostatistician and Study Co-investigator in their research programmes, I lead in trial design, statistical methodology, data analysis and reports across a wide range of clinical studies. I am the named co-investigator in a number of national and international research projects led by the Liggins Institute, and have worked collaboratively with Conectus on their national studies.
I am a Senior Statistical Consultant of the Statistical Consulting Centre in the Department of Statistics from its inception in 2009, providing consultancy to external clients across a wide variety of statistical services including advice on study design, data monitoring, statistical analysis and reporting, and expert review. In 2012 I was elected to membership of the International Statistical Institute (ISI). I am an invited statistical reviewer for The Lancet and other medical journals, and also a member of the New Zealand Statistical Association (NZSA) and the Society for Clinical Trials (SCT).
Research | Current
My current research areas include: clincial trials in nutrition and physical activity, newborn and pregnant women, diabetes and heart diseases; cluster randomized trial design; national survey design and analysis, longitudinal studies and missing data problems.
I supervise postgraduate students on research projects in the Faculty of Science and Faculty of Medical & Health Sciences.
Yannan is a consultant within the Department of Statistics Statistical Consulting Centre.
Areas of expertise
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Maddison, R., Rawstorn, J. C., Stewart, R. A. H., Benatar, J., Whittaker, R., Rolleston, A., ... Warren, I. (2018). Effects and costs of real-time cardiac telerehabilitation: randomised controlled non-inferiority trial. Heart (British Cardiac Society)10.1136/heartjnl-2018-313189
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nicholas Gant, Andrew Meads
- Verbiest, M., Borrell, S., Dalhousie, S., Tupa'i-Firestone R, Funaki, T., Goodwin, D., ... Humphrey, G. (2018). A Co-Designed, Culturally-Tailored mHealth Tool to Support Healthy Lifestyles in Māori and Pasifika Communities in New Zealand: Protocol for a Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial. JMIR research protocols, 7 (8)10.2196/10789
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Gayl Humphrey, Andrew Jull, Cliona Ni Mhurchu
- Marsh, S., Jiang, Y., Carter, K., & Wall, C. (2018). Evaluation of a Free Milk in Schools Program in New Zealand: Effects on Children's Milk Consumption and Anthropometrics. The Journal of school health, 88 (8), 596-604. 10.1111/josh.12649
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Samantha Marsh, Clare Wall
- Eyles, H., Jiang, Y., Blakely, T., Neal, B., Crowley, J., Cleghorn, C., & Ni Mhurchu, C. (2018). Five year trends in the serve size, energy, and sodium contents of New Zealand fast foods: 2012 to 2016. Nutrition journal, 17 (1)10.1186/s12937-018-0373-7
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Helen Eyles, Cliona Ni Mhurchu
- Bloomfield, F. H., Harding, J. E., Meyer, M. P., Alsweiler, J. M., Jiang, Y., Wall, C. R., ... DIAMOND Study Group (2018). The DIAMOND trial - DIfferent Approaches to MOderate & late preterm Nutrition: Determinants of feed tolerance, body composition and development: protocol of a randomised trial. BMC pediatrics, 18 (1)10.1186/s12887-018-1195-7
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Frank Bloomfield, Jane Harding, Jane Alsweiler, Clare Wall, David Cameron-Smith, Justin O'Sullivan, Tanith Alexander
- Griffin, J. B., Yu, L., Watson, D., Turner, N., Walls, T., Howe, A. S., ... Petousis-Harris, H. (2018). Pertussis Immunisation in Pregnancy Safety (PIPS) Study: A retrospective cohort study of safety outcomes in pregnant women vaccinated with Tdap vaccine. Vaccine10.1016/j.vaccine.2018.07.011
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Anna Howe, Nikki Turner
- Dobson, R., Whittaker, R., Jiang, Y., Maddison, R., Shepherd, M., McNamara, C., ... Murphy, R. (2018). Effectiveness of text message based, diabetes self management support programme (SMS4BG): two arm, parallel randomised controlled trial. BMJ (Clinical research ed.), 36110.1136/bmj.k1959
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rosie Dobson, Rinki Murphy
- Dobson, R., Whittaker, R., Jiang, Y., Maddison, R., Shepherd, M., Cutfield, R., ... Murphy, R. (2018). TEXT MESSAGE-BASED DIABETES SELF-MANAGEMENT SUPPORT: RESULTS FROM THE SMS4BG RANDOMISED CONTROLLED TRIAL. ANNALS OF BEHAVIORAL MEDICINE. (pp. 1).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rinki Murphy, Rosie Dobson, Matthew Shepherd
Extension number 88490
Primary office location
SCIENCE CENTRE 303S - Bldg 303S
Level 3, Room 393
38 PRINCES ST